Circles

One more quick update. Circles now supports the system saving/loading of params. See the PARAMETERS section of https://monome.org/docs/norns/ for more information.

4 Likes

With the release of crow 1.0.3 and Norns 200121 the crow + jf messaging bug seems to be fixed so I’m releasing circles 1.4 with crow + jf support! Enjoy!

6 Likes

This video is great! Is all the JF data being sent from the norns alone? I guess the grid is using Kria on the ansible?

Thanks! Kria is ONLY being used as a clock divider. All sounds are JF going through Three Sisters and then into Mimeophon. Norns is talking to crow via USB and crow is talking to JF via the I2C cable. Let me know if you have any other questions.

2 Likes

Is midi support still planned?

Along with that (or even without) it would be handy to be able to adjust the range of notes on screen. Maybe an octave control in the params?

Very fun script, thank you!

1 Like

I looked into MIDI a while back, I should look into that again. I’m kind of adding things as I want them and I don’t have a lot of use for MIDI, but I’ll explore it again. Scale selection is definitely something I want. I don’t have a ton of time to spend on this now, but I’ll look into both.

1 Like

a second for MIDI please!
:stuck_out_tongue:
don’t own crow and don’t have room in the modular rig for it.
all filled up.
:rofl:

2 Likes

Hoping this makes some of you happy. Still more work to do. You can follow along if you feel comfortable with git. Just check out the midi_support branch.

5 Likes

AWESOME!!!
looking forward to the next release!

2 Likes

Hot off the repo! v1.5 now with 100% more MIDI. Also, you can choose the scale root note and mode in the params. Enjoy!

9 Likes

hi, thanks for the script. i dont get the external clock running (op-z) midi trigger works great.

Hey. Not sure I understand. Are you saying you’re trying to clock Circles via an external clock and it’s not working? Any specifics about what your trying, what you expect to happen and what actually happened are helpful for diagnosing bugs. More details the better. :blush:

@jakecarter iam sorry. i ll try :slight_smile:

actualy the script works like it should.
i can trigger notes from circles and op-z recieve.
if i switch circles to external clock - the circles animation stops.
on op-z midi clock out and midi clock in is activated.

sorry for bad communication :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: if i change the bpm on opz, norns also adjust them

Ah! Ok thanks. I’ll look into it when I have some free time. Maybe this weekend. :crossed_fingers:

Can’t open the script on the latest norns version, I get the Error: Init message

no problems for me on latest. (CM3 factory norns, clean install)

so we would probably need to see your actual error message from the REPL to offer further insights.

Oh wow. I’m surprised people are still using my script. I’m sorry you’re having issues. I haven’t had time to update my Norns, but it sounds like @zebra has gotten it working. If you’re still having issues, please post the full error message from the REPL and I’ll see what I can do. I’m extremely busy these days with work and a move, but I’ll try to fix it as soon as I can.

Of course, it’s a fantastic script! I get this:

WARNING: Could not open directory: '/home/we/norns/sc/ugens'
	To resolve this, either create the directory or remove it from your compilation paths.

that’s not actually an error, and shouldnt pose a problem. (though it is sort of weird… i posted about this warning on the forum very recently… was that you also? basically, i would only expect to see this after some unusual reconfiguration, not after a clean install of the most recent image.)

the relevant error preventing the script from launching will be under the matron REPL tab.

I did a fresh installation with the newest norns version just about a week ago.

# script clear
# script load: /home/we/dust/code/circles/circles.lua
including /home/we/dust/code/circles/lib/math_helpers.lua
including /home/we/dust/code/circles/lib/libCircles.lua
including /home/we/dust/code/circles/lib/math_helpers.lua
# script run
loading engine: PolyPerc
>> reading PMAP /home/we/dust/data/circles/circles.pmap
m.read: /home/we/dust/data/circles/circles.pmap not read.
Engine.register_commands; count: 7
___ engine commands ___
amp	 	f
cutoff	 	f
gain	 	f
hz	 	f
pan	 	f
pw	 	f
release	 	f
___ polls ___
amp_in_l
amp_in_r
amp_out_l
amp_out_r
cpu_avg
cpu_peak
pitch_in_l
pitch_in_r
# script init
### SCRIPT ERROR: init
/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:122: paramset.add() error: id 'clock_source' is already used by another parameter
stack traceback:
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:145: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:145>
	[C]: in function 'error'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:122: in function 'core/paramset.add'
	/home/we/dust/code/circles/circles.lua:66: in global 'setupParams'
	/home/we/dust/code/circles/circles.lua:140: in global 'init'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:126: in function 'core/script.init'
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:146: in field 'try'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/engine.lua:91: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/engine.lua:89>