Coffee thought talk process

I’m cool with lactose, but some cafes around me have started offering oat milk for espresso drinks, and I love it.

it has a similar thickness and weight to milk, unlike soy milk or other substitutes I’ve tried, and I like the flavor in a cortado or something without a ton of foam. it might be too much in a latte, but I’ve never tried it.

+1 on oat milk. We use that for our espresso drinks at Lab and it foams nicely. Only thing is you can’t steam it as hot (even with Barista series) because it starts to taste burnt. I’m #TeamLowTemp anyway, do it’s fine with me!

yup. put the beans in. splash of water to get it extracting. then just a few runs through; there you go, great coffee. Love it.

you guys are seriously getting me interested in chemex. was scouting local sources for one of those things, and found one for not that much money. might actually go out and buy one on the weekend to get into “proper” coffee making after years of littering the world with pads and capsules. if it’s really as easy and foolproof as it sounds, this might be the answer to my coffee addiction.

and is there a good/cheap frothing tool that works well with oat milk?

so i tried madcap party for the first time today. i couldn’t believe how berry the unground beans smelled. but it was surprisingly mellow via chemex. it wowed my wife but i was more pleased/intrigued than wowed. i plan on trying a v60 tomorrow to see if can tease out some more spunk from it. prior to this year, i had mostly paid attention to region more than process (because most things were washed and/or i just wasn’t paying attention). so i’m very interested to experiment with this one to kind of understand a bit more of the process profile.

Technivorm Moccamaster

http://www.technivorm.com/

Just Coffee Cooperative

https://shop.justcoffee.coop

i’m sorry for being dull but are you saying you use a moccamaster and get beans from the coop you linked?

care to discuss about your experience with either?

those colors are beautiful on moccamaster site. are those better than the bonavita?

I have the Bonavita. When I was researching good quality machines those were the two top options, and the people I spoke with said that they work almost identically… so I got the less expensive one.

we’re thinking about a moka pot and foamer adventure atm (i’ve never tried either). just fo fun!

we have the bonavita too and i hate it. i similarly found the good reviews in my research to try to max experience for wife, but pouring by hand has so unquestionably surpassed anything possibly from electric machines with plastic components.

Interesting. In my experience with it so far it’s not as good as hand pour, but not that different for a regular morning cup, and the “turn it on and walk away” convenience is nice at 6am with a dozen other things that need to get done.

i’m real finicky with plastic touching hot things. the feel/taste that occurs is something i’m over sensitive about particularly (of course) with coffee. i’m not suggesting any inferior nature of devices. i just know i hate my bonavita and it is at the bottom of a closet.

we did pick up a moka pot today i am about to brew a couple just to break it in so i can comfortably use it.

moka pot tips are more than welcome. obviously conflicting directions yield confusion of which there are many and much.

what was interesting to me was that at target they had a bunch of knock off pour over methods. one was even a fairly close and obvious chemex copy. and then a couple other pour over knock off devices. i don’t know why i found it odd. i got my electric burr grinder at bed bath and beyond or kohls or something and definitely got my chemex and aeropress from the same bed bath and beyond. so it shouldn’t be surprising that what i think of as semi non-standard paraphernalia is being poorly cloned and sold at rock bottom prices in big box stores. just found it amusing.

ok, here goes inaugural moka P

how many brews before good drinking? seems metallic taste is going to be hard to avoid? i’m just trying to get it ready before i actually want to use it.

ah shoot, i meant to include… we found a lil battery frother but it was doa. so we will return that and it occurs i probably should opt for the manual one?

For the moka pot try the cold water technique @eesn mentioned earlier in the thread. Also starting with hot water might reduce the metallic taste. Stumptown has a handy guide here

Has anyone here tried cloth filters? I’ve been thinking about trying the Hario Woodneck.

AFAIK there is a 2nd edition coming out. I can ask next time I’m in Colonna & Smalls if you want? (That’s the coffee shop that one of the authors owns.)

If you can get a hold of Lactofree milk (or similar) where you live, it foams exactly the same as normal milk. My wife and daughter say that they can taste the difference when drunk ‘neat’, but not otherwise. I’ve heard others say that they can’t taste any difference.

We’re really lucky with coffee in Bath. My wife & kids are literally on their way to the farmers market as I type this to buy some coffee from Round Hill Roastery. I think they use the market as a way to manage their inventory levels, so we get coffee at a discount at the expense of not always having your first choice of bean.

I can also get beans from Colonna & Smalls, and I think they have a similar system of using their retail premises to sell excess coffee from their subscription service for a few pounds off (although I always end up buying a coffee while I’m there…).

On the downside the water is really hard. I’ve had to completely strip down my Gaggia Classic 3 times now to fix blockages. I’ve now switched to using bottled water (grrr) with a low calcium content. One of my tasks in the coming weeks is to ask around at the (lovely) independent coffee shops we have in Bath and see how they deal with the issue.

I’ve tried starting with hot water and saw no difference. In fact, since I keep my ground coffee in the fridge, I find that starting with cold water and letting the pot just sit there for 10-15 minutes, water and coffee but no heat, makes for a more rounded taste after brewing it on the heat.

where does everybody keep their coffee?

i love the process of seeing how the beans chill/change over a couple weeks. no bags last more than a couple weeks so we always leave all coffee on countertop.

i think there are reasonings to do various methods of keep. light exposure heat variation time til used humidity aliens

drank first moka pot but added coconut gelato. not unrelated to french press as a process in terms of big oils/particles not being filtered out. i wonder if that has negative effects on cholesterol over time.

madcap party was i think better with v60 preparation than chemex

my frothy foaming adventure was stopped short late last night d/t the foamer not powering up. i guess this is a prime example of our cultural decline. why on earth would i need more cheap plastic crap and yet i sought it out directly. and not 2 days ago my father and i went and saw the meg (he raised me on the worst movies and we still have so much fun seeing anything even remotely scifi oriented).

random: the other day at work i was drinking my coffee in the morning and found a huge black fly in it. “hmmm, that felt weird, what on earth could that odd texture be in the coffee???” and from that point forward (i didn’t reflect back on it all til later) the whole day felt cursed. it was the worst day i can remember (nurses can be superstitious as such horrifying stuff can happen in even the most regular of days). anyway, it amuses me now. watch out for cursed coffee and what it can bring to you in a day. hahahahahahahahahahahaha :face_vomiting:

hopefully back out to pick up some soy milk i guess or maybe lactose-free. oat milk is hard to find and apparently one aspect to all of the frothing factors is additives and helping or hurting the process of non-milk milks.

what is life if not adventure?

“pro” tip, you can froth hot milk in a small french press by moving the plunger up&down. A small amount of milk e.g. 70-100ml works well. To stretch it well, be careful not to lift the plunger above the level of the milk, i.e. keep breaking up the air bubbles inside. It’s harder with e.g. almond milk. Haven’t tried with soy. I’m forever grateful to the Turkish person who taught me this lifehack.

Apologies in advance for my cryptic previous post, delayed response, and lengthy reply. Coffee is something I am very passionate about and probably my last remaining vice next to music and studio gear.

The Just Coffee Co-op “Revolution Roast” is my daily brew, strong and smooth with chocolate notes. Just Coffee Co-op is from Madison WI and deliver orders locally by bicycle. All their products are free trade and on each bag they breakdown the cost for complete transparency. The Technivorm Moccamaster is my coffee maker and I love it. They are hand assembled in Holland and the heating element is glass. The water delivery system is a drip but uses are “rain shower” to give a more balanced brew. The carafe fills for the bottom up which insures each cup will taste the same, (no watery first cup or harsh last). I use a medium coarse grind with cold filtered water and allow the basket to fill 2/3 full at the onset of brewing. This insures all grounds have been fully saturated before reaching the carafe. I use white Melitta coffee filters which are bleached with peroxide to remove any flavor that could interfere with the natural taste of coffee, (unbleached brown filters can often times leave a cardboard finish which can be unpleasant). I normally drink my coffee black which means almost no calories and will usually add 1tbs of MCT oil for extended energy and increased brain function.

Enjoy!