Coffee thought talk process

unless bent tree has recently upped their game, i couldnt get into them. its been a year or two now since giving them a chance but i found after fairly good searching that no amazing coffee was happening native to akron/clev. that might sound harsh, it was just what we found. a shop opened locally that roasts, they were nice but not stellar coffee. rising star, bent tree, phoenix, fluffy duck, pour, all leave a lot to be desired in terms of beans. pour gets in some super interesting stuff but were the biggest snobs around and they weren’t roasting, just importing/tasting. fluffy duck has madcap but they won’t do pourovers anymore and an espresso was horrible and some old batch brew was all they would make and it was garbage and they were rude and dirty. that was a huge disappointment as we had been there prior and had amazing pours and pastry. it went downhill i guess. rising star had an interesting nitro cold thing going on but when we got beans they were not very good and difficult local order system. tried phoenix multiple times and always subpar. compared bent tree 1/1 with same method to madcap beans and it was just no contest. i’m not saying everyone needs to do madcap. just that years of trying local stuff and nobody local is pleasing me/us with their roasting ability. i really do not mean to be a snob and i am not suggesting all these places are bad, they just don’t compare taste to taste with much of what i find from some heavier hitting roasters i’d gladly pay more to get mailed in. and just for scope, you can buy bent tree bags at supermarkets (dates often pretty old). they are roasting on scales larger than what i think can be small-batch. it says they do small batch on their site but it seems odd that they could have that much roasted. honestly i’d have to try them again in order to say if it was doing it for me/us.

The only one from Bent Tree that I have had super recently is PB&J which hasn’t noticeably changed in like 4 years (which I am fine with).

I also tend to get it ground since I don’t have a good grinder at home and for me burr ground last week > blade ground this morning. Had a Hario hand grinder and considered never drinking coffee again every time I had to use it. This may disqualify my opinions for some in this thread. I am certainly not as discerning as many here, so ymmv if anyone listens to me at all, ha. I mainly just think that the coffee world could stand to be less uptight and think that possibly sacrilegious blends that taste slightly like a sandwich are fun.

Of the Cleveland places I tend to like Rising Star the most. Agreed that Pour’s vibe is not my thing, other ones are so-so.

nobodies opinions should ever be disqualified. i really really don’t mean to invalidate your experience! i would love to drink coffee with you. i would love to pour you a chemex i do daily here each morning. i also don’t want to be or feel too uptight about it all, just that i really know what i like these days after years of deep and continued searching, lots of travel, tons of money and daily seeking. and just to be clear on blends, i think they are great! half of what i have right now is seasonal blends. they aren’t usually my fave but i love even mixing my own different beans together. to illustrate:

Thanks in large part to this topic and a couple of decent cups made at my favourite venue in Kobe, this here AeroPress is now a part of my coffee arsenal.

My first real (well paying) job as a kid was wholesale coffee beans in PDX. We sold some great beans and lots of them. Over the years I worked for 5 different coffee companies in Oregon and WA from 1986-96. I’ve tried quite a few methods of brewing, extracting etc over the years, but today I prefer a glass beaker and stainless steel type French Press. Water not quite to a boil (Oregon has some very sweet tap waters), coarse grind (to almost a ridiculous looking non-uniform chunk), 1 stir through directly after adding water, 4 minutes and then plunge kind of operation. The amount of grind I use depends on how peppy I want to feel. I came across this roaster in New Port Oregon at a place called “The Coffee House Cafe” down on the old bay water front in 2005 or so. A couple had moved to New Port from Emeryville CA to open the place and ended by selling it to their (only?) employee at the time. As far as I know its still open. Great place to get sea food and some solid joe. I was there a year ago and they still sold and served these beans:

I’ve tried a few of their offerings, but the House blend really stands out. They ship too. I really like Turkish style coffee also. Its nice with a little Peach Kefir and a pinch of sugar. I tried that first in some place in SF when I was a small kid. SF in the 70’s was pretty special.

Anyone here from Copenhagen? I’m going to CPH over NYE and search for good coffee shops

Coffee Collective is definitely the best in CPH that I’ve had. Original Coffee would be second on my list.

can anyone here discuss 3rd wave type coffee thought from japanese perspective? i literally have no idea if next level roasting and all sort of other attempts at improvement of brewing process are happening there ( i totally assume so) but i know all my hario stuff is made in japan. my wife asked me what kind of coffee you can get there and i just had never thought about it having never been there. we’ve been talking about kinda planning some international travel, or maybe “hoping to” is more of the right description.

Reporting in with HUGE SUCCESS with the 6-cup moka pot that Santa brought me. Some brewing notes and care notes for other beginners:

1. I’m boiling the water first, taking it just to the moment the kettle starts to whistle, then filling the base of the moka to within a few mm of the valve.
  2. I’m spooning the coffee grounds (commercial tin of Lavazza) in gently then evening them with an equally gentle push of the index finger, making sure there are no grounds on the rim or outside of the filter basket.
  3. When the moka starts to sputter and the foam turns honey-colored, I take it off and run cold water over the base.
  4. I’ve been careful to clean and dry the whole thing soon after use, making a point to not wipe off accumulated oils from the pot.

The coffee is silken, intense but not bitter like previous moka efforts. I could not be happier with it. It makes enough coffee for two good-sized (read: not thimble-sized) espresso cups.

Check out Weekenders coffee roasters. My friend trained there and his coffee is amazing. From what I know Weekenders are great at very delicate complex coffees. I am told that a lot of Japanese roasters roast quite dark but Weekenders are more the lighter style. There are lots of great roasters and shops from what my friend says. I have had some of their coffees and they are some of the best I have had balanced and always intriguing.

we are hoping in new year to open up our communal ordering process to include 6 roasters rather then the 1 or 2 or 3 we have largely relied on.

Heart
Madcap
Sweet bloom
Dogwood
Ceremony
Ruby

interesting exploration for new year.

Not sure if you have this already, but it’s worth looking at Fellow’s Prismo. It creates pretty good faux-spresso for $20. Super worth the money.

I’m so happy to see coffee on here! I feel like the two worlds of coffee and synths have a lot of crossover in terms of attention to detail (not to mention cost and generally esoteric nature).

My weekday go to is a v60 pour over with some Counter Culture (love the discount from living near Durham). I tend to brew 1:14 on the v60. On weekends, I tend to opt for a Chemex on 1:16 or 1:15. Sometimes an aeropress or french press. I just love to have the options.

I love to keep brew times and water temp consistent. I enjoy the challenge of just changing grind sizes.

As for coffee…
Three Ships Coffee - Gorgeous light roasts from Virginia Beach, VA. Sometimes a little underdeveloped, but really lovely coffee from a relatively unheard of roaster.
Counter Culture - I have to rep Durham. Plus, I can typically get a bag for $14. What’s not to love?
Slate - Some of the best coffee that I’ve ever had. I was enthralled when I visited!

I’ll be in London next month so if anyone has any recommendations (beyond Square Mile haha) I’d love to hear! I’ll be working in Camden and living in Hammersmith.

hmmm. interesting. what have you found using it? how does it differ in conjunction? does it change how you brew (recipe)? and what is your fave aeropress recipe?

and i have to admit, or reiterate , repeatedly confess, mention, divulge that… i haven’t timed my brews since ditching french press years ago. i go completely by grind size and let nature take its course. i may try some experiments in 2019. maybe just starting with timing my usual recipes and see.

ok so timing began this morning. but my first stupid question having long forgot any aspect of timing/stopwatch in conjunction with pouring. does bloom count as seconds toward total pour time?

i do a longer bloom for chemex to repeatedly good results but i think that can make the rest of the pour appear longer. what say you expert timers?

this is coffee is reliably amazing on every cup we brewed. https://madcapcoffee.com/shop/coffee/tanondogo/

I do 30 second bloom and 2:30 min extraction time and adjust my grind accordingly for V60 15g/250g.

Favorite easily available roasters in NYC:

• Stumptown Coffee
  • Gimme Coffee
  • Blue Bottle Coffee

Favorite convienient coffee shops for me in NYC:

• Oslo
  • Birch
  • Joe

Daily routine:

• Chemex kettle, Chemex carafe, Chemex paper filter, clear glass mug

I typically do Chemex pour over. I’ve got a baratza encore grinder and a scale and all that. I use our filtered Brita water.
My favorite beans right now are from a place near us in Los Angeles called Maru. The only rinse half and it gives it this super pungent floral thing. So good