Circuitghost - new EP - When We Arrived - Conclusion to All That We Lost and That Which Remained

Hey all,

So this is my third and final EP in the sequence that started with All That We Lost, and then continued with That Which Remained -

While I wasn’t really planning to make three of these, I did secretly think when I released All That We Lost that it would be neat if I could make a trilogy, keep the work thematically close so that they might make up for a complete experience, and preferably use material between the three, to build a sense of coherence. I almost pulled it off.

The coherence is somewhat lacking by the fact that I switched some gear around that had a profound impact on the sound and recording of these pieces, and also because I learned a thing or two along the way that made the later sessions … well, better. Having said that, the approach to the music never changed, and that is what keeps these pieces together.

Free floating sequences, detached from each other but still in some kind of common orbit, make up the foundation. Each song could survive on just two loops, if it would come to that. Field recordings from over the seasons come and go, picked up with the Deluge because of the special character its limiter applies to the samples. Years ago, I owned a DFAM and some of the noise and kicks from that time, make up for the ambience and thumps you hear throughout all three EPs. All other sounds are from the Prophet 12, sequenced almost exclusively from the 1010 Blackbox and then recorded and processed. Much of the filtering and granular effects, pitching and stretching, comes from the Blackbox. Except when the Chase Bliss Mood enters, through which I resampled one or two pieces from every song, and then put it back, like a blanket around its own source. The Mood is all over these three bodies. I even ran drum loops through it. There’s a few sessions where only the wet output from a CXM 1978 act like a siren in the distance and the Generation Loss applies that idea of nostalgia to a simple lead, but that’s about it as far as external gear goes.

All three EP:s were summed and mixed on an SSL SiX, and this last one, When We Arrived, also mastered on an SSL Fusion. Everything recorded on a Zoom H1n+.

I did consider going back to the previous two EP:s and give them a workout with this latest kit. But decided not to. While part of a larger context, they’re their own story and it’s better to close this chapter now and move on.

I hope you like this one, and the other two, should you choose to explore those as well. I’ll see you around and take care now.

20 Likes

Congrats friend! I look forward to listening to this on repeat all day today.

3 Likes

Just hearing you say that, makes me wish we lived at least on the same continent :fist_right: :fist_left:

2 Likes

hearing just half of the 1st track sold me on the album

i’m quite curious about the fusion now as well…seems distinct

1 Like

Thank you so much for saying that, it’s really appreciated. And thank you for listening.

Yes, the Fusion really changed everything for me. If push came to shove, I’d keep it before the SiX. But so far, there’s been neither pushing nor shoving, so right now, I’m using them both.

1 Like

i have one of the other ep’s and each composition is unique so not totally fair, but i can notice a bit of difference in how wide and airy some of this sounds

plus the way it handles your drumming sounds ace

very cool pickup!

1 Like

Ah, you’re so right. I really did put some thought into going back and remastering the first two EP:s as well, but I do feel it’s time to move on. There’s this part of me that really would like the overall treatment on all three bodies to fit together, but then, that would take time away from whatever comes next, and I kind of like to think that this will have to be its own testament to what it was and who I was, at the time. Now, it doesn’t matter so much, but these things tend to matter a lot more, when a few years have passed.

2 Likes

This is a lovely recording. Really enjoying it!

1 Like

Thank you so much for saying and for listening :heart:

1 Like

fully in agreement with your choice

for fans it’s cool to see how new ideas and even changes in technical skills (or gear) change the outcome

stay focused on what’s ahead
and rest assured the previous work still sounds incredible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excited to check this out! I really enjoyed “That Which Remained” and am sure this will be equally great. Thanks for sharing your process—super-interesting!

1 Like

Thanks, I’m so glad to hear that :slight_smile: I could go on and process and workflow, but you’d never hear the end of it, if I did. Appreciate the support and that you took the time to listen to this one as well.

1 Like

That is so nice of you to say. I truly appreciate it.
:heart: :pray:

1 Like

This has been on repeat for me the last month or so. Staggeringly beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you. It means a lot to me that you’re saying this and sharing this. I’m in some sort of post release thing now and not writing any new music at all, the urge is at least temporarily gone. And I feel pretty good about that. I go back and listen to this stuff and it almost feels I didn’t write this music, haha :slight_smile: odd thing.

But thank you for sharing and for listening and take care :heart:

2 Likes

This is really nice! Great music and congrats on the release
Good way to start a Monday morning at work :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I’m very happy to hear I could contribute to your Monday morning. Take care now :slight_smile:

1 Like