Cold Mac Ideas

New video on the Location circuit:

Thanks. I’ll be picking your brain on Wednesday at the class. :slight_smile:

My Cold Mac arrived yesterday (absolutely beautiful new packaging by the way)…and what was meant to be a quick ‘just connect it up to the system’ ended up with me loosing four hours to it :grinning:

First thing I tried was using the xfade to blend/send two voices to Chronoblob 2’s separate delay lines (with Cold Mac also modulating delay time, FM depth to voices, and using the location output to trigger delay hold when the location voltage exceeds the threshold).

This module is so much fun, and I can see it being super useful for tying a patch together and orchestrating patch movement/changes (without needing 8 hands to do so) :heart:

Ooo now that’s a fun idea - Are you using the gates for note inputs? That way it would lag behind just a bit and freeze the note that was just played… One thing that could be fun is to trigger a random accompanying gate length for each note, providing some interesting variety. I need to try this later…

Whoa another I just thought of - I wonder how Location would behave with clock inputs? Basically I think you’d get a laggy proxy CV of the tempo, as each clock trigger will get averaged in? You could also kind of get a value of the “note density” if you used note triggers (maybe gates?) that might be interesting to use (while playing a keyboard, you could get volume swells on a flurry of notes, and then start to come quiet down on long sustained notes)

I like the thinking, but LOCATION responds very slowly (even at its fastest rate), and you can’t adjust that response range. You’d also need to have a negative offset in there to drag LOCATION back down between pulse stimuli, or it’ll just work its way up and stay there.

I can approximate what you‘re describing with an elaboration of the MATHS patch here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2969049#2969049, although really getting it to work requires an additional voltage offset and possibly some gate length jiggery pokery to get the right amount of stimulation.

Ah, yea I was thinking it seemed too good to be true. But I may have dreamed up a little Teletype script to write instead :wink:

I was using a bi-polar LFO output from Tides (synced to master clock) which is modulating Survey on 'Mac. This drags the location voltage around (trying to follow Survey, which is modulated by Tides… which is also modulated), and at various points it will trigger the threshold voltage for Chronoblob’s delay.

That’s what I think was happening anyway. As someone else has said on this thread; it seems with 'Mac that you start patching and then end up with it chock full of cables with no idea how you got there :joy:

Ah! I am seeing a way to use the location circuit in combination with a gate, an offset and some creative patching to make an envelope generator where the attack and release stages could have their rates altered by the intensity of an incoming gate signal and a negative offset to control decay rate. Making a note just so I try it tonight when I get home…

Edit: nope not that was worth it, attack was always way too slow

Class about to start. :face_with_monocle:

stream from your phone brother! (only half kidding :wink:)

Will you be uploading this @TonyIdaho?

Bonne chance à toutes et à tous!

Love the effect on the door.

Did Ctrl Mod set up the video for Synthesis Technology or did they do it themselves?
I’ll be watching that YouTube channel like a hawk :smiley:

Sadly this was not streamed. But he did say this is basically a dry run into doing a whole video about cold Mac in the future . :grinning:

Don’t quote me on it though. :sweat:

I do intend to attempt to shoot a full video. I may fail, but I’m going to try!

Ok, didn’t get the envelope I thought I might be able to, the location circuit was just too slow, even with a high offset. I got something that sort of worked, but it took enough maths channels that would better serve as envelopes themselves.

However! Inspired by @mdoudoroff 's recent patch survey video, I patched up a nice w/ looping delay thing with logical audio mixing between my wet and dry signals, and feedback modulated by the survey knob and the follow circuit following the dry signal’s dynamics!!! Fed it a simple sequence and experienced lost time.

Damn you, @mdoudoroff. You’ve pretty much sealed the deal on me buying my first Mannequins module in 2019.

i would suggest just friends first. probably my fav. module ever.