Cornflakes by Miso Modular

Miso Modular is a Denmark-based eurorack modular company founded by Mikkel Pihl and Søren Lyngsø Knudsen.

They describe their modules as “intuitive, with top of the line audio quality and advanced functionality that pushes forward in the world of modular”.

Their first module is the granular sampler Cornflakes, which came to market in February 2022. They have announced plans to release “at least” one more module in 2022, which is likely to be a dual looper called Bicycle.

They are active on the Instagram, and offer a newsletter for your enjoyment.

The company describes Cornflakes as a “crisp clear granular stereo sampler and harmonizer” with the following capabilities:

The module has the ability to time-stretch, pitch-shift and produce harmonics. It’s calibrated to 1v/oct to encourage a bit of musicality. Recording and playback can be triggered manually or via CV.

Cornflakes, being a granular sampler, does not play its samples back conventionally, but split them into smaller bits called grains. Furthermore, the grains are divided into four simultaneous voices to allow for polyphonic pitch control or harmonization.

The module features 32 memory slots for samples stored on an SD card and you can run audio through it live for real-time processing.

There are manual and CV control over Speed, Diffusion, Harmonics, Pitch, Grain Size, Position, Trim and Distribution.

The Cornflakes FAQ can be found here, and the manual here. Instructions for how to name files on the SD card are detailed in the FAQ.

A YouTube video detailing the harmonization capabilities of Cornflakes can be found here.

Cornflakes is listed on modulargrid here.

15 Likes

Thanks for starting this! The audio examples are sure to start trickling in

2 Likes

I’m intrigued!

Curious about the lack of any windowing/shape control for the grains, at least according to the manual.

1 Like

From what I’ve gleaned there is some capability to shape the grains using the harmonize knob, which is explained at around 1:40 in the link I shared above. Of course this might not be what you’re thinking of re: shaping.

1 Like

Used with a simple bell sound to recreate chimes!

7 Likes

I’m commenting so I get notifications on people’s experiences of cornflakes.

I very nearly bought one as the fidelity sounds so good, what stopped me? Well I have Arbhar which I love because it’s so visual & also inbuilt mic & I have g0 which is high fidelity & it’s not really ‘granular’. When I thought about it I love the fact that g0 is just an elastic buffer so I pulled the trigger on a used Red Panda Tensor (I had one previously but sold it). I’ll be experimenting with the Tensor over cv control.

What also interests me about cornflakes is the file storage & recall & the fact that Miso confirmed that the module ignores all the meta that Mac likes to put on SD cards that has so far made life hell with a number of sample based modules.

£400 is a lot to splash but the sound quality & harmonisation seems worth it, just need to get my head around the fact that multiple ‘grains’ might not be what I’m after, less is often more. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i’ve only had a few sessions with CF, but i’m impressed. as i said in the pre-release hype thread, i think the character is most similar to g0 of any euro granular i’ve heard. like g0, it is less geared towards ambient smearing and more toward hires detail. in that way, it reminds me a bit of old max granular patches i’ve loved (like the classic sakonda patch) and always wanted in hardware.

and it does enough different stuff than g0 that i’m quite happy having them both racked. it doesn’t have the massive, zoom switch enabled range of g0, nor does it get quite as… chunky/blocky (for lack of better words). rather it offers controls/shaping that g0 lacks or makes difficult because of the panel
design. in particular, pitch, harmonization, and distribution together seem to be very powerful ways to tune and bring musicality to samples. it particularly seems to shine with acoustic material- i loaded a sample of myself messing with some marbles/rocks/sticks in a metal bowl and was delighted for two solid hours.

i’m traveling right now but am excited to log more time with cornflakes when i get home. i’ll plan to post more thoughts and clips. definitely seems to be a keeper and fairly non-redundant euro granular module (a feat in it’s own right) so far.

16 Likes

yeah, same. if for no other reason (and ignoring for a moment how one may feel about the concept of ‘preset recall’ in the euro paradigm) cornflakes does at least offer one the ability to mangle some junk, power down, make a sandwich, and pick right back up where you left off, whereas with g0 it’s a more organic experience each time with many wtf moments (which sometimes are garbage and sometimes are the best thing ever admittedly) — that’s almost worth the price of admission alone, imo.

9 Likes

I see that there’s the monitor switch (which I assume allows to hear the incoming dry signal) but is it possible to adjust dry/wet level on the module?

correct, the switch just allows the dry signal in, but there is no dry/wet control, you’d have to patch up a mixer for that

1 Like

I did check the video and it wasn’t what I meant by shape—I’m thinking of the individual grain amplitude envelope over time (sometimes also called “window”, it’s “texture” on Clouds) which has an effect on the resulting granular cloud, spectrum, and overall “texture” (for lack of better word) of the sound. Smooth vs sharp edges, and all that.

1 Like

yeah there isn’t really dedicated control for grain envelope shape (ie clouds’ “texture” control, beads’ “shape”) — it’s more dependent on the source material you feed it, but more so than those modules, it will have more of a sliding chop to it (similar to g0) vs. individual grains swelling in and out on top of each other smoothly. less a granular ‘cloud’ and more a granular ‘swarm’ really…

i’m actually working on little demo here to try to, well, demo this…

6 Likes

I just realized it doesn’t have “density” either so it’s definitely a different approach (perhaps more sample-player derived) than a “classic” micro sound one á la Roads or Truax.

Still, that harmonization control is calling to me…

2 Likes

Yep, Arbhar you can change the envelope of the grains & in doing so you get the ‘smeared’ ambient sounds. The big ‘but’ is that it’s not something I do or enjoy, I like my grains choppy & percussive like shattered shards & CF seems to have that in abundance.

I usually deploy g0 for the live stuff & leave arbhar to take six channels of me playing acoustic percussion samples, during a live performance I can then choose to hone in on a particular instrument or switch to play all the buffers, I’ve gotten some brilliant ‘free improvised jazz drum kits’ that way.

7 Likes

right, and that’s kinda the problem here right? no one is using any kind of standard naming convention for what a control does - when you mention “density” i personally think of clouds or beads in terms of the generation of the amount of grains and their length, which on cornflakes is “diffuse”, except that it really only covers noon > full CW on the clouds/beads density knob, and i think fewer amount of grains possible.

but let me reiterate, i’ve had this thing for like, 18 hrs, so i’m figuring it out too. might eat crow at some point!

(edit: whoops, i can’t reiterate what i haven’t said, was thinking of what i mentioned in the hype thread)

2 Likes

Oh that’s interesting, I didn’t realize that’s what “diffuse” does, I thought it controlled deviation from the original “position” and “length” (at least that’s what the manual says :joy:)

Personally I tend to stick to the academic terminology but as you said it’s a minefield with all the kind of different software/hardware implementation.

2 Likes

I’ve only used beads and clouds but I wonder if this might be more comparable to the newer ADDAC beast in that the focus is more on high fidelity tight controllable looping of very small sample segments/grains rather than smooshing a bunch of grains taken from various places in a buffer together.

Seems the harmonization and distribute feature might be what sets this apart also. The manual mentions hamonization cv in being v/oct so I’m thinking with quantization turned off and sending some slewed quantized voltages you could probably get some nice chord transitions and warbles when using those features. Wondering if trigger in (seed on beads) is necessary to avoid clicks when doing straight waveform harmonizing like this. Granted… I could be completely misunderstanding how this works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is eurorack, some manufacturers are still unsure where to drill the mounting holes :grin:

11 Likes

ok, here is a quick and dirty capture. i have something else patched up so i couldn’t spare much, and also it’s mono because yeah (and also also there is some sample reduction and filtering happening post cf, but i can assure you the sound out of the module is pristine, the main point here is trying to make sense of the controls)

the original thing is just a quick synth noodle (e950 > lpg > cf) the first section is a typical plucky sequence with sharp transients. a random voltage is dialed in the change the length slightly and a cycling envelope is dialed in to affect position.

halfway, i switch to another sample off the card; it’s the same voice, but instead of a plucky transient envelope for the lpg it’s a slower attack and decay so you hear some note changes during the stages and some softer amplitude changes, and cf is pitched down two octaves. anyway, the point here is, everything is set the same on cf, but it’s dialed in so that the envelope slides position just enough that it grabs a fraction of that section of the note change, and you’ll hear it’s never exactly the same twice.

20 Likes

second half sounds sounds like something off of motion’s every action :wink:

4 Likes