Christopher Dammann - Make A Distinction OST

An original soundtrack by Christopher Dammann
for a film by Andrew Mausert-Mooney and Kera MacKenzie
awarded “Best of the Festival” by the Chicago Filmmaker’s Onion City festival.

All proceeds go to the Liberation Library: Bringing Books to Incarcerated Young People
credits
released June 11, 2021

Music by
Christopher Dammann - composition & synths
in collaboration with
James Davis - trumpet
Ben Billington - drums

Orchestration - Catherine Nguyen
Recording & Mixing - Nick Broste

Sound Recording and Design - Kera MacKenzie & Andrew Mausert-Mooney
Final Sound Mix - Ralph Loza

Original Text - Kera MacKenzie, Andrew Mausert-Mooney & Ro Joonho

some information about the film

some nerdy process info:

Inspiration for the soundtrack came from Pink Siifu’s awesome record, NEGRO; David Jackman who I discovered through the lines drone thread & some tricks were taken from the lines creative convolution thread for track 3.

Most of the trumpet was feed into a feedback loop I made between a boss mixer and a Moog grandmother. The bass was a Moog sub25 and the noise/controlled feedback is a Moog sub37 using the looping envelopes as a oscillator. Everything was sequenced in Reaper that the drums and trumpet tracked live to.

3 Likes

This sounds great and it’s awesome that your music was featured in a film that won an award! I love the vibes of “Eclipse”—super chill.

Nice release and thanks for sharing it with us. Was really interesting and awesome to learn how this connects with your experience here.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out. I appreciate it. Lines was a great resource during quarantine when I couldn’t check out new live music.

At some point the film will be streaming somewhere online. I’ll make sure to update the thread then.

2 Likes

Hey, Chris! Didn’t know you where on lines. Great to see you. Hope to play again.
Mike Sokolowski

Hi Mike!!

Hopefully we get to hang and play again soon. I hope to get back to VA with a group sometime in 2022…

Looking forward to it, sir. I’ve been working with synths and Live so much since C-19, that my piano chops have been sleeping a bit. Time to wake them up.