Cranes

let’s change that! i’m more than happy to help u get a simple implementation of this idea going for your personal version. i’ll move these messages into the cranes thread when i’m back at a laptop :slight_smile:

edit: moved!

5 Likes

As the Indigo Girls once said to me - You’all are awesome. Many thanks!

for sure! definitely into it. also absolutely lovely track. thank you for sharing it. holy moly.

do you have a grid? I’m trying to balance what should be on-device and what expansions could be offloaded to grid. I’m looking to add speed and a value preset system (a la less concepts), so this could be a nice thing to add rather than overhaul the current KEY + ENC gestures.

also, straw poll: do folks use the KEY3 gesture? I really like using it to quickly toggle speeds while overdubbing voice 1, but I can’t tell if others work this way.

2 Likes

I use the key3 gesture extensively and LOVE it. I think it kind of gives Cranes it’s signature sound. Like on this little trumpet thing:

11 Likes

I also love the key3 feature (one of my favorite parts of Cranes).

Expanding other features onto grids sounds like a great idea :+1:

I had some simple ideas for Cranes on Norns 1 that I posted about (voice panning which would also allow independent processing etc.). I should really get started on trying to implement some of them.

2 Likes

oh yeah! these, right?

in current version!

• Independent shift/wobble (Key 3) values, and enable, per buffer.

on the roadmap!

• Simple forward/reverse control per buffer (with speed as independent parameter).

great idea! on the roadmap!

• Panning per buffer (so both buffers could be routed independently via the L+R outputs for further processing).

in current version!

thank you for the reminder on these. <333

1 Like

Wow that’s great thanks Dan!

So many Norns developments I can’t keep track (not tried Cranes since updating to Norns 2 last week).

3 Likes

Only started experimenting yesterday. I didn’t realise the KEY3 thing was active when recording. Will try and will report back.
I do have grid and arc but don’t plan to travel with them, unless performing electronically. Mostly I’m touring my day job (2 guitars, or more, lots of luggage).
Glad you enjoyed the piece. It has that slight thing I seem to be drawn to. Plus I seem to make my better pieces when I’m not trying to be ‘creative’.
Shameless self promotion - If you like that sort of thing you might enjoy my 1D, which are mostly unfinished pieces which we decided we (me and record co) preferred that way. http://www.lloydcole.com/album/1d/

20 characters of key 3 is nice

2 Likes

Ongoing, right now, but once settled I’ll see if I can make printable version. For old coots like me who retain almost nothing.

7 Likes

Just posted a track I made with it in latest tracks. Lots of fun

My greatest wish would be frippertronics like fading away of the loop…

5 Likes

was just listening as I received your notification! you were able to find some really wonderful pockets, thank you for sharing it!

My greatest wish would be frippertronics like fading away of the loop…

ah, this definitely is possible but depends on your config – if norns is on a send from a mixer, you can just leave the small birds / overdub on with maybe 0.25 overwrite, then cut the audio path from the mixer to norns and it’ll fade as the buffer plays. but if you are plugging directly in, I could expose a record volume parameter that would allow you to pull down the level of the audio hitting the record head and let the overdub ride.

lots on the laundry list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you

Yeah i’d Worked out the overdub “trick” I guess I’d need a mixer in the setup. Which is a possibility

I wonder, have you used Skulpt as a midi destination for any of the Norns sequencer scripts? It looks like they could be a nice match and Norns could also power Skulpt? Audio source and midi destination… ? Very interesting…

It’s great. Def keep this for K3 is my vote.
I messed around with it a little on another sketch with Mosstone, but tough to tell what’s K3, and what’s me playing the Osc Frq.

6 Likes

Yeah the KM has the top and bottom bars which basically do the same thing, I hadn’t made that connection.

yes. Not tried that but as you say - interesting idea. Will have an explore!

new cranes posted at top!

cranes 2.1

• grid interface (lots here, see below. very special thanks to @lloydcole + @ypxkap for their excellent loop sync suggestions and @jlmitch5 for prompting interface exploration)
  • midi control over rate + direction (in params, @marcus_fischer sorry this took forrrreevvvveeerrrrr)
  • general code cleanup + enhancements (tyty literally everybody for their excellent scripts which were great examples to learn from)

grid stuff:

• plug in a grid and re-boot cranes
  • use the following legend:

• speed + direction : -4x to 4x, 0 in the middle (unlit) functions as ‘pause’
  • sync playhead to other : sync the voice’s playhead to the location of the other’s
  • re-size loop to other : dynamically adjusts the voice’s current loop points to the other’s
  • reset playhead to start : trigger voice to playback from currently defined start point
  • create snapshot : collect speed + direction, playhead position, start and end points and assign it to a button on the far left (similar to less concepts )
  • erase all : erase all of the voice’s snapshots (similar to less concepts )
  • snapshot recall : recall a saved snapshot’s parameters (similar to less concepts )
  • start point adjustment + end point adjustment : add or subtract time from the voice’s start and end points, in 0.01 second or 0.1 second increments
  • window adjustment : adjust voice’s loop window by 0.01 second increments or by the distance between the start and end points
32 Likes

Wow! Super magnificent! Can’t wait to try it out!

2 Likes

this looks so so great… looking forward to checking out the code as well to learn a few things !

1 Like