Coffee thought talk process

My current source of beans is The Conservatory for Coffee, Tea & Cocoa in Culver City. They roast onsite, and they’re upwind of my office, and it’s wonderful. They have a wide variety of single-origin coffees, and the owner has a lot of experience roasting. I used to sugar and cream my coffee into submission, and with their coffees I discovered that it can be good black, too. Also, a lot of the baristas know me and my wife by now, so it’s got a very “Cheers” feel. It turns out it is nice to go where everybody knows your name.

At home, when making coffee for my wife and I, it’s a burr grinder and a 12-cup drip machine. We have to get the kids fed and off to school, and then to work, and I can’t really take the time to do it correctly. When I’m making it for myself, I use a small french press.

Another small PSA :slight_smile:

Water is a really tricky one! Hard water, not so good, but also overly soft water (aka water that has too little mineral content) is also not very good for brewing with—so stay away from distilled or pure water! Bottled mineral water is usually okay, and most common filtration systems aren’t removing that much so are probably fine to brew with.

The analogy I like to use is that of a buffet. Think of the ground coffee and everything that makes up the flavor as the food on a buffet table, and the water you’re brewing with is a guest to the party. If that guest just ate and is full of food already (hard water—water with a lot of mineral content), then they’ll just peck at what’s there and you won’t get a very good brew. On the other hand, a guest that hasn’t eaten all day (soft water—too little mineral content) is going to ravage that buffet and gorge themselves to the point of being sick. What works best is a happy medium.

Where I was working we had a reverse osmosis system set up with some re-mineralization at the end of it. So we’d take city water, strip it clean, and then balance it back up with minerals we found best sat alongside the coffee. Which of course we also had to balance between what was best for drip, espresso, and cold brew. Not the most practical thing to do at home! I brew with the filtered water out of my fridge, and that does the trick pretty well. I was using a Soma filtered pitcher, but that didn’t really remove much out of the tap that wasn’t already being taken care of by Philadelphia’s water works.

Chemex.

Medium-coarse grind.

22g beans

I wet (about 50 - 60g water) and let bloom for 40s

400g additional water and drink.

thank you for your recipe!!

what i’m hoping to find is our recipes and simple ideas to try

French Press over here with a subscription to Mistobox. We have a Breville grinder that accurately grinds our morning dosage and a Breville kettle that brings it to our preferred temp (200 F).

The funniest thing about Mistobox is that some of our favorite coffees ended up being from here in Houston. Amaya and Greenway both produce excellent coffees.

Pretty much any Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is my jam.

I’d be pickier, but grad school did a number on me. My engineer roommate was much funnier. He ran control trials until he found an optimal dose, steep time, and temperature. And yes, he made a damn good cup of coffee.

EDIT: Other roasters I love:

• Ruby
  • Halfwit
  • Tandem
  • Passion House
  • Spyhouse
  • Noble
  • Onyx
  • Coava

As an italian I have to agree, there is NO other way to go for it. sorry if this might sound a bit careless of other thoughts, but lads trust me, get a moka… :slight_smile:

What about spices in coffee? I sometimes do cardamom, and have experimented with freshly ground black pepper. Is there anything else worth trying?

Chicory for new orleans style cold brew

when i was a kid i used to put cinnamon in.

Not to derail, but for black tea, my (indian) mother always used fennel and sometimes caradmom pods. I think caradmom is a beautiful spice and encourage it’s use in beverages. I’ll have to try it in coffee soon, I’ll probably give fennel a chance as well.

Her prep was black tea, milk until light brown, white sugar, fennel and caradmom pods, it’s very simple, and super good, and kinda bad for you. We always called tea, chai, cause Indian, as shown in this graphic explaining what you call tea/chai based on the way it was imported to your country.

I almost exclusively drank Cafe du Monde coffee (with chicory) for years. The grocery store by my apt had it for $2/a tin.

When i worked at an infoshop, it was mostly Zapatista coffee. Other favored coffees…bustelo, and chock full o’nuts.

@dude my grandmother claimed a pinch of cinnamon in with the grinds cut the acidity. She put some in every pot. And she sure could brew a great pot.

stovetop espresso
burr grinder :slightly_smiling_face:

aj’s an amazing coffee roaster(and guitar hero)
https://www.conservatorycoffeeandtea.com

and/or oc coffee
http://www.portolacoffeelab.com

Can anyone recommend a good instant coffee- or should I just get my coat.

I live near Cambridge UK and we are blessed with some great coffee places Bould Brothers and best of all Rubicea (no details online, no photos, no computers) just great coffee and conversation. I love V60 15g-250g water (soft ish) with @3mins extraction time as a starter. Ethiopian Natural (light roast) Monmouth, Workshop and Square Mile is my fave. If you are ever in Oslo try Supreme Roastworks amazing filter. Also in Bath (UK) Collona and Small are very good too.

“It’s coffee talk, its no big whoop” (SNL)

We went on an instant coffee kick while planning for a backpacking trip, and found The Wirecutter’s article on it is rather helpful. We also came across Sudden Coffee, but couldn’t get it since we’re abroad.

From that Wirecutter article, I’ve been meaning to try the Mount Hagen coffee, since it’s pretty easy to get here (Denn’s and Alnatura should have it), but I’d previously bought a GEPA (organic/fair trade) instant coffee, and resolved that I’d finish it before buying another… and I still haven’t finished it yet

Add some ginger for Indonesian style coffee, its awesome!!

Fun topic! Picked up several great tips so far.

For me, I hand grind before every cup. Takes just enough time to let the pot cool down a bit. Pourover all the way. Try to do local roasts often. Also pick up organics and fair trades from Trader Joes.

Peace.

Bialetti Moka here too. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Has anyone been able to work out the relationship between atmospheric pressure and how that affects the coffee taste? I swear with this pot there is such a relationship.

Do you do the cold water trick? Keep a bowl of cold water by the hob while making the coffee. Once the top part of the pot is full and just before the last very hot coffee start coming out and burning the already made rest, take the pot off the heat and dip it in the bowl of cold water. (source: was taught this by an Australian coffee pro, it works for me!)

coffee, coffee, the wonderful fruit

i work at https://wanderinggoat.com/
we buy+roast all of our own beans, and our roaster is absolutely fabulous and absolutely careful. we have a synesso hydra espresso machine and its one of my best frenz.

what’s yalls favorite countries-o-origin?

I find my tastes revolve around central/latin american coffees. my current and longstanding favorite is our cafe feminino peru. it’s one of the few coffees ive had that i can taste “the green” in, but not in a grassy sense. more round and silky, almost with a green pepper aroma. sipping as we speak!
we also just got a mexican coffee to replace our colombia for the year, it was really good last year and very peanut buttery, but i havent spent much time with this year’s.

my personal routine is usually a french press in the a.m. at home. i like the french press because there isn’t a reliance on paper filters or anything else that needs purchase. it also allows for downtime during the process, so i can do other morning things. pour overs are nice but i dont have the patience to do that at home when im about to go and do it at work for 6+ hours!

the grinder i use is a baratza encore, and i absolutely love it. baratza also makes videos on how to fix/replace almost anything on their grinders, which is incredible for longevity/fighting obsolescence.

The truly obsessive use distilled water and add mineral themselves…