^^ crow 2.0+ help: general (connectivity, device q’s, ecosystem)

Hmmm… what else… Have any other case changes? Any chance the unit could be struggling for power? Do you have an alternate USB cable you could try?

edit: Ace! With druid connected, you might try giving your USB connector on the crow side a gentle wiggle and see if the jack is loose? If connectivity drops, that could pose future issues.

1 Like

Blast! Connected and updated successfully, but still just outputting 10v from all outs. I think I’m in the email zone. Thank you for talking it through with me, @grey !

1 Like

Dang. Just to be clear, that is also happening after running the “clear script” command?

I am back to being unable to connect in any form or fashion, so unfortunately I can’t issue commands.

The “can’t get anything to happen” steps linked above have you get it into bootloader mode so you can manually clear the script using the dtf-util command they provide for such a situation. If I recall correctly, just updating the firmware doesn’t actually clear the script, so if for whatever reason, something you had loaded was making it freak out, it would still be in there. (You didn’t specify that you did clear the script, so I am presuming you may not have.)

2 Likes

Yeah, I have come full circle to dfu-util: No DFU capable USB device available again unfortunately. Will continue investigating tomorrow.

yes! I totally forgot this – you may have better luck tomorrow if you use the patch cable shorting method and then run the osx_linux-erase_userscript.command or windows-erase_userscript.bat command that’s included with firmware updates, before reflashing the firmware.

1 Like

Whenever you see 10V on every jack it means the microcontroller has failed to boot. Typically this is caused by a ‘bad’ script upload - which is fixed in the newest firmware from a few weeks ago.

Also- i believe the jacks will stay at +10V while bootloading.

Otherwise there’s potentially a hardware issue.

2 Likes

Is the newest firmware 2.2.0? I was able to flash that firmware during a brief bout of connectivity, but the 10v behavior persisted.

yes 2.2.0 is newest. sounds like a potential hardware problem. i’d email help@monome.org

1 Like

thank you all for the troubleshooting – super nice vibes :sparkles:
already got a new one on the way to matt :slight_smile:

5 Likes

rookie question here: are norns and grid the only devices that can communicate directly with crow? or, can crow receive midi information over usb from other gear, like a digitakt?

Hi all, I’m running M4L through Crow to control Just Friends in Poly mode. What I’m finding is that once a few other things are added to the Live set, the Crow continually disconnects, and I have to physically remove the USB cable, plug back in and refresh the Command Center, at which point Just Friends begins to play and then stops again. Druid was running at the time, and had this to say:

repl:13: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘playii’)

stack traceback:

repl:13: in main chunk

runtime error.

^^ii.jf({name=[ [mode] ], device=1, arg=0}, 1.0)^^ii.jf({name=[ [mode] ]. device=1,

arg=0}, 1.0)

I don’t know what any of that means but was hoping -

A: it’s helpful in some way to the troubleshooting,

B: someone far wiser than me could explain what any of it meant.

Really love using Just Friends with M4L, but if I can’t get this working I may have to commit to recording the JF early on before adding more to the set.

hi all, hope things are well :slight_smile:

crow connects to norns (which natively understands how crow communicates) and other computers running druid or Max (which each help non-norns computers speak with crow), but it cannot host a device like a grid. the USB port on crow is for transmitting and receiving crow-specific code only.

not without an intermediary computer between crow and the other gear. crow itself doesn’t have a mechanism to receive or send MIDI directly – but if that MIDI were translated to/from crow-friendly messages by a companion computer (via max + max for live | monome/docs or scripting with norns | monome/docs), then you could use crow as a MIDI-to-CV device.

oh! a quick note that if Druid + Command Center are running at the same time, performance will become unstable.

just to confirm, are you running the latest version of the M4L devices, crow, and just friends?

otherwise, if you can wrap up an example Live Set that reliably crashes and share it, i bet we can sort it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

thx mr dan !! demystified

edit: holy cow norns shield drops in 10min

I am running on all the latest. I will check my set with druid closed and see what I find. Thanks for offering to check the set, I’ll take you up on that if I can’t remedy another way. Cheers!

setting the jf mode on init wouldn’t cause a full fail of the i2c bus.

i’m trying very hard to figure out what might’ve gone wrong— can you email help@monome.org so we can log this as a potential repair?

1 Like

I tried to update python and I’m getting an error message when I try to run python3 -v or python -v from terminal:

Last login: Mon Aug 9 19:48:17 on console

Eds-MacBook-Pro:~ edblomquist$ python -v

# installing zipimport hook

import zipimport # builtin

# installed zipimport hook

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site.py

import site # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/os.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/os.py

import os # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/os.pyc

import errno # builtin

import posix # builtin

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/posixpath.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/posixpath.py

import posixpath # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/posixpath.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/stat.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/stat.py

import stat # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/stat.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/genericpath.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py

import genericpath # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/genericpath.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/warnings.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/warnings.py

import warnings # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/warnings.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/linecache.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/linecache.py

import linecache # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/linecache.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/types.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/types.py

import types # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/types.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/UserDict.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/UserDict.py

import UserDict # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/UserDict.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_abcoll.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_abcoll.py

import _abcoll # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_abcoll.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/abc.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/abc.py

import abc # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/abc.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_weakrefset.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_weakrefset.py

import _weakrefset # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_weakrefset.pyc

import _weakref # builtin

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/copy_reg.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/copy_reg.py

import copy_reg # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/copy_reg.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/traceback.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/traceback.py

import traceback # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/traceback.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py

import sysconfig # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/re.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/re.py

import re # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/re.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_compile.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_compile.py

import sre_compile # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_compile.pyc

import _sre # builtin

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_parse.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_parse.py

import sre_parse # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_parse.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_constants.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_constants.py

import sre_constants # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/sre_constants.pyc

dlopen("/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_locale.so", 2);

import _locale # dynamically loaded from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_locale.so

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_sysconfigdata.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_sysconfigdata.py

import _sysconfigdata # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_sysconfigdata.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_osx_support.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_osx_support.py

import _osx_support # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/_osx_support.pyc

import encodings # directory /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/__init__.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/__init__.py

import encodings # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/__init__.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/codecs.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/codecs.py

import codecs # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/codecs.pyc

import _codecs # builtin

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/aliases.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/aliases.py

import encodings.aliases # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/aliases.pyc

# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.pyc matches /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.py

import encodings.utf_8 # precompiled from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.pyc

Python 2.7.16 (default, Mar 25 2021, 18:52:10)

[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.37.14)] on darwin

Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

dlopen("/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/readline.so", 2);

import readline # dynamically loaded from /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/readline.so

>>> >>> python -v

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

NameError: name 'python' is not defined

>>> Python -v

NameError: name 'Python' is not defined

>>> Python -v

NameError: name 'Python' is not defined

>>> Python3 -v

NameError: name 'Python3' is not defined

>>> python3 -v

NameError: name 'python3' is not defined

>>> python3 -V

NameError: name 'python3' is not defined

>>>

Any suggestions?

I’m on Mojave, 2015 MBP. Just trying to update Crow, but I can’t even get python installed. Should I really update to Catalina?

Thanks.

You are running python! Every line starting with the >>> is inside a python interpreter.

The thing that seems to have caught you up is you need to capitalize -V.

python -v will run python in ‘verbose’ mode (hence all the extra messages you saw).
python -V will print the version without running python.

1 Like

Happy to say I have gotten python and druid updated, despite bing on Mojave!

I think I got crow updated as well, but still puzzling that through.