Cocktails and Spirits

The main problem with Fish House Punch is that it was originally made with peach brandy (literally, distilled fermented peach pulp, briefly aged in barrels in the style of American whiskeys), not peach-flavored liqueur. These things don’t taste that much alike, and the American peach brandy is hard to find. More info here:

That said, drink what you like. One way to massively upgrade your next punch (including this one) is to make an oleo-saccharum—this works for punches that contain lemon, lime, grapefruit and/or orange juice. In advance, peel your citrus (use the thinnest peeler you can find) and place the peels in a jar that has a lid. Add the sugar called for in the punch to the jar. Seal and shake well. Put it down and walk away for 20 minutes. Shake it hard again, then put it down for another 20 minutes. After this point, the sugar will have extracted all the essential oils from your citrus. When you’re ready to complete the punch, squeeze the citrus and add it to the jar. Seal and shake until the oil-laden sugar is dissolved. Strain out the spent peels and proceed.

Orange Bitters (Angostura or Reagans) Hella Smoked Chili Bitters, and Peach Bitters works wonders with bourbon stirred drinks. There is one brand that I am not huge fan of, but must admit that their ‘plum’ bitters gives anything you put it in an almost magical candy sparkle.

I’ve yet to find any peach brandy here in Australia, but I really hope someone brings one to market soon. The US is lightyears ahead of us when it comes to spirit varieties, can’t decide whether I want to get in to importing or distilling first. As a huge fan of peach liqueurs (and peach flavours in general…get at me on instagram @peachpanthers heh) I found this wonderful aperitif made from peach leaf/fruit steeped in white wine, called Rinquinquin. It is absolutely delightful.

Oh man this thread makes me so happy, there are so few people to geek out with like this IRL.

I’m definite gonna try this. Where do you bartend? (My wife is a ringer and the real brains behind our cocktail operation. She worked at mayahuel, flatiron lounge, la descarga and a few other Huston brother places in LA)

So glad we started this thread. I have a quite a few more recipes I can share.

I cut my teeth over the last two years managing a place called The Whistler, I went in wanting to learn more about making cocktails, ended up running the joint…it was one of the best and worst places I ever worked. I quit about 2 months ago to start my own bar with my partner. I’ve posted about it here a little, but it is going to be called Captain’s Daughter, and it will be a little ‘dark tiki’ dive/neighborhood bar. We put in our license application yesterday, still got a lot of work to do before we can open the doors. I’m currently doing the POS system and menu graphic design…I’ll send you a link a little later.
Also your wife worked at Flatiron?! I literally read an article about that place yesterday! It sounds like it was quite the institution.

My partner is also a bartender, she got me my first job behind a bar, I never knew this was what I was born to do before I stepped behind the stick. I owe her everything for it. And please do share recipes! If either of you have anything that really sticks out to me, I might run it as a special. Same goes to anyone here for that matter! I love being able to shoutout the people who inspire me.

Wow that’s amazing congrats!!!
That industry is tough but it sounds like you have a great concept. I’d love to check it out. My wife and I LOVE tiki. Our favorite tiki bar ever is a place called Tiki Ti in Los Angeles. It’s such a little dive, it’s fantastic.
I’ll have to dig up more recipes. They are spread out over notes and email to myself all over the place.

Haha I’ve actually watched videos of the little bull they have that goes up and down the bar TORO TORO TORO! Such a great little bit. I think they are one of the oldest, still standing, tiki bars in world. I hope I get to visit one day, there are so many bars over there that I have to see.

I would love to have people from lines drop by, I will put a discount in the till just in case anyone ever makes it in.

I am starting to think I may have to try and cut down my alcohol consumption. To that end I ordered a bottle of Seedlip’s Spice

Non alcoholic spirit. May be terrible, may be nice. I shall report back.

Let me know how this goes, I’m very skeptical about this company and the way they have dominated the conversation about non-alcoholic drinks with their $50 a bottle of herb water. I get this real bougie ‘snake oil’ vibe about it. My spidey-sense goes into over drive when products like this hit the market, are hyped so much and have influencers spruiking it.
I don’t mean to shit on your endeavor though! Low ABV cocktails are my jam lately.

This Bourbon-like Whiskey mixed to taste with this Ginger Brew is pretty tasty.

I totally agree! Would not even have considered it had I not received an amazon voucher! I think there are a few companies over here (uk) in the same marketplace and pricing is very similar.

I have a gin based social evening at work coming up, and I plan on slipping this into the mix!

I’m generally reluctant to spend $50 on a bottle of aged spirits; can’t imagine doing so for whatever is in that Seedlip bottle. Moreover, I’m pretty sure “non-alcoholic spirit” is a contradiction in terms. There are hydrosols, of course, where you’re doing flavor extraction with water in a still (e.g., rosewater)—that technique tends to yield different flavors than alcohol extraction, but it all depends on what is water soluble in a given botanical.

I think the most productive tool for building non-alcoholic drinks is shrub (drinking vinegar). Vinegars—I guess it’s mainly the acetic acid—bring heftier, complex flavors that resemble those in spiritous mixed drinks. Of course, they do tilt matters in a tart direction. For winier non-alcoholic drinks, I would look for unfermented grape juices from wine grapes (e.g., Gewurtztraminer)—they can be hard to find, but good ones are more complex and “adult” than what we normally think of “grape juice”. For savory/herbal drinks, I think there’s some need for innovation, but clarified (fresh) tomato juice and the salt lassi of India seem like jumping off points.

The newish New York bar Existing Conditions (really the second coming of Booker & Dax) has put several non-alcoholic drinks at the top of their menu, priced the same as their alcoholic offerings (US$16!) It’s an interesting experiment, and the drinks are much labored-over and tasty, but folks tend to feel they shouldn’t cost as much as the alcoholic drinks.

I did look into their process (alcohol distillation and then removing the alcohol) so I kind of understand the costs are still roughly what they would be to create botanical spirits… but still I think it is the marketing and that people are coughing up for it, that really bothers me. I look forward to hearing your report, I did find one review that wasn’t praising them, noted that it was weaker in flavour than you would expect.

On the note of low/no ABV drinks, this one relies on a brand of liqueur called Tempus Fugit Creme De Banane. It is fanastic, it tastes like a cooked banana/banana bread, if you can’t get it…there is a chance that the cocktail might not work with other brands. Other banana liqueurs tend towards candy banana and this one is a bit more upstanding ta

Banana Spritz
30ml Tempus Fugit Creme de Banane
60ml Sparkling Wine (champagne or brut)
20ml Fresh Lime Juice
15ml Sugar Syrup

Dry shake Creme de Banane, Lime and Sugar, pour into highball glass.
Fill with ice and top with soda, garnish with an umbrella or mint sprig.

Adjust measures to suit preference/flavour/strength of character.

Shrubs definitely have a place in bars, but I think the king of that space in the future will end up being Kombucha. A few brands are already trying to market themselves as low alcohol options with all the complexity of a good white wine. I haven’t tried anything yet, but the idea is fermenting…heh.

Runs to the store to find banana liquor

This is one of my favorites and like @saintcloud this one requires a special ingredient. It’s a very unique very vegetal Agricole rum.

—-Smoke and Cane—-
1.5oz St. George Agricole Rum
1oz Lemon
.5oz Yellow Chartreuse
.5oz Vida
.5oz Velvet Falernum

If you like gin you should check out

Half Hitch Gin
They are local to the London area. I got to meet them last time I was there.

Here in Liverpool UK we seem to have a large choice of locally made gins, including the tourist-catnip that is Liverpool Gin.

I chanced upon another local concoction that is head and shoulders above anything else I’ve tried - and I’ve tried a lot !hic!.

Turncoat make some ‘gimmicky’ gin variations but the London Dry is absolutely sublime. ( I am unconnected and unrelated to these people and products in any way ).

It’s really good.

kombucha has such a huge range and soon I am hoping gt’s will cease to dominate with so many local operations (though I do love their green)

yesfolk (based in Troy) make some of the most incredible and interesting I’ve tasted. their oolong and Jasmine varieties are unreal