Coffee thought talk process

Aeropress and a Hario hand grinder here as well, or a stainless steel Bialetti when I’m feeling a little lazy as that combo requires quite a bit of elbow grease. I plan on upgrading to a proper machine but having trouble justifying the expense…

In terms of beans, I’m really liking these guys https://cafebarista.ca/en/

It’s pretty solid! Pretty nice adjustment feature, for handpours it has a pretty narrow range but does a good job as far as grind size consistency. The grind shaft is stabilized at two points so the burrs are much more in line and don’t have the wobble issue that the Hario and other smaller handgrinders do.

My coffee journey started with (don’t judge!) A Tassimo that was a present. I couldn’t reconcile with the waste so ended up buying an espresso machine with gift vouchers my class bought me.

Started buying ground coffee from Gordon Street coffee here in Glasgow. Then visited IKEA and bought their grinder. Now trying various local roasters.

Love the ritual of grinding my own beans then making my “Americano” just right.

for sharing in the morning, a french press
for just me / single cup, an upside down aeropress or moka pot

I’ve been using a normal spin grinder, but need to upgrade to a burr. Tap water (Minneapolis has really really good tap water – :heart: Mississippi River)

I typically buy beans in bulk at the local co-op from Kickapoo, Peace Coffee, Equal Exchange or Just. If I’m in Colorado I try to get a bag from Harbinger.

we got absolutely SPOILED in Brooklyn living around the corner from a Café Grumpy -> https://cafegrumpy.com/

this got us into pourovers and a Chemex. If I wanted to be spendy about my coffee I’d be having their beans shipped across the continent.

I have worked as a barista part time on weekends for the past 7 years and I have to say it’s been one of, if not the most, grounding activities in my day-to-day routine. I’ve worked at a few different places from second wave shops to third wave/approaching fourth wave shops. The two best places I’ve worked are lab cafe, a minimalist coffee show that carries some great roasters from all over the country (Madcap, Good Folks Coffee, and Parlor Coffee all come to mind) and a spot that was called the espresso bar, but is now called literati coffee. I still hold down the fort at lab on weekends and really enjoy life behind the bar.

At home, I use a burr grinder and brew using a V60 for everything. It’s quick and easy and normally I only need one cup to get me going in the morning. Midday, I’ll grab a shot from the local cafe or drink a cold brew I make at home (I use Blue Bottle’s method/ratios)

Anywho, glad this thread is going. Would love to hear some recommendations of local roasters and shops that are doing great things. Here’s mine for Ann Arbor and Detroit.

Detroit:

• Astro Coffee
  • Anthology Coffee Roasters

Ann Arbor:

• Hyperion Coffee Roasters
  • Stovetop Coffee Roasters
  • Comet Coffee
  • Lab Cafe
  • Literati Coffee Roasters

And here’s a quick list of my favorite coffees:

• Gimme!'s Leftist Espresso blend is the best shot I’ve ever had. If you are looking for the perfect shot, that’s it.
  • Madcap’s Luis Reinoso: I’ve bought a bag every season for a few years and it’s always good. Extremely consistent.
  • Hyperion’s Burundi Natural Processed: It’s SO funky. Great naturally processed coffee that is affordable.

speaking of natural process im ordering party from madcap atm. appears to be a new natural process line they are focusing on. i’m excited to check it out as almost all of the coffees we get are washed.

I moved to Portland 11 years ago and found myself living four blocks from Stumptown Annex, probably the best place on the west coast to buy coffee beans at that point. I got to drink some Kenyan microlot coffees that remain in the top 20 things I’ve ever had in my mouth. But after a few years, I was forced to admit that my palate wasn’t really refined enough to appreciate everything that was going on. I was on vacation at one point with family, asked about the delicious coffee one morning, and found out it was… Folgers.

I realized at that moment that 90% of what people around me in Portland were doing with their coffee was in pursuit of a final 10% of flavor, and 90% of flavor was built on two things:

• medium roast, full-caf arabica beans,
  • brewed strong enough but not too strong.

Now I buy pre-ground coffee, use a plastic pour-over thingy and paper filters, and just try not to get my brew ratios wildly wrong. I do buy single-source decaf whenever I see it, because I want to support work towards higher-quality decaf, but that’s the nerdiest thing I still do besides buy from roasters who aren’t Starbucks.

(But you know what else I’ve learned? As long as you get the blonde roast, the Via packets aren’t bad.)

my goal is to grind beans no more than 15 seconds prior to brew

I think one of the things that gets overlooked by most coffee consumers (or just consumption in general) is how we get to a quality cup of coffee and what that means for the whole chain along the way. Specialty coffee has become a staple in people’s lives today because small coffee farmers had to find ways to distinguish themselves and make a living—higher quality processes and coffees mean they can be paid living wages for their work and not have to sell their farms or be engulfed by a conglomerate.

So like, yeah, most people are going into it thinking they’re paying more for coffee that tastes better even if they can’t appreciate some of the distinctions (palate training takes a lot of practice and work) but what they’re really paying for is a higher quality of life for the producers. And hopefully the baristas/roasters and other people along the way.

I have that bag on my counter right now… I’ll bust it open tomorrow and let you know what my tastebuds have to say about it.

Beans ground just before use, gold pour over filter, water just short of boiling.

Usually black, but sometimes with a pinch of cardamom or a touch of blackstrap molasses.

I love a good cup of coffee. The most over the top cup, but still aweseom, was in Melbourne at Senrory Lab in Melbourne. Expensive, theatrical, but really delicious.

At home I do mostly Hario pour over, Bonavita machine “automated pour over”, and sometimes Bodum french press. For beans we tend to get from local roasters (Toronto), my favourites being Cut Coffee and Hale.

I’m considering upgrading my grinder, and eventually I’d love a good espresso machine, but it’s expensive and takes up more space than I have right now.

The Bonavita machines are excellent, if anyone is looking for something that makes pour over a little easier. In my experience so far I can’t tell much difference between doing the Hario manually and the Bonavita unless I want to make a small amount, then the Hario is better. For over 500ml the Bonavita is really good. It’s one of the few machines on the market that gets the water to a proper temperature, and it has a rain-shower like head so that the water is dripped all over the coffee instead of just in the centre like most machines.

I have no idea about coffee beyond if I like it. How does roasting affect taste?

we have a bonavita machine as well and all strongly prefer self pours via chemex first then kalita wave then v60 (all noticeably better than bonavita machine) over it. so the bonavita machine while supposedly very good at temp consitency (also full of plastic) is in the closet now. i bought it for my wife hoping to upgrade her experience a while back while i was kinda studying my v60 pours but then the chemex came along as a present and it shines as best tasting but also easiest/repeatable method, so much so that everyone in the compound goes for it. so no electric brews anymore just a whole lotta chemex. good enough for georgia o’keefe!

I started roasting coffee about 5 years ago, mainly because I was making minimum wage as a student aid in Indiana and it was the only way I could afford to drink it daily and have it taste half-way decent :smiley:

I ended up really enjoying the process so I’ve stuck with it over the years. Still using a popcorn popper, roasting in small batches every 2 or 3 days. The freshness of the roast is the most important thing to me as far as flavor goes, so I don’t worry too much about how I’m grinding or brewing it. Typically use a french press unless I’m making a single cup and then I like to use an Aeropress–it makes a really clean tasting cup and it’s super easy to work with and clean up.

My favorite coffees tend to be from Ethiopia and Rwanda, and I’ve especially liked all the dry processed coffees I’ve gotten from there. Very earthy, but still bright and fruity.

I drink my coffee hot and black, like my heart, and in great volumes, so I do not have the time for slow pours or hand grinds, arrrrgh. The Cuisinart DBM-8 burr grinder throws off a mighty cloud of medium-fine-ground coffee (generally sourced from Costco for price-performance Reasons) and those are deposited into the waiting maw of an OXO 9-Cup drip coffee maker filed with as much filtered water as I can safely cram into its soulless confines.

Arrrrgh, coffee!

That said I do enjoy good coffee, preferably Ethiopian coffee or Turkish coffee or anything served at a standing bar in Paris or Milan or a paper cup of Ahab’s Blend from Pie in the Sky in Woods Hole.

(arrrrrgh)

and it would appear cornelius digs a chemex as well

I was just getting into cold brew, – with cacao as well as coffee – when I found caffeine was often leading to almost a panic attack state. It’s calmed down a bit from then, but my idea of “maybe a little caffeine won’t hurt” these days is iced tea or diet soda or a couple of migraine pills :frowning:

I would say though, I was at the “I have several VST synths” level of coffee while many of you are more at the “I built my own modular” level :grinning:

i love cold brew and digging into french press was the first time i ever began years back to pay deeper attention to beans and flavors. but the cold brew and french press processes both impart such a particular process oriented flavor that i try to avoid them now (if i’m looking to explore beans (which i am day to day)). but they can taste freaking amazing. also i feel like the oils without being filtered could be potentially bad for folks with hyperlipidemia?