Cut Glove (xbox controller-based live sampling patch) beta

Ok, so I’m finally ready to share an initial beta of a patch I’ve been working on for like 6 months or so. It’s the reason why I started working on the karma~ external with raja (for those of you that saw that).

It’s basically an epic live sampling patch, somewhat similar to The Party Van, but a completely different control paradigm (an xbox controller). It’s meant for a more analog-y and dynamic control approach, with complex/deep mappings (ala video game level complexity).

It’s been more or less ready to share for a bit, but I want karma~ 1.0 to come out properly before sharing this properly too. Both will have full on releases, with videos and all that.

SO

In the meantime, give it a test drive and let me know what you think (if you find any bugs, does it make sense, does the manual make sense etc…) All the required externals are included in the download, and there’s a manual etc…

It’s mainly setup for use with the gamepad but it has the same MIDI learn functionality as The Party Van, so you can use it as it is. If you only find yourself using the wtpa modules and in/out FX in tpv, you’re going to absolutely LOVE the updated versions of them here.

http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/cut/cutglove_v01beta.zip

5 Likes

ps, there’s a github repo for it too (no proper “release” there yet, but if you want to track changes in the mean time).

Oh yes, it’s time to buy an Xbox controller just for this. Excellent stuff, Rodrigo!
Knowing nothing about the Xbox, what’s the exact controller needed here?

1 Like

Hehe, well worth it!

It’s this one:

US Amazon link:

UK Amazon link:

There’s a dongle you can buy so you can use the regular wireless one. If you wanna go that route, you’d need a wireless controller:

AND the little dongle:

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed links. Slightly confused about controllers being for Windows/PC. Do they work on a Mac, too?

Yeah it does. I’m using it on Mac here. Microsoft doesn’t make an official Mac driver, but there’s a link included in the readme to the Mac driver:

Basically the “PC” version just means it has a USB cable, instead of just being wireless, which is how you’d use it with a proper Xbox 360.

woah

missed this until now cause of the xbox mentioned in the title (somehow assumed it RAN on the console…which i dont have)

glad i stumbled in anyway

just made it thru the manual (which is excellent)…the UI feels like home after using TPV for a while

I was quite skeptical about the necessity of a game controller but after eyeing the controls this is BEYOND perfect for intuitive improvised access to multiple parameters. It took me back to the days of reading game previews…you can learn so much about the “game” just by examining the default mapping.

Well this is pretty much build around the gamepad. I didn’t get into massive detail in the mapping section, but I spent months on the mapping alone. How things are mapped/scaled/smoothed/etc… All the modes, and how the hand off from each other. Really really fluid. And hopefully intuitive/musical.

And yeah, it’s very tpv-inspired. Just every single thing about it, improved, from the addition of onset-based jumping in the slicer, to the selectable fx slots (by clicking on the names), to even adding new fx! (Cloud) Having selectable fx slots means I can have more than 8 different effects total. At the moment I’ve left out the filter as I’m going to completely rebuild that, but I’ve got a few ideas for more effects.

Once it’s out properly I’ll talk about plans for the crazy new modes/stuff.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t get this into the manual, I just call it “analog takeover”, but when you control one of the fx modules with the analog stick, you get x/y control over parameters (all scaled/smoothed differently), as well as things like analog stick speed (how fast you’re moving the stick), quadrants, and distance from the center (cartopol) to adjust things as well.

This is just the smoothing code on the analog control over pitch!

rad

maybe this is in the docs somewhere and i missed it, but, how is the controller communicating? hid?

also to anybody considering this who was never into gaming…this is arguably the greatest controller of all time. MS took the best features of the dreamcast and gamecube controllers (which provided groundbreaking levels of analog control, feedback, & comfort) ironed out the kinks and wrapped the whole thing in black.

you will love it

It’s hid, but it’s done transparently, so you never mess with it. It auto detects which controller you’re using (wireless/wired), then connects to it.

Oh, did you get the controller already?

I agree, it’s a fucking marvel of a control. Ergonomic as fuck, super high rez analog controls, etc…

I eventually want to add a new driver where I can control the LEDs and rumble motors from Max, as that would be super useful.

1 Like

rumble features in a sampling app would be out of this world
I haven’t used the 360 controller so this may be out of the realm of possibility but I can imagine using the analog joysticks with a “rumble modulator” turned on at a certain frequency could produce some interesting results. This is awesome I am excited to see some videos of it in action.

1 Like

I just had a quick play with no controller this will be great
i’m off to read the manual

@Rodrigo nah i didnt get one yet but i’ve used em plenty of times while hanging with friends…might actually steal one of my brothers’ until mine gets here

I was also gonna ask about rumble so that’s great news it’s in the works too

Rumble and LED feedback will be possible, as that stuff is coded into the driver already. It’s just the hi object in Max doesn’t support bidirectional communication. So I’d need a custom external to handle that part.

I designed the patch to be used without the laptop screen at all. It gets really confusing really quick, once you get multiple layers going and things like that. So I’d use the LED ring to show what layer is active/selected, and use the rumble motors to show when things are turned on/off, or grains playing back, or all sorts of cool things like that.

That will be a whole thing, to figure out the best kind of feedback to use (visual and haptic), so it’s possible to use it deeply, without needing to screen at all.

As it stands, I was tempted to add a shrunk down UI that shows everything you need to see in a tight space, but I didn’t want to become dependent on that.

It’s here, and as someone who “mostly finds themselves using WTPA and effects in TPV,” it looks amazing. Especially can’t wait to try out the module updates and new effects routing. Kudos, Rodrigo!

One note in the manual – link to Sugarsynth should be Nobuyasu Sakonda download page as the other 404s.

I’m going to have to see if anyone I know has an old controller laying around to check it out in all of its glory. I don’t mean to take away from the achievement that this thing represents at all!, but any plans to support monomes for control? Seems like having to pick a controller up off the table would be hard to do while playing guitar.

woa this seems really cool
knowing tpv and reading the mapping, i can imagine wild sounds and deep set of music (or even better : non-music) coming out of this set up

now i’m not a gamer, never get my hand on this, and i thought about a performance : how would i feel with this horn in my hands in front of an audience ? do i stand up ? sit down ? a couch ? :wink: (i don’t like this emo-drawings)
this controller against me, where would i put my arms and my hands… and my all body ? i don’t know… i can’t picture it.
and how would i feel if i see such a performer/performance ? now i can’t wait to see your movies and such :slight_smile: (yeah i really don’t like this emo picture).

what is the origin of the name?
/
btw just took it for a spin and i’m floored . hands down my new fav instrument

only other question…where is volume control for each looper?

sound test sans 360 controller

https://soundcloud.com/glia/zomegu