Cyrene: a drum sequencer based on Mutable Instruments Grids

You can also make Crow follow Cyrene’s clock (which is Norns’ clock) by setting PARAMS>CLOCK>crow out.

1 Like

All the options are great, it’s just that I had an elaborate patch in which I was hoping to clock a euclidean generator with a pulse, but I will use one of the many work arounds, thanks!

Apologies, I guess I don’t understand what your situation is here. If you’re using Pam’s as a clock, can you patch one output at x1 into Crow and use Crow to clock Cyrene? Alternatively, could you output clock from Crow and patch that into Pams’ CLOCK IN input?

3 Likes

I think the point that you’re missing is: neither of us are talking about using MIDI at all. Just crow & norns.

Plug Pam’s clock out into Crow’s input. Connect the Crow via USB to your Norns. Open Cyrene. Open PARAMS, click EDIT, select CLOCK, change “source” to “crow”. Now, Pam’s is clocking Cyrene via Crow’s input.

Does that make sense?

3 Likes

I can confirm that I have been successful in doing this before. both using Cyrene as well as other scripts as well. The universal clock update (whichever firmware update that was) made this so much easier.

4 Likes

You are all too kind, okay, so I should be able to send a clock into Crow and clock Cyrene? When I look at my input options in parameters I see Pattern X, Pattern Y, swing, chaos, and off. This led me to assume that the inputs were CV and controlled the changing of patterns, etc. Am I to understand that if I were to input a clock to input 1 on Crow it will sync? I am out of the studio or I would just try it.

You dont clock the individual parameters of the script. you need to scroll through to the main clock page, and there you choose if you want the whole script to be clocked internally, via midi, or via crow. once you select for the script to be clocked via crow, it lets you select which crow input “listens” for the clock pulse. Then, you can plug any one of the Pam’s outputs into that crow input and set the rate accordingly and teh script BPM should follow suit.

2 Likes

Amazing, thanks everyone for your patience, sorry it took me so long to get there. This is incredibly great news.

3 Likes

No need to apologize :wink: . You definitely got some solid advice. And I can’t speak for everyone but it’s safe to say most of us had some hand to forehead moments learning norns. You got this!

3 Likes

For sure it’s amazing, superstoked too :slight_smile:

I also have the PNW and the expander (Midi & DIN sync) - highly recommend the expander too.

New or old pam’s?

1 Like

Slightly off topic but It definitely fits in the Cyrene realm. I am LOVING the beat map device reason has: highly recommend checking it out.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/players/beat-map

3 Likes

wow, this looks exactly like MI Grids. I wonder if they used Émilie’s data and algorithm (like Cyrene does) or made their own maps and interpolation?

2 Likes

New Pam’s, plus the Px2 Expander, and the mmMidi to boot, in a 4MS pod with 1010 Toolbox. It’s my little pulse and sequence machine. Always need more pulses and sequences though, especially euclidian in nature!

21echoes: Oh you mean the Reason Beat Map Device, I’m batting a thousand here.

Matthew: that beat map device looks great, thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

That is a great question. This feels a lot like grids for sure. It seems to have a little more “groove” nestled in there. With the right midi mapping its extremely playable. And the fact it runs as a vst/AU I am running it in Ableton. Sprinkle some Ableton/M4L midi gadgetry and you’re off to the races.

1 Like

Cool, I use it with blackbox desktop, system 880 and salmple into norns/shield.

Totally loving the setup too.

peace

2 Likes

you have changed my life forever.

1 Like

@pichenettes might have the answer?
Even if it isn’t some kind of attribution wouldn’t harm.

I made a touchosc layout for controlling several parameters of Cyrene, works best on iPad: GitHub - zbsfm/touchosc: TouchOSC layouts by zbs

thanks @license and @infinitedigits for helping me get this up and running yesterday!

11 Likes

Hi, this looks very cool!
Is it possible to use midi CC inputs to change the densities of the patterns with Cyrene from an external midi controller? I had a scan through the docs and parameters pages, but could only see outgoing midi info.
I use CV out of a 16N Faderbank to control Mutable Grids in my modular and it works really well. I’d love to use the Faderbank over usb midi to control Cyrene, which in turn I’ll use to midi control some external drum gear.

The densities, and everything else about Cyrene, are available in the params menu, which can be midi controlled with the map function! Let me know if you want help getting that going.

3 Likes