Coffee thought talk process

nice! i just tried with almond milk we have on hand. it definitely worked. but as i could have surmised, almond milk tastes funny to me (i can with comfort and success use it on cereal and occasionally cooking/baking). so i think my non-milk milk best options will be the soy i am familiar with or potentially this new-fangled oat milk.

stovetop affogato :slightly_smiling_face:

I find coconut milk works best for a non-dairy sub.

did soy milk this am. and tried another moka pot in flight. still having issues with it but it did produce technically drinkable results. the french press as frother worked wonders.

“technically drinkable” is damning with faint praise if I’ve ever heard of it :joy:

Thanks to this thread there’s now an aeropress in my home along with an assortment of beans from the local roaster! Enjoying the process and the coffee!

i found the oat milk but haven’t tried it yet. what i do know is that chemex is too light of a feel to support any additive. but aeropress and moka pot will do just fine. this is obvious but i wanted to just do my own blindish starting from scratch taste/feel research

I’ve had oat milk in caps and other steamed milk situations, but not with drip before. I quite like it; the foam holds up and doesn’t get plastic-y like some almond/soy does. Then again, the main company people use (Oatly) does make barista-specific milk with heavier fat/protein content (then again, so do Pacific) for those very reasons.

For any handpours, if I ever think of adding milk/creamer, I would always recommend steamed milk, it’s just going to do so much better keeping the flavors intact. I have a lot of thoughts about milk really and I always get a little side-eyed at other baristas or “coffee snobs” that would say adding milk makes coffee worse. The two are in many ways a phenomenal match.

Aeropress are great but I end up wearing the rubber out in no time and the liquid bubbles up the side. I’m going old school and pulling the stove top out, there’s always something satisfying when it all works out.

hmmm, i wonder how/why the rubber wears. is there some aspect of storing/drying that can keep it intact?

I always made sure to store mine either pushed all the way through or separately so that there wasn’t any tension between the rubber and the plastic. That said, after a few years the plastic started to crack—I think because I didn’t let it cool down enough before rinsing it with cold water

it’s funny to me that it is from the same company/inventor that makes aerobie frisbees and probably other stuff. clearly an affinity for that rubber. but i definitely remember the old frisbee breaking down over time (as any rubber i have ever encountered has) but i thought it was accelerated by always being chewed apart by my childhood family black lab.

Changing gears slightly …

I’ve read a lot of different opinions on how much to fill the coffee basket in the Bialetti - some recommend filling it and “running your finger across the top to level it off”, and others recommend filling it 80% full “to leave room for the grounds expanding”. None recommend tamping it down, which is good to know.

I’ve also read that the preferred grind is not-quite-as-fine-as-an-espresso-grind but again, no consistent answer there.

Your thoughts?

It’s a beautiful thing, isn’t it …

thank you for this line of thought! holy cow was i wondering about this when we did our flight including this over the weekend. if you fill it the grounds pack/compress crazy tight i would think enough to malform the thin aluminum basket/holder. my gut would be at this point not to fill. also the coffee is strong. so i think adding less would even the bitterness to some degree. and i was just about to ask about grind size for this mister B moka express. my gut was too thin and you are both inhibiting water flow as well as likely drinking the grind as… ALLPASSFILTER (nofilter)

in the market for a grinder
anybody have opinions on the following?

I’ve had the bottom one for seven years and love grinding by hand. if you’re grinding really fine it can be a little effortful and take a minute or so longer than grinding coarse, but I don’t really mind at all.

I’ll second everything @alanza said… the Hario is a fantastic grinder, and the burr grinder produces a much more consistent grind than a blade grinder (the other two you posted). I’ve had mine for about 5 years and it shows no signs of slowing down.

I have the Hario, my girlfriend has the Krups. I use the Krups most days out of laziness, but the Hario is a lovely grinder!

Only the bottom grinder allows you to adjust the particle size. The other two options are better suited for chopping nuts. When it comes to coffee, blade grinders are not your friend. You want a burr grinder.

On that note, price to performance wise, you can’t beat the offerings from Baratza. They also have amazing customer service. Parts are replaceable. I can’t in good conscious recommend any other brand unless you own a high volume cafe and require something with a larger motor.

i have to strongly concur with bradleyallen regarding strict avoidance of blade grinders. go for burr for adjustability and precision. you will not regret. either by hand or by electricity. burr burr burr. it will be the single most effective boost in flavor consistency and enjoyment.