Computer & video games

Thanks! I went with “Muramasa” based on your review and now I’m looking forward to “13 Sentinel…,” too, which I had not heard about.

So far, “Muramasa’s” p. gorgeous, arcade-y, and fun.

Thanks! I haven’t played any of those!

“Soul Sacrifice Delta” has been on my list for a while.

I’d never heard of “Race the sun.” That looks like something I could def. get into…

1 Like

those are my two vita mains, highly recommend both! SSD is kinda like a weird super nihilistic monter hunter and race the sun is just a very nice pick up and play for 15 minutes type thing.

1 Like

13 Sentinel is gonna be a completely different game, more in a visual novel style but I’m still confused, first by the history of the studio, and also by the 2D scrolling aspect of the game which really isn’t an ideal feat for this kind of things but I do wish them the best and hope it comes out to be an interesting piece of work. (I’ll also add : narration through dialogue has never been their strongest suit so that’s also confusing as opposed to narration through gameplay and animation where they really excell)

1 Like

TxK is magic, if you like arcade games. It looks phenomenal on the OLED.

3 Likes

Seems like this is a thing people in this thread would appreciate: https://noclip.website

2 Likes

finally

sts-end

1 Like

Not even played it but I’ve mostly been a bit obsessed this week with this one-man outsider point + click cyberpunk adventure.

Found via the developer’s interview with william gibson and been listening to lots of his other podcasts + livestreams, interesting guy! Style is right up my street tho I realise he is developing and getting more ‘polished’.

https://www.youtube.com/user/twiliteminotaur/

2 Likes

So happy videogame is going there now. I should make a post someday for all of Nathalie Lawhead’s body of work. Makes me somewhat hopeful for the medium.

2 Likes

Would be interested to read that!

Interesting concept. The Switch is a powerful little device, and with SuperCollider running on it with all that graphical horsepower for the UI, could make an interesting toy.

4 Likes

Does this actually have SC under the hood somewhere, or was that just a hypothetical? I didn’t see it mentioned.

sekiro in 7 hours !!!

5 Likes

Hypothetical. It’ll have some kind of sound library, and SC is used a lot on video games. Many Unity houses use it, and Switch dev is centered on Unity. I reckon there is a way in.

1 Like

played sekiro for 2 hours last night, midnight to 2am (real tired now!)

im super pleased so far. they obviously thought long and hard about how to make this title distinct from from soulsborne while still being identifiable as a from/miyazaki game - and thus worthy of being a “spiritual successor” of sorts. in this sense, i suppose its most akin to bloodborne, which, its worth remembering, felt radically new too with its emphasis on aggression over turtling and the dash iframes.

here the combat mechanic changes feel even more severe. for me, as a souls player since DeS, the trend from DKS1 to 3 was one of gradually dumbing down the mechanics (and multiplayer functionality… invasions and PVP became at best boring and at worst flat out not even worth doing) in order to, i suspect, engage a larger, MOR player base. what emerged was a gameplay that attempted to reduce the “punishingly difficult” ethos these games are known for with gameplay decisions that actually rewarded attack spam and just running away over practiced skill/timing based combat and situational logic. sekiro feels like a sharp and very welcome rebuke to that so far.

im really enjoying it and cant wait to get back to it tonight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently got back into the Windows world which has opened up PC gaming again. I’ve been into Titanfall 2 this past week. Fighting robots are never a bad thing.

The game I actually want to flag here though is Satisfactory. Anyone playing it? First person factory building on space planets. My son and I pair-played it (two of us switching off on one keyboard) last night and we’re pretty well hooked. We’re looking forward to automating the mining of pretend iron and copper. I haven’t had this much fun having a pretend job in pretend space since my dad and I ran a multi-billion isk mining and mineral arbitrage corporation in Eve online.

This looks fantastic. Getting this on Switch for a long flight.

edit: couldn’t help myself and save for the flight, first few levels are fun!

2 Likes

Baba is Plane, Airport is Win.

6 Likes

i’m only to first miniboss so it is too early to voice opinion but first feel is that it is niohish. not pleased there and the way the enemies sense you/stealth mechanics feel)s) quite empty and used from a thousand games prior. feels like activision. so thus far it is feeling cheap. i’m amused at estus/heal mechanic reuse (thankful). lock-on pleases. required parrying is fun/funny and brutal. in bloodborne i never relied on parrying or gun/stun. more r-spam and dodge. but so far it feels definitely more nioh than bloodborne. again, all with grain of salt as i have not yet gotten gud nor gotten past what equates to initial practice level. it is going to be hard as shit. combat and movement are fluid. it is too early for me to have written this but i think fair to offer up early impression warning to those wary. clearly this is going to be more story clear-driven. you have a speaking character. excited for the magical side as i believe that is where the shining will begin.

huh, nothing here reminding me of nioh at all beyond totally topical thematic stuff which is unavoidable given the territory.

things open up and become considerably more miyazaki-ish (and blood…borne-ish) shortly after where you are. i also dont think it seems more story driven then any from game, rather just about the same as bloodborne (so a bit more expository than des/dks1 but maybe less so than dks 2 and 3)

im quite impressed with what theyve achieved so far especially given the achievements and expectations that hang over their heads.

1 Like