Cold Mac panning

Hi. Last week I got the Mannequins Cold Mac utility module. Today I was going to use it as a simple panner. I have the sound (from three sisters) patched to the LEFT input and the LEFT/RIGHT outputs patched to L/R on -isms.
When the survey knob is turned to around 4 o’clock I get some kind of distortion on both left and right channels. It’s very strange.
I have recorded a small clip with my Zoom H2n directly connected to the outputs of -isms.
Sound sample

What is causing this distortion? Is my Cold Mac faulty? Or have I misunderstand the LEFT/RIGHT thing of this beast?

(I also hear some potentiometer noise (like on an old radio) on the Mac output when I turn the knob but I guess thats normal and that it’s caused by the DC from the knob normalised to the slope input. The noise disappears when I connect a dummy cable to slope.)

@Galapagoose will know

Pardon me.
The answer was in the manual:

NB: You will need to attach an unconnected jack to RIGHT input to defeat the DC offset normalled there.

That solved my problem.

2 Likes

That’s normal. You have to start with slope as input if you want to use it as a vca or use a(nother) dummy cable. I had the same question when I first got mine.

1 Like