Computer & video games

So, here’s a question for the game folks here. Are there any good fantasy RPGs for Switch? I’m thinking more like Baldurs Gate or even Dragon Warrior style. I looked at that Octopath Traveler and Hollow Knight and am intrigued with those, and loved whatever Jeanne d’Arc game I had on the PSP (have really) which is a turn-based game like Octopath, so I think I’d dig that, but haven’t heard much about a good fantasy RPG. I’m not a big video game person, but my buddy is big on the Switch and maybe a few games would make it worth dipping back in. I guess you can network play too on the Switch right?

Octopath Traveler is made to be a jrpg for the most part, like Chrono Trigger or the classic Final Fantasy’s.

I’ve been playing Hollow Knight a bunch and it is an adventure platformer/metroidvania kind of game. it’s difficult and frustrating.

neither of them have internet multiplayer but there are plenty of games that do, i’ll have to look through my collection.

Jeanne D’Arc is technically a tactical RPG (or SRPG), which there is very little of on the Switch. Octopath Traveller is more of a traditional JRPG.

There’s a Valkyria Chronicles due later this year (I think?) which is very close to Jeanne in spirit and tone if not in theme; Fire Emblem is due next year, and this will be the closest to Jeanne you can get. (Fire Emblem games are excellent if punishing.)

They’re coming, but a bit slowly. :blush:

Ah, what I saw of Octopath seemed more like a tactical RPG (like JoA). What I’d really love is just for a game like Neverwinter Nights or something. Or honestly, if someone just ported it over ha.

I’m not really sure buying a Switch is sensible, but every now and again I get the itch to game anyway. Then it goes away for a year or two after a few days. I’d rather do pen and paper RPGs I guess, but it’s not as feasible anymore with adult schedules and whatnot.

I feel the same way. F2F rpg more or less ended due to scheduling (after more or less 36 years, which is a pretty good run… though the cast changed and we played through a BUNCH of styles and rule systems and such). Can’t really get that excited about rpg’s on a computer. Some of the crowd has gone to playing across Skype or Roll20 or whatever, but I sit at a computer way too much as it is (which explains why I’m on Lines… how… sigh…).

Not sure if this should be split, debated doing so, but not sure the thread would get a lot of traction. Anyway - YES. I play a game called Torchbearer on Roll20. It’s been great and we roughly get a game in every other week and have been pretty good about it since last summer. That’s pretty remarkable I think, and it never could have happened with a little cult game like that in Louisville. So the internet gaming has its perks. Nothing like face to face though still…

Maybe someday, but my gaming interests are pretty niche :confused:

Neverwinter on switch would be sweet. Or any other dnd based game. Consoles rarely get those, it’s mostly just jRPGs

:nerd_face: Pedantically, games honouring the 16-bit tradition which are “tactical RPGs” or “SRPGs” and not just “RPGs” (the “J” is more or less implied but silent) differ in a few main ways:

• Positional combat. Each character has some combination of free movement and actions, traditionally on an isometric grid. Terrain and structures can confer advantages or disadvantages. Octopath Traveller uses the traditional fixed rows and static positioning common to many 16-bit-era RPGs (everyone lines up to fight.)
  • Emphasis on interchangeability and customization among a roster of characters. While a traditional RPG might allow you to choose between characters, it’s often in service of the story. In an SRPG the number of characters at your disposal may end up being 20 or more, many of which may have no role to play in the story. Octopath Traveller offers 8 characters—which is a lot for a standard 16-bit-era RPG—but would be considered quite a small number for one of the hallmark SRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics.
  • Minimal emphasis on overworld travel, exploration, and discovery of secrets. In SRPGs there is typically no pseudo-realtime world map on which the party moves freely and encounters randomized battles. In an SRPG the party typically moves between points on a map to advance the story. Octopath Traveller appears to have all-realtime movement and plenty of “surprise encounters” (I’ve heard they’re not entirely random, though.)

I’m playing a Call of Cthulhu game on Slack right now. It’s got this great “asynchronous realtime” feel as sometimes we can play in realtime when everyone is online, and sometimes during the day we’ll ping messages back and forth and advance the story more slowly.

All the mod cons are there: a dicebot, emoji, sophisticated notification management, mentions, etc. Our #general channel is a hilarious mixture of in-character banter, memes, and forum-style shitposting.

It really sometimes seems like we’re a gang of 1920s detectives who are actually using Slack to go about our work and our lives. Kind of insanely, umm, Brecht/Godard.

Well, a big chunk of the work is making sure the game passes all the Technical Requirements Checks for the platform, and that’s typically a pain in the posterior :slight_smile:. Performance -wise it should not be problematic at all though.

And I’d be surprised if they had a timed exclusive deal with Nintendo, as it was released on PC before and these days Nintendo is really supportive of developers, especially small teams (basing that on first hand knowledge). They basically want good games on their platform.

you are all right who’ve mentioned going steamy.

for some reason i’m a console junky. i very much dislike using computers for anything but what i think natively comfortable to do on a computer (and yes i know they are all the same thing). i just like my ps4 like i liked my ps3 like i liked my ps2. raised on nes and genesis. it’s deep down in there and the only thing im comfortable having a dedicated computer about/on is tunes. by no means do i suggest righteousness in this attitude in fact the opposite i am too close minded, to the point where i have a list of games i’d love to play that i probably never will or at least not any time soon.

Decided today to put myself on a weekday video game ban. Too many lost hours to running around in pubg :man_facepalming:

The nice thing about a computer is that you can play pretty much everything you’ve ever bought if you are so inclined. I’ve got plenty of old consoles collecting dust, and there is something nice about the given aesthetic of a console (each has its own vision and charm), but you can have the same feelings for a gaming computer hooked to a TV, and it can last you longer.

[opinion posted without really knowing what I’m talking about or having done any research]

Isn’t there an issue that buying a GFX card to play games like a console would cost as much as buying a console?

They can, but there are certainly good cards that aren’t bleeding edge. You also generally have a pretty long upgrade runway. One can spend to their budget with varying results. It’s not unlike the modular synth world, in terms of planning and wot.

Consoles are usually quite a good deal. There are perks to each path. One can certainly do both. For example, Nintendo has always been smart about making their consoles much more unique.

I’ve kept my computer investment going for about 10 years, with only one major RAM/GPU/storage upgrade. That said, it is finally really struggling with the New Hotness™️. I feel like I’ve more than gotten my money’s worth. I’ve owned other consoles during that time as well, but after the PS3, I’ve just stuck to PC gaming. Baring some obvious exclusives, almost everything comes to PC eventually and will continue to run them.

yeah, it isn’t the flexibility i want, it’s the flexibility that i do not want. i like the limited nature of a dedicated box just the way i like the straightforward nature of a dedicated instrument (say, rather than a collection of modules). i like shortcomings dictating a clearer line in choice. and my brain thinks in this limiting sense. for instance: i think my laptop can do more musical than potentially wirelessly control my music desktop. i can’t make music on this laptop. and my brain is therefore to think differently…than when i enter the studio and turn the clinical white light on and work/play.

it’s not a sense making thing, it’s the path of function. the music is just one example. i don’t think i’d qualify for any deep mental illnesses but i could come close maybe :sunglasses:

this may be more complicated than i have time to delve into. i will continue to think and i love the discussion and truly i hope o do not come across in any flippant manner. i have once been known to play old NES carts on an old laptop. the freeze state saving mechanism!!! so freaking cool. so i am not toooooo rigid. maybe?

Makes total sense to me. I feel that way about music making, but I don’t about digital games so much. I have a few ways to limit myself:

I just need a box connected to my TV and a gamepad (I happen to really like the Steam controller). I use Steam’s category management to keep my considerations limited, so I have (listed on the left, you can put a game into one or more categories):

I’m usually only considering things in the “Playing” category, which works well for me. I only buy games that I want to play in the very near future despite the lure of the Steam sales. Anywho, that’s how I address limitations within a context of a PC!

On topic:

I am LOVING the No Man’s Sky NEXT update.

what was different about no mans sky update? i was so angered by the initial ps4 release. i did try some update a few months back and it didn’t feel any better. feels very empty in a design sense to me somehow. the planets i mean. the space was cool, particularly the crazy alien structures you can find or obviously important travelers. and the combat in such a conceptual space…really irritated me. i wanted to fight NOTHING

I’ve been playing Octopath Traveler for just over a week now and I’m really enjoying it. The biggest flaw IMO is that the intro sequence for each character are far too long and drag on a bit. But I’m enjoying the mechanics and world, even though it’s rather simple so far.

Chrono Trigger it isn’t, but it is fun and fills a gap for me.

Gosh, a lot is different! I mean, not fundamentally? It’s the same game, but:

• The short version is that it’s much closer to what people perceived as what the game promised.

In more detail…

• The entire resource system is been dramatically overhauled.
  • It can be multiplayer, so you can join up with a small set of friends if you want.
  • There’s more guidance via missions if you want the structure.
  • There’s more plot if you want it.
  • The entire game economy is different.
  • More content in general: planet types, creature sounds, crashed freighters, etc.
  • The loops for stuff on planets have been reworked and slightly complicated for the better.
  • Depending on when you last played, there are ground vehicles and freighters, which are essentially portable bases in space.
  • Bases can be built anywhere now and with more parts. The side-effect is that stuff on planets looks less “placed”, which is nice.
  • The tech system was totally overhauled.
  • You can now own a fleet of ships if you’ve got the cash.
  • There are now more factions within the game that you can improve standings with (beyond the 3 main species).

The core tenant of the game is that you can do almost anything in the game very quickly from any given part of the game. It’s still very gamey. It’s not for everyone, but I enjoy exploring their universe. Finding new environments is still neat. Generative content has its limits, be it music, games, or otherwise, but I like what this game makes! :relaxed:

I had logged over 90 hours in the game before the update, and I see myself doing more now. They’ve apparently got lots more coming, so I’m looking forward to seeing where things continue to go.