— crypts — a community sample pack

either time or ghosts have rendered them all nameless

crypts is a community sample pack / DLC for arcologies.

a collection of simple “one-shot” .wav files, crypts integrates directly with arcologies. the samples can be accessed by other scripts, too. all samples are CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication so you can freely use them in any of your recordings.

submit a pull request and share your favorite samples! :musical_keyboard: :musical_note: :ghost:

30 Likes

This is one project I’d like to throw some samples in to FOR SURE.

2 Likes

This is a really neat idea, and I’ve been thinking about similar things for a little while now. Having a remote repository of samples that could be pulled into a norns project seems to have a lot of utility, but I’m wary of using git as the platform (it’s sub-par at best for binary files).

Winter is coming here in Boston and with that more time for me to be in front of a computer, I’m pondering something more like Artifactory (there is an open source version), which is purpose built for binaries, but even here we’d likely be blazing our own trail to tailor the needs of a community sample library.

My day job is Release Engineering, so I’ve got a lot of practical experience with that side of things, I’ll be keeping :eyes: on this to see if I get any bright ideas on how to improve the backend platform.

2 Likes
cw blood

agree (ptsd triggered from trying to use lfs). i had hesitations around using git. i think since these are one-shot samples that are only a few kb each, it’ll be manageable. i’m open to moving elsewhere and collaborating to do so. i wanted to keep it simple for the mvp.

"the street finds its own use for things"

3 Likes

Yea, LFS is something that should only be used by an organization that has backed itself into a corner and needs to use it… and then prioritize the cessation of that behavior…

So far I’ve not done any real technical analysis, but my ideal solution would allow a norns project to specify some scope, either a flat list of samples or some hierarchical, tagged, etc, spec that would be pulled down into a local directory which behaves a bit like a cache, purging unused files when a project load has demands the local storage can’t accommodate. All technically possible in the abstract, but needs some real investigation.

1 Like

yeah that sounds awesome!!

The cover illustration is the first dungeon in Skyrim, right? I’m waiting for a Draugr to jump out at me.

3 Likes

i just played that a few months ago… it was my first pandemic distraction strategy!

2 Likes

are there supposed to be samples in the crypts-root folder (if so where do I find them)? i downloaded this pack and placed the folders under crypts but ‘default’ is empty.

yes. they are in eras, digi, hauntology.

be sure to put it in /dust/audio/crypts/!

lots of details here: https://tyleretters.github.io/arcologies-docs/#miscellanea

One area that needs investigation is adding support in the maiden backend for git-lfs. Using git-lfs would hopefully address most/all of the pain points around managing large binary data in git such as samples. EDIT: as discussed above this may not be a panacea.

One could alternatively use the zip archive support in maiden to skip the use of git altogether for packages. Less convenient to manage than git and it misses out on incremental downloads but that might not be a big deal.

1 Like

I see, the ‘default’ option (in parameters) is for user samples I guess?

yes! drop your wavs into /dust/audio/arcologies/crypt and it will pick them up. i suppose “default” is a little confusing as that typically means factory presets, etc. i’ll think about how to make that more clear.

1 Like

Mark Fisher smiles upon you
Great stuff :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

The git clone command from the documentation doesn’t seem to take. Any thoughts?

Linux norns 4.14.52-16-g2c9be99 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 30 21:28:26 UTC 2019 armv7l
 ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
|   | . |  _|   |_ -|
|_|_|___|_| |_|_|___| monome.org/norns

192.168.7.173 ~ $ cd dust/audio && git clone git@github.com:/tyleretters/crypts crypts
Cloning into 'crypts'...
The authenticity of host 'github.com (140.82.112.4)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:nThbg6kXUpJWGl7E1IGOCspRomTxdCARLviKw6E5SY8.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'github.com,140.82.112.4' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

setup an ssh key or download the zip and rename it from crypts-main to crypts.

… or use http instead of ssh (git clone https://github.com/...)

[woop, typo before]

(i personally feel a little uncomfortable putting an ssh key on a norns)

1 Like

ahh yeah, i wouldn’t put an ssh key on norns either. the way i mount i can use all the keys on my main computer. cloning with https is a better solution! i will update the docs.

so @mwilliams it would be cd dust/audio && git clone https://github.com/tyleretters/crypts

new pack up: vamps

vamps.arcology (59.0 KB)
vamps.pset (925 Bytes)

cryptography.arcology (93.3 KB)
cryptography.pset (925 Bytes)

2 Likes