Crowdsourced mixer design

This is the 6th most viewed thread around here, so I’m beginning to wonder how many people that would translate into for a group design / buy project for a monome (and clever friends) designed minimal mixer.

Sort of a lines members only Kickstarter ???

I dream of something with the industrial design and focus of norns / grid / arc but dedicated to mixing.

:thinking:

29 Likes

The whole concept of Kickstarter and Lines don’t really go along very well imho.
but

This would be lovely!

9 Likes

If you make a mockup, maybe there are people here with electronics experience who could design the circuit!

10 Likes

ooh I like the smell of what’s cooking in here

4 Likes

There definitely are.

I have (I think) a few interesting design ideas, but no EE background at all, so it just may be an impo$$ible to build fantasy.

i’d be curious to see how a group design evolves. might be most effective to develop/collect some building blocks (partial schematics) that could be reconfigured to taste/need

less we immediately stumble on mono vs stereo :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

This was my first thought at the idea of a group buy for a mixer like this - those who want to mix audio from separate instruments would most likely prefer stereo, whereas those who want to mix Eurorack levels would be more interested in mono.

That said, I’d love to see something that was basically 16n with audio inputs and an output, with some way to use the same PCB for both stereo and mono.

2 Likes

Chapters 12 - 20 are probably useful here:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9780240521770/small-signal-audio-design

7 Likes

81 Likes

Start here & add features:
https://www.zaehl.com/products/am1-mixing-console
But USB powered, and I2C controlled. And pocket-sized. And not more than £120.

22 Likes

It would be an interesting experiment for sure!

mono vs. stereo vs… minimal quadraphonic mixer with joysticks…

5 Likes

coughing in a way to draw attention to oneself subtly

37 Likes

I have no skills that would help with designing the mixer but my vote is for stereo ins, as many of them as fit neatly. I’m looking to sum a bunch of stereo signals to feed into a stereo pair of ins of octatrack or just any stereo mixer that doesn’t throw in a bunch of fx and eq and other extras :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Joy
Sticks

:grin:

(in 20 chars)

4 Likes

We’ve done buttons (grid), knobs (arc), faders (16n). Joysticks are the logical next step. Sorry, I don’t make the rules.

P.S. if anyone actually wants to work on co-designing a minimal quad mixer, I’ll make a thread and we can get this ball rolling. I have no engineering skills, but do have ample imagination… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Does the Koma Poltergeist not meet your expectations in this regard?

6 Likes

I wonder if mixing interfaces for cinema use joysticks to move various sounds around the room?

3 Likes

Covers a lot of the bases! Would love the ability to play the joysticks and record joystick movement a la intellijel planar. Also, I’m picturing something standalone that you could use outside the rack, as well.

I’m dreaming of a mixer that could take both CV or line input, switchable (or pots like line/instruments in traditional mixers).

1 Like