Cracked - livecoding tool by Bill Orcutt

I am absolutely stunned by Orcutt latest opus with Corsano, it made me pick up a guitar again, and I made a few researches on Orcutt’s work.

I found out that he made an album utilizing his own livecoding language, Cracked. It is some kind of primitive, open source, punk livecoding language for live performances and recordings.

Originally it was I Dropped My Phone The Screen Cracked, a web audio library he developed; then he made a standalone app for mac and linux, Cracked.

Here are some audio samples on his tumblr featuring Timothy the noise cat, and an article on the wire: “Modular synths have become ubiquitous in the 20 years since the introduction of the Eurorack and for many musicians seem to have become an unexamined default. I’d love to see a new generation of cheap, open digital tools that encourage freaks to code so they can spend their money on drugs instead of saving up for the latest module.”

I couldn’t manage to get it to work (thank you, my zero experience with web audio tools), but lines seemed the perfect place where esoteric, stripped down live coding language is at home and would love to hear more from it!

30 Likes

Thanks for this. Big Orcutt fan.

2 Likes

Ditto - just received my Made Out Of Sound vinyl the other day, an amazing LP. Had no knowledge of his live coding work, will definitely check this out. Thanks.

2 Likes

AH! I checked the latest release, and now it works.

I’m making some terrible noise right now, and it’s super fun

1 Like

and to really tie it in here (from here):

var monome_device = electron.remote.getGlobal("monome_device") || null;
var _monome_press_callback = null;

function _monome_init() {
    monome_device = electron.remote.getGlobal("monome_device");
}

function _monome_led_on(x,y) {
    if(monome_device && monome_device.ready) {
        monome_device.led(x,y,1);
    }
}

function _monome_led_off(x,y) {
        monome_device.led(x,y,0);
    }
}

function _monome_key_press(cb) {
    if(monome_device && monome_device.ready && typeof cb === "function") {
        _monome_press_callback = cb;
    }
}

//register callback only once
    monome_device.on('key', function(x, y, s) {
        if(monome_device && typeof _monome_press_callback === "function") {
            _monome_press_callback(x, y, s);
        }
    });
}
3 Likes

“Primitive and stripped down” sounds like my my speed when it comes to coding. Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to mess around with it!

1 Like

oh, this is rad! I’ve been a big fan of his guitar stuff, but had no idea about this side of things.

he has a bunch of example files from his releases on the fake estates github page, and a couple of them are tied to a monome grid.

1 Like