Coffee thought talk process

Disclosure: I love people and coffee and until this January I had an extraordinarily public job making and talking coffee in that world. Here’s a little sketch that a nice visitor made days before I quit in disgust. Guess where, SF?

my father needs a spice grinder so I think I’ll get the Krups for that…

Well I’m sold (for the future) I will put a Baratza on my list but it seems the Hairo is the current winner. Thanks everyone for their input.

If you don’t mind talking about it, why did you leave and what does your new position entail? I’ve got a lot of experience behind a third-wave bar at this point so always interested in hearing how people have managed to branch out, in or out of the industry.

re bialetti: no tamping, slightly coarser than espresso, cold water in, take it off the heat as soon as coffee starts to emerge.

“re bialetti: no tamping, slightly coarser than espresso, cold water in, take it off the heat as soon as coffee starts to emerge.”

oh my that may be my ticket in

do you fill the filler or leave room for thriller?

Coffee: fill it up! since there’s no tamping the relative expansion is small
Water: don’t cover the valve or it might explode :skull:

i cannot thank you enough for clear concise direction and i will report back on my (relative) successes and/or failures.

Re: grinders

I am in favor of most forms of physical exertion but for whatever reason cannot stand my Hario Skerton. My partner and I each had one when we lived separately and now we just grind at the store (heresy, perhaps, but I cannot tell a difference that I consider negative). We still have one of our former two, but never use it. Grinding for two just took so much time!

I have used antique steel burr grinders (wooden box with drawer) and while they don’t go as fine, they got the job done with what I consider a reasonable amount of time and effort.

The main problem I’ve found with the Hario hand grinder is that the axle is only situated at one point, so it wobbles a bit as it’s grinding. This makes it put out a fairly uneven grind size for much of the medium/drip settings (Chemex, beehouse, siphon). I’m a big fan of a lot of Hario’s stuff, and there is someone out there making a little add-on to have a second stabilizing point, I think it’s 3D printed, but I just couldn’t keep going on that grinder.

A lot of my work was trying to get people to drop the ‘heresy’ or ‘sacrilege’ talk and try to help them to keep in mind that it’s okay to like things. Context is everything, and there are different cultural norms. And most of all, SNOBS TAKE ALL OF THE OXYGEN OUT OF THE ROOM. :slight_smile:

Yes, in an ideal world the coffee would be ground fresh to avoid going stale. But if you’re in a situation where you can’t adjust the grind in an uniform way, or have no grinder at all, then sure, use the store to grind your beans appropriately for the brewing method you’re going to use, and try to store them in an airtight container. Coffee should be a thing of joy, not admonishment.

I’ve had the store grind for us for a while because it was all the same brewing method (cold brew). I did not mind.

Thanks to this thread I’m now considering Chemex and remembered that we have a Bialetti and also a French Press and then I got really intrigued by taking a single roast and preparing it a few different ways, hence the need for a grinder.

i’m hoping none of this thread contains snobz and all of this thread contains coffee joy.

and to me joy involves exploration and excitement and experimentation and even obsession, passion and love.

in my heart i honestly believe any preparation of foodstuffs benefits exponentially from the inclusion of love in/with/during said preparation.

as for mokapot. i tried another this morning. omg the oat milk was wonderful. foamed well, tasted great and was a great compliment.

not as good can i report for the mokapot (still surely my inexperience to blame). i tried the most recent advice posted here (all of it). the problem occured when first coffee came out, i took pot off flame. then the whole process stopped. no more water was going to come out. so i lowered the flame and put it back on as i didn’t want to waste the beans if possible. that worked technically to coax the brew through. it did taste better then prior attempts. i wish i had one of you mokapot experts around to school me.

so the heat level/time is my main q.

a tertiary thought: would recent roasted (high off-gassing) effect how tight the ground was in the receptacle? i wonder if old can dried out coffee is going to do a much different thing than fresh roasted JUST ground coffee re overall pressure, potential for clog etc.

For real. I did a coffee tasting a few years ago and the buyer taking the class said “hey, if you like Starbucks, that’s cool. I’m not going to tell you what to like.”

I’m far more curious in how someone enjoys coffee where they come from rather than try to express culinary authority based upon where I come from.

how do you enjoy your coffee based on where you come from?

Oh! Maybe instead of taking it fully off the heat, try turning heat down to minimum on the smallest burner? The goal is really to keep the coffee flowing slowly without it gushing out, and avoiding all that runny yellow liquid that splutters out at the very end. You should have a little bit of water left in the base after it finishes. Like you said it’s all trial and error really!

If it’s any help my 2-cup moka took around 4 minutes from start of flame to finish.

i can’t tell if cold water is better than prewarmed water in terms of not baking grounds

mine seems to take a whole lot longer then 4 min im afraid to time it.

tried the mokapot again today. the first was really bad the second was worse. i was optimistic on the second one in that we seemed to start understanding a bit of temp specifics within our system (gas stove). but the taste (while closer to the good coffee put in) was a mess that made me almost nauseous. i do not know what i am doing with it. if i get the gumption i will try again at later date. lol

I had a moka pot for along time, and never got it to make coffee that I really liked. I think it makes very particular sort of coffee - and not the sort that I personally enjoy. I did find that adding loads of cream would make it pretty yummy.

I’m personally a big fan of filter coffee, mostly v60 and chemex. I’ve been subscribed to hasbeans in my mug service for quite a while - and have gotten some really nice coffee from it. I’ve just moved house and cancelled my subscription though, and want to try some other roasters in London. I was looking at square mile, but they seem hugely expensive. Is it worth it?