CV to MIDI

Heya;

Very rather new here, and seeking advice on a CV to MIDI converter “object” or “module.” Anyone had some sound HA! experience with CV to MIDI stuffs, cause your expertise is good as even gooder.

Blessings,
Damon †

One day I got a call from my own phone. How did it get my number?

Unless you need a lot of polyphony, the best value might be a device that does CV->MIDI conversion in addition to its primary feature set.

I use a Moog Minitaur and a QuNexus. The QuNexus can convert two CV inputs, the Minitaur up to four inputs. The caveat here is that they only accept 0-5v unipolar inputs, so if you have bipolar control voltages (-5v to 5v) or 0-10v you will need an additional converter/scaler to handle that.

You could also look into Teenage Engineering’s Oplab, which is a veritable Swiss (er, Swedish) Army Knife of MIDI and CV conversion. It can cross-convert USB MIDI, DIN MIDI, and CV/Gate in a variety of different configurations, and it has built-in calibration so you won’t have the voltage scaling issues I mentioned above.

There are also a number of options available that just do CV->MIDI conversion, either standalone or in Eurorack, but the first two options above have been working well enough for me.

1 Like

I’d like to revive this thread in search of a good DIY project to use some board (arduino/teensy/raspi) to build one of these (simply for clock) in lieu of spending $150. I’m asking on behalf of the music project that may need several of these hence why I think we could do it for far far less.

Anyone know of anything / done something similar?

For example : There’s the « Temps Utile » module which is based on a Teensy like Ornament and Crime. What do you want to do exactly ? There are so many cv to midi and midi to cv options now :slight_smile:

I’d like turn a CV that’s sending clock to MIDI that will clock (but DIY :slight_smile:)

Oh yes, that’s right, DIY. In that case there are not as many options as I imagined… but I guess it wouldn’t be too hard to create one based on the Temps Utile that I mentioned. I thought Ornament and Crime Hemisphere could do that as well but not out of the box apparently. I’ll have a closer look tomorrow, Teensy (even an old model) seems to be a good solution :slight_smile:

Disting mk4 + expander

Same person behind Temps Utile and Ornament and Crime also designed a CV to Midi module

2 Likes

Now I just gotta take the dive and finally learn how to solder surface mount. Great find, thanks for passing this on

If you’re not afraid of Eurorack and need cheap prices check Ladik. He has a Clock to MIDI Clock module which is cheaper than most DIY kits.

Expert Sleepers Silent Way has a CV-to-MIDI plugin if you don’t mind doing this in a DAW.

Silent Way works most seamlessly with their ES-8 or ES-3+ES-6 modules for input and output.

If I recall correctly, the software might also work straight from an interface that has DC-coupled inputs, though I’ve never tried this, and I assume you’ll have to account for voltage level differences.

ADDAC 222 is a 4 channel CV to MIDI note
ADDAC 221 is a 10 channel CV to MIDI CC

I’m working on getting a 222 right now. Only US distributors that lists it online is Analouge Haven, but I’m talking to a local place that might be able to special order me one.

1 Like

Neither module sends out MIDI Clock. Just sayin

Yeah, an unfortunate absence, I agree. For myself i picked up an ALM PEXP-2, but there are a handful of choices out there for just CV clock to MIDI.

Far from an absence in my opinion. I don’t want my MIDI clock message to mess around with the barage of CC/Note info I’m sending via these modules. And, as you said, a dedicated module is a far better solution.

reviving this thread to ask simply: what does one recommend for converting CV to MIDI? criteria: polyphony not necessary, variable pitch bend, mostly for sending note-on/off events via complex trig/gate info, oscillators, noise sources, etc. right now the contenders seem to be Kenton PRO CV to MIDI, Doepfer A-192-2, or ADDAC222. of course one would require an attenuverter of some sort (though the Kenton withstands up to -3V :thinking:). the ADDAC is most pricey, but seems highly regarded among the others. anyway: best practical/efficient solution for generating primarily note events and gates?

It might be worth comparing with the upcoming Befaco VCMC, which looks quite promising (if you’re not in a rush)

If polyphony is not an issue and you require CC messages you should go with the a-192-2. Cheap and flexible. Duophonic. I don’t think it can send Pitch Bend though, but you could probably assign Modulation and do that for you.

I don’t get your distinction between notes and gates. In MIDI there is no difference, so what exactly do you mean?

Thanks. A-192-2 looking good here, too. I guess by compartmentalizing “notes” and “gates” I was trying to disambiguate pitch data from pitch-duration data. But you’re right, there isn’t such a distinction in MIDI, since pitch events are binary (on/off), thus rendering duration (gate-length) inherent. Apologies for unintentionally articulating the problem in a needless tautology.

Hi, i always suggest this one, the first oplab, not the module that works with op-z, it connects everything with everything… unfortunately it’s no longer being produced.