scan the stars; make music! an interactive sequencer for Norns, Crow, JF, and midi.
One of my goals this year was to make a sequencer with Norns & Crow to use with my Serge panel, and inspiration struck when I was working on Offworld (a fun Tone.JS based granular synth project). The concept was to randomly generate stars (each of which was a really an object that held note information, etc), and then to tag those stars to create sequences. It came together rather quickly in the last couple days, and is at a point where I would love to see what other folks think of it (and any improvements that could be made).
Norns, PolyPerc engine, Crow [optional], midi [optional], JF [optional]
It is surprisingly simple!
to start making music just press [key3] and use encoders 2 & 3 to tag some stars.
if you like your little sequence place [key3] again to lock it and just watch the stars pass by, otherwise constellations can make some comically long sequences with ease.
A star’s location on the Y axis determines the note value (bottom of the screen is low notes, top of the screen is high notes). A star’s size determines the release time and crow’s bipolar cv. A star’s brightness determines the amplitude and crow’s unipolar cv.
- [key 1] hold for ALT
- [key 2] clears the sequence
- [key 3] locks/unlocks the sequence
- [enc 1] time division to the Norns master clock
- [enc 2] crosshair Y axis
- [enc 3] crosshair X axis
- ALT + [enc1] probability
- ALT + [enc2] star density
- ALT + [enc3] star size
- ALT + [key2] sequence shift
- ALT + [key3] sequence pop
output, sequencer params, engine params are located in the parameter menu (again thanks to awake & tehn)
- [engine, crow, jf, midi] outputs are all available
- [scale, root, probability, max sequence length, and overwrite logic] are available under ‘sequencer params’
- all notable engine params are available
- [input2] unipolar (0-5v) control over Y axis
- [output1] 1 volt per octave
- [output2] clock pulse
- [output3] unipolar cv
- [output4] bipolar cv
make [key1] an ALT button and add ‘probability’ or other params to the live screen add cv output to crow outputs 3,4 sequencer max length, pop, shift midi cc to x axis, crow targeting control edit-sequence mode crow input on/off option
- mx.samples integration
- have some star size algorithm options other than logarithmic
install via the maiden library or repl: