Cold Mac Ideas

i’m not in front of my system so correct me if i’m wrong, but could you eliminate the need for an inverter by putting the side signal into SURVEY? then a pos version would come out the of LEFT and an inverted side signal would be coming out of RIGHT with the mid signal in OFFSET. m/s all in one!

4 Likes

Just tested and that does seem to work as well! The only drawback with this setup is you lose the ability to dynamically “widen” / swap the side signals using the crossfader. Patching into the FADE jack disrupts the inversion.

Also, an attenuator on the mid signal (between OR out and OFFSET) can help balance the proportion of the mid/side signals in the final mix!

3 Likes

ah right! just got excited at the idea of it being self contained. great patch!

1 Like

This is an amazing patch! It’s pretty eye opening to be able to just use my mono effects in pseudo stereo… Is there anything cold mac can’t do?

Here’s a little recording using your technique

20 Likes

yee

6 Likes

I was tinkering about the way the crease function would be unstable if it fed back on itself, and I figured out a very simple noise patch! It sounds a lot like Dunst I think.

crease out > offset in
left out > crease in
right out > audio out

What amazes me is how controllable it is given it’s simplicity. Survey controls noise texture. Fully counter-clockwise, you get silence. Just below 9:00, there is a sweet spot where you can get white noise, which fades again to silence. Between 9:00 and 3:00, you get vinyl-craclke like noise made from sharp transients which gets denser as you get closer to 12:00. Symmetrically, you get white noise just past 3:00, and silence fully clockwise. There is some DC offset at the extremes, which is not ideal for FM duties unless you AC-couple it first. It’s great when applied to Mangrove’s barrel as it nears the edge of two undertones.

Even cooler: you can get it in stereo if you happen to have a splitter or some stackables. The crackles you get seem to be completely decorrelated, as if they came from distinct sources.

crease out > offset in
left out > splitter
splitter > crease in
splitter > audio out
right out > audio out

Even cooler! Patching in an audio signal to either left or right in will allow you to go from a completely clean signal to a noisy, distorted, and utterly destroyed signal, all while creating a stereo image.

Stereo input won’t work though, as this is based on feedback in the crease circuit, which needs an offset to be in a stable state. Simply breaking the offset normalization with a dummy cable on the other channel brings in full-power crackles. The crossfader does many things at once: it provides the clean signal when the distortion is dialled back through survey and provides a voltage far from zero volts so that the crease circuit is stable, and as the survey knob is turned, the offset gets closer to zero and more of the signal goes through the crease circuit.

55 Likes

Following up on this, here’s a video for the VC Transitions module from the always helpful @DivKid. I can definitely see why @mdoudoroff considers it to be a complementary module rather than a directly competitive or derivative one.

And now, based on a portion of Ben’s video, I’m curious if anyone has fed a sample-and-hold or stepped random signal into the Survey input and what sorts of interesting results might be had by trying this with Cold Mac.

1 Like

at least half of my patches with cold Mac use a stepped random / s&h into survey. absolutely fantastic results for rhythmic stuff, especially when paired with JF in plume mode - I love sending the CREASE output to RUN, gives you these squelchy tone shifts. other JF outputs to ramp and curve and whatever else to taste, extra fun if you’re using wogglebug (or similar) for the s&h and can trigger at least one of the six voices with the synced up BURST output.

31 Likes

i also do this with random voltages from TT, but if i’m using the L/R outputs for crossfading i get a pop in the audio between voltages if i don’t add some slew (~50 ms is enough to get rid of it). is this something you run into as well?

Is this with audio patched into both L & R? I ask because I’m wondering if the right input’s normalled DC offset could be causing an issue.

1 Like

run the same cv into follow and patch that to fade instead of using the normalled connection from survey?

3 Likes

thanks @Jonny and @baleen ! i hadn’t considered that - i’ll try it out asap.

2 Likes

i just stripped down most of my patch for other reasons but i’ll probably incorporate this into my Cold Mac’ing as i rebuild fwiw.

tried doing something similar today, awesome idea! clocked stepped random into survey, 6 outputs fed to various CV on JF and Sisters.

14 Likes

Riding the coat tail of @n-So. Great idea using stepped CV into Survey of Coldmac. Using MI Marbles +5 to -5 X2 for stepped CV and control. I put it through an attenuverter to control the swings.

Also ran +5cv through a ADDAC304 so you can get certain parts to be all unison sounds through JF’s intone.

Ran it all through 3sis. Low went to reverb, high went to Magneto/delay.

10 Likes

update: this totally worked out for me last night :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

It’s elementary, but I’ve more or less confirmed that Cold Mac’s OR/AND circuits are suitable for the logic technique presented in this recent DivKid vid:

One of the weaknesses of this overall technique is that scale selection is critical; like so many things, it tends to “just work” in Pentatonic scales, but tends to get pretty dissonant in scales with notes that are next to each other.
12 Likes

Does anybody here have their Cold Mac racked alongside a VCA matrix? I’ve been thinking of pairing it with the Rebel Tech Mix 04 as a compact way to get a lot of crazy modulation spread around a voice.

2 Likes

i run that combo for stereo audio shenanigans; tis good. be warned the mix 04 is expo response so a bit awkward with CV.

2 Likes

ahhh, I was not aware the mix 04 was exponential. That’s a bit of a bummer.