Coffee thought talk process

i’m a coffee geek and i’m sure many others here are as well. there were decaf jokes a while back and murmurs of a desire to discuss the liquid more recently so it seemed high time to initiate this thread in the most special of online environments. i know i have more to learn and i am also sure we could help each other up our game, experiment and deepen enjoyment of life/coffee.

how far down the rabbit hole have you gone?

what’s your water like?

favorite regions/roasters/sellers/cups/brewers/pourovers/filters/temps/kettles/grinders/scales/glass etc etc etc etc

i’ve been tinkering for at least a decade always inching in on the best single cup of coffee in the morning i can reasonably muster. i’ve converted the coffee drinking loved ones within our compound to adopt my methods (to their pleasure) so we have a little coffee compound coven between my wife and my mother which really ups the ante and allows for tons of great beans to be around at any given point.

surprisingly to me, my favorite method is chemex. ive grown far less specific in terms of ideals of coffee origin regions and simultaneously far more specific in terms of my preferred roaster ideals.

madcap coffee, 10 yrs old this past month. i dare you to try that anniversary blend!

of course burr grinder is only way i know for good even and specific grind size/consistency.

we use a passive water softener/salt system but it just happened to be installed on the house when we bought it. we also use a brita.

bonavita electric gooseneck is what we’ve all come to enjoy most in use.

tons of favorite cups but standards atm are notneutral for home and well frankly to-go cups could be its own thread for me. it needs to be glass or ceramic of some kind internally. we’ve found various to-go mugs but getting the right size, right component/feel, heat considerations, etc most do not suit our purposes.

right now, what are you drinking?

elefante nuevo

what have you found on your coffee journey?

i am trying not to go on for ages (this is like 4 different posts worth of thoughts) i do don’t mean to shotgun. no way to sum it all up.

talktalk walkwalk

:coffee: :monkey_face: :coffee: :octopus:

Tapwater, cheap electric drip pot and generic whole beans bought in bulk. Come at me.

the best coffee experience I’ve had was in Costa Rica. my wife and I were on a river canoe jaunt and our guide took us to a small farm along the banks still maintained by a 101 year old man. they prepared us some of their homegrown coffee using an old sock.

home choices: light roast, ethiopia/kenya/kona preferred, old italian grinder, french press, berkey filtered water, electric kettle. the latter could be upgraded because I don’t think it hits the ideal temp.

Illy coffee + Bialetti moka :slight_smile:

Yes also great for tea (hope I didn’t say anything blasphemous there)! This plus porlex grinder, aeropress and manual frother is my kit. I love it for making espresso (kinda) macchiato (with oat milk) on Sundays. Also add a thermos and you can make amazing coffee everywhere! I’m supplying friend’s picnics with cappuccinos :smiley:

In the office we have a fancy grinder and espresso machine, which is too fancy for me to know the brand of; one of the bosses is coffee geek :heart:

Wish the water here in Berlin was better, recently experienced in Glasgow what a difference that makes!

A no-frills Delonghi espresso machine that makes good espresso, though the steamer is now broken.

A range of coffees… sometimes from the supermarket, but I also love going into the Algerian Coffee Store in Soho:

Or ordering from Square Mile coffee - their subscription was the best 6 months of coffee drinking I’ve done.

Technivorm Moccamaster, burr grinder, not really paying much attention to water, just tapwater.

Detour coffee is consistently great, careful roasts: https://detourcoffee.com/

I was the coffee director for a local roaster for a while, and a barista for a little longer than that; no longer am I in service, but I still brew basically the same as I did when I was!

Currently rocking a Handground grinder for everyday, though I’m thinking about going electric for my burr grinding purposes.

Typically a Chemex in the morning, sometimes a beehouse, but if I’m in a shop I’ll go espresso. I have an Aeropress at work that I don’t use very often.

And I have the Bonavita electric kettle, but the temperature-settable version that I run at 205—after wetting the filter it’s usually at a savvy 203 for perfect bloom temp.

Philadelphia has amazing roasters, I highly recommended people pick up some of what’s going on in this area: Elixr, Rival Brothers, Ultimo, Square One, Reanimator, Pilgrim.

I used to teach classes in brewing and preparation, so if anyone has questions I can do my best!

This tread is gaining traction quickly!

I make my coffee with a small espresso machine and a burr grinder (Saeco Aroma & Zassenhaus Quito). The beans are what I find at local coffee shops and roasters in Montreal. It took me a while to develop the intuition for the right amount of coffee to use and infusion time, but it has really been worth it. Good coffee everyday without a coffee shop price tag!

I started getting whole bean $5/lb coffee from Whole Foods that is OK - not bad, not amazing, just OK. Due to a reduction in my work hours and income (voluntary BTW) buying single origin coffee at $16-18 per 12 oz. bag is less viable now. I use a Hario single-cup drip for my at home coffee and it feels kind of funny making cheap, non-artisinal beans through it, but it works for me.

Really nice to finally have a coffee talk :slight_smile:

My brother introduced me to specialty coffee a couple of years ago. Since then I have to say that i find it very hard to try regular coffee again. By regular I mean average cafeterias here in Spain, where it is a tradition to roast beans with sugar (Torrefacto). People are used to this sort of coffee… it’s baaaad. We’ve slowly convinced our parents and little siblings to appreciate specialty coffee a bit more. Yay for that!

We started with filter coffee made on Chemex and on different V60’s (plastic, ceramic…). Then we tried the AeroPress method for a while. We also used for espresso the classic Bialetti @AlessandroBonino mentions (which is great).

We thought we needed a bit more control over the process and we decided to buy our first (not superfancy but quite ok i’d say) coffee grinder; a baratza encore Very happy with it, although sometimes i find it a bit too coarse for espresso.

A couple of months ago, after saving some money we decided to purchase a little Italian Espresso machine (Lelit pl41). My lack of experience makes the espresso cup a bit inconsistent i believe; sometimes great, sometimes meh… I guess it’s difficult to get the grind right! A long way to go I guess, but damn is it exciting :slight_smile:

Right now we are drinking this Kenya espresso roasted by friends from our hometown. These guys have taught us a lot about the roasting process, nice folks.

Hoping to read many coffee recommendations of you lines people!

Mostly Chemex in our house, though I sometimes get fed up with the irregularities (or rather my own inadequacy with that brewing method) and switch over to a trusty V60.

I got a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back, though it’s loud enough to wake our guests whenever they visit!

In Boston/Camberville, we’ve got a ton of good rosters as well, though I’ve been getting mostly Gracenote for the last year. Pricy, but buying a bag gets me a free cup at my neighborhood coffee shop.

I didn’t really start drinking coffee in earnest until I went to college, where buying nice beans from the roasters down the street was the little luxury I allowed myself. I used to use an Aeropress and a little Hario hand grinder. I still use the grinder and have the Aeropress somewhere, but lately it’s mostly french press or a little Bodum pour-over.

I usually buy the beans at the grocery store now, but might try to find a roaster sometime.

For the summer my work schedule suddenly became really regimented and, like, early (I’m a grad student), and I had to have the sad realization that drinking my coffee at home would just make me late. There really is something lovely about drinking a good coffee meditatively in the mornings!

The daily routine involves a Rancilio Silvia, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, and a fresh grind of whatever my monthly subscription to whatever Badger & Dodo choose to send me is. I’d like to explore the pour-over options a bit more, but recognise that I’d seldom have the time to do that.

I do actually use an aeropress, but usually only on weekends - with a drip pot I can get coffee started before I take a shower and head to work with a full travel mug. I have to be in before 8 so I prefer to keep my weekday routine minimal.

Occasionally I’ll get beans from some of the local roasters in my town as a treat, but it’s a luxury I can’t afford for regular drinking.

Tap water around here is surprisingly good so I’ve never seen much of an advantage from filtering.

if i didn’t have or make the time to meditatively enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning regularly (read: at least 3 or 4 times a week) with a full on coffee flight at a weekly minimum, i would be a less happy human.

i found a nice aeropress+gelato ( i call it “bastard affogato”) recipe that has yet to do any harm.

i had been occasionally trying to make “espresso” with aeropress which is patently impossible but can kinda come close-ish. i think the method actually excels at doing its own thing, just shouldn’t really be mentioned in the same sentence as espresso d/t procedural differences.

yea i just use mine to make pseudo-americanos anyway. they’re great tho.

I make a batch of cold brew every 5 or so days (currently with whatever organic beans I can find at the grocery). I’ll have a glass with a couple ice cubes and a splash of whole milk in the morning and afternoon. Easy peasy.

For a while I roasted beans with a popcorn popper, and I used to do French Press and pourovers more. Hot coffee definitely gives me heartburn, while cold brew typically doesn’t (less acid).

I’ll rep the Hario burr grinder as well, though that Handground that @geh2oman posted looks like a nice step up… :thinking:

I grind every couple of days from local roasters, which DC has in ever-increasing quality. Lost Sock Roasters and Qualia Coffee are my favourites, and coincidentally both are within a few minutes of my house. Zeke’s and Compass also produce good roasts.

Bodum French press for daily consumption, Bialetti on the weekends when I have a bit more time to sit and enjoy.