Composing With Multiple Norns

Tips, tricks, and strategies for using multiple norns boxes at the same time.

4 Likes

Today I used norns A to sequence my Moog Sub 25 via Awake. I used a very slow sequence with the probability turned down to about 50. From there, the audio went into a BIM, and landed at norns B, which was running cheat codes. Tons of possibilities with this workflow for any midi instrument.

11 Likes

the plural of norns is norntopia

4 Likes

I can’t resist, maybe the plural is nori

1 Like

I’ve got a chance to buy a secondhand Norns for an ok price, so I’m seriously contemplating adding a second one.

Multiple Norns owners: how do you feel about having more than one? Do you feel that it’s an overkill or does a second Norns add more into your composition and workflow?

“goth sushis”

nori, black beans, black vinegar, artichoke hearts

nori, forbidden rice, pickled beets

nori, black pepper tofu, hijiki

nori, charred red pepper, desi chickpeas

12 Likes

I’m building my second Norns (bless DIY). Already contemplating what to do with two units.
Basically I was thinking on Cheat Codes and a sequencer, like @mattlowery said.

Also two Cheat Codes (It’s that good), one with sample based stuff and use of the new delay (percussive?) and another with audio feed from the modular mangled into distro/unquantized loops.

1 Like

i recently picked up a Norns Shield and feeling quite smitten. But immediately i want to use different apps together and now i’ve convinced myself to look for another. I was wondering if others out there use more than one Norns at once and would share their experience of that. And is synchronising them a trivial affair?

3 Likes

I use timber + samsara to quickly arrange and iterate percussive ideas and could scarcely be happier.

However, this set up does not require syncing.

4 Likes

I haven’t yet tried those apps, i just enabled Ableton Link in Abacus and sync’d with Ableton Live no trouble, so perhaps just Linking 2 to Ableton would be the easiest way

My Fates is usually the dedicated Pools machine on a send from the mixer.

A Shield will be the Bounds / Barcode / other looper machine after an Alesis Wedge on my other send so I can loop 100% wet reverb tails. Instant vibe!

Factory Norns for MLR or ANGL.
Blessed with magic boxes (or spoiled :clown_face:)

4 Likes

i forgot about this thread

for a few months i had three norns (full, fates and shield) and while fun, i never tried to sync them

only really used em together for audio mixing and recording & once i tried linking two via midi but it didn’t work as planned…eventually i’ll revisit that idea

having two norns is loads of fun as shown here

5 Likes

cool vid and looks great too, thanks for sharing. And so it follows that 2 norns eventually necessitates 2 grids! oh where will it end, well hopefully

1 Like

full disclosure that video is my friend (not me)
i will never own two grids!

i like how using two allows him to work with the same app and same interface tho

i’ve briefly tried using cheat codes on two machines
w/o mirrored setup of two 128s i had the traditional grid setup on one side with an opz controlling the second norns

still and insane level of power