Cyrene: a drum sequencer based on Mutable Instruments Grids

Edit #2: I see crow outputs are envelopes and not triggers? Is there a simple way to change this? If not I’ll use it how it is and make the best of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Trying it now the Pluck is triggered and the gate on the 0-coast is just barely triggering but no action on the T-Networks. I think I need to increase the voltage outs a smidge in Cyrene.

Hello,

I tried using Cyrene with crow. Crow is putting out triggers but the triggers do not trigger any of the modules I am using (0-coast, Pluck, T-Networks ADDAC 103)?

Is the voltage level on the outputs really low? I tried adjusting the attack and release for each output and that didn’t work.

The clock output on crow does trigger the modules.

I have little test jack LED’s so I can see the triggers working coming out of crow but no triggering?

Hey @jasper_ryder! I helped out with the Crow implementation. I can’t remember whether we provided a param for switching between gate and env, but I’ll add it in the next few days if not, and take a look to see if anything is broken re: Crow triggering with the recent Norns updates. Thanks for flagging!

1 Like

Hi @mbillz,

Thanks for the reply. After jamming around more I think Cyrene is working as it should. Which is to say the crow outputs are envelopes.

If there was a future option to have triggers/gates that would be ace! I am having a great jam with Cyrene now as is though.

Thanks for following up. That feature makes a lot of sense to me as well (IIRC I originally implemented it as a gate when testing even) and should be a quick addition :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! Threw in Pulse X samples and set the bpm to 140, having fun scrolling thru a world of minimal grime tracks now.

Do I understand correctly that you need to use euclidian (or grids which I don’t have) to get tracks 4+ to do anything?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you know much about the arc implementation? Encoder 1 on arc seems to be frozen and not changing tempo (encoder 2 is working as it should).

Would it be difficult to add arc encoders 3 and 4 to the mix? I was thinking it would be cool it they could do this job:

E2 & E3 control selected values (X/Y, Kick/Snare density, Hat density/Chaos)

1 Like

Thanks Matt! Lmk when it’s ready for review

Yup! Mutable Instruments Grids only provides an algorithm for kick, snare, and hi-hat, which are tracks 1, 2, and 3 in Cyrene. For tracks 4 thru 7 you have to rely on some other way to get the patterns in, and I’ve stuck with euclidean beats & the monome grid for that. Lmk if you can think of something else you’d like!

Probably wouldn’t be that hard, but as I don’t have an arc, I didn’t feel confident putting something out I couldn’t develop on, play with, and test out. If you’d like I could send you some test builds for you to try out and let me know if they work well? DM me so we can coordinate if that sounds good to you :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can get to those Crow updates tonight. I can look at adding that specific functionality to Arc later this week as well!

2 Likes

hey @jasper_ryder - I’m unfortunately not going to be able to get to those updates until I have a bit of time off later this week. should have an update by the weekend though!

2 Likes

Just replying here to you so you can post in this thread again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Version 1.5.0 (8ab7151) is here! Available in maiden, or as a ZIP file

Two changes, both by @mbillz:

• Crow’s outputs can now be either gates or envelopes
  • Fix for arc encoder 1 to properly control tempo

I’ve got an arc coming in the mail, so hopefully we can make more arc improvements soon (plus arc support for Pedalboard and Samsara!)

6 Likes

@21echoes I’ve got another PR up to add support for encoders 3 & 4 (per a DM discussion with @jasper_ryder). In the 20 minutes I spent adding this prior to work I noticed there is some lag on the Arc LEDs refreshing on those encoders - perhaps you know why?

I know you are getting an Arc in the next couple of weeks so if you have any bigger plans on how you want to incorporate Arc, feel free to brush this PR to the side. Here it is regardless: https://github.com/21echoes/cyrene/pull/5

2 Likes

Merged! Thanks @mbillz and @jasper_ryder :smile:

So v1.5.1 (e8c1d25) is out. Available in Maiden or as a ZIP file

For arc:

• E3 now controls Pattern X
  • E4 now controls Pattern Y

In a future update, I plan to make the arc encoder -> param mapping customizable :+1:

3 Likes

The dream is here! Version 1.6.0 (19346d0) is out. Available in Maiden, or as a ZIP File

Which arc encoder controls which parameter is now fully customizable however you’d like it. Defaults are:

• Encoder 1 controls tempo
  • Encoder 2 controls swing
  • Encoder 3 controls pattern X
  • Encoder 4 controls pattern Y

You can also mute individual crow outputs via each crow output’s mode parameter.

6 Likes

this is getting even more awesomer with ARC support/integration. thank you for the continued development.

1 Like

@21echoes

This version it is certainly easier to map Arc. Very sweet. I think the only quirk is crow clock output continuing to run when Cyrene is stopped. Awesome work!

Loving Cyrene! any plans on adding the ability to record cut patterns? would be sweeeeet!

1 Like

Curious if internal per-track amplitude modulation (either per-step in ‘sequencer’ style or as re-triggering amplitude envelopes) is something you’d have any interest in implementing. I’ve found this to be a powerful tool working with generative drums, as it gives a rhythmic dimension beyond x-o (esp. as re-triggering envelopes, as in "every 3 steps, trigger this envelope).

Thanks so much for this – it’s super ill and honestly absurd that one can now buy a Norns shield for slightly more than a uGrids and have an even better version of Grids…

1 Like

Already in there! The Mutable Instruments Grids patterns have it pre-programmed, or you can customize it yourself: Plug in a monome grid, hold the alt key (bottom right), click any column in the track you want to edit, then the Y axis is now amplitude. Press the key to the left of the alt key to go back to the multi-track view.

Additionally, at some point in the next month or so I hope to add a Mod Matrix (a la Pedalboard) so you can use LFOs to modulate params like volume, etc.

5 Likes

Small bug fix version! v1.6.1 (d300c5c) is now in Maiden, or here as a ZIP file

• Fixes a bad import which could have any number of strange side-effects, especially changing pages or using Arc
  • Fixes an edge case with swing, where it would slightly over- or under-shorten every other beat for some swing values

Been a bit too swamped with life and work to add Mod Matrix to this script, but it’ll come around at some point :sweat_smile:

4 Likes