Cold Mac Ideas

cold mac has both AND and OR logic :+1:

If you are using boolean inputs these analog functions are mathematically equivalent to their digital counterparts. I haven’t given it a try yet but it should work.

Also, you can fake an AND gate with a VCA :sunglasses:

He he☺️ I guess I should RTFM! Will have to look into this for the gate processing as well…

My post was written in a hurry so wasn’t that clear. OR and AND logic is more or less all I’m looking for at this point - all the other waveshaping/folding/etc. features look really interesting for what I’m doing, and I love the idea of having a ‘master’ dial for a bunch of complex modulation.

i use the OR logic to combine gates to make fun gate patterns all the time…super useful :nerd_face:

how do you patch that exactly?

one-does-not-simply-RTFM–a-mannequins-module.jpeg

gate #1 into the left-column OR input, gate #2 into the middle-column OR input…then take the output of that diagonal row

i get really fun results playing with bursts from just friends and modifying the Intone setting

The link is above, but it can’t hurt to repost. http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

Great idea. I had trouble replicating this with two outputs from Tempi. I had either one track or another but not an interesting mix of both. Any ideas? I will try with JUst Friends too

Also had trouble replicating a patch involving Tempi gates and the AND function of Cold Mac. Additionally, patching through the leftmost AND through it’s designated input gave different results than when patched through the OR normalisation — that shouldn’t happen. Will have to investigate further

Hmm yeah, I will say I’m getting some odd behavior, namely in that I’m sending a pair of gates from JF into the OR row, and getting some great combination rhythms. But patching an identical pair of gates from Pam’s New Workout yields different and confusingly less satisfying results. Tried lowering the pulse width on Pam’s and still couldn’t get the rhythms I was getting from the JF triggers. Very odd…maybe I completely misunderstood what was going on with Cold Mac originally :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So, I had a play as well with the logic in cold Mac. Things I learned are:
There’s a difference between the digital logic modules and the analog logic as is implemented in cold Mac. I can see the analog logic having a strength in generating new cv patterns from the max (or) and min (and) outputs.
The pulse width was definitely making a difference to whether the or logic was working as expected.
Just friends is awesome for generating rhythms. Put the master clock in the right hand trigger input of just friends while in shape/transient mode, and you get some fantastic envelopes generated for BIA (thanks for the tip n-So).

Upon further experimentation trying to get Pam’s to play with Cold Mac nicely, I did a little digging and according to their respective manuals, Just Friends in shape mode outputs 8v peaks, while Pam’s outputs a maximum of 5v. Maybe Cold Mac just needs hot triggers to do clean gate combination?

Thanks, I’ll check this. I would have thought that in the absence of a gate of any voltage, 5v would still be recognised. I got distracted by a new (old, old) phongene… I’ll check this out today.

this conversation had me finally go and study cold mac, long overdue, thanks for that!

the douderoff manual has been great (although somehow feels like spoilers to the adventures of reading the original manual :face_with_hand_over_mouth: )

while the “logical mixing” of cold mac is more powerful due to the continuous nature, the outcome with boolean values should be the same, an important requirement given: it only works if at least the gate that feeds OR2 is of full voltage of the range of the input, since input OR2 (or AND2) continuously sets the floor (or ceiling).

the info of how much that voltage is seems to be missing in the (or any) manual, correct me if I’m wrong.

now that I know what it does, next to find out what to do with it… :slight_smile:

When you’re doing logical comparison of gates, the outcome will be min/max of both inputs. Thus the ‘floor’ is set by the inputs. On the newer panel it shows how the SURVEY voltage is normalled to OR2 and AND2. This voltage is +/-5 (which is why OR and AND provide +5 and -5 respectively in ‘surveillance’). You can patch a single signal to the OR/AND1 to compare against SURVEY, or patch to OR/AND2 to compare against 0v.

OR is inherently more interesting for gates (it will only mix triggers) as when either gate is high, it will mask the other input. AND can be super fun with two similar but unsynchronized trigger streams, where they will phase in and out of creating trigger streams. Both of these cases are very sensitive to trigger/gate width.

Yep. Was casually lurking this thread the other day and tested both logic circuits with a tempi out of curiosity. AND work exactly as expected, but OR was basically useless cause my tempi is still set to the default 50% duty cycle gate output

I was wondering if I could finagle a comparator in my system to compare against random and by using a threshold, introduce more or less of the random to a pitch CV etc. sounds like this is the way to do it.