Dadamachines Automat Toolkit

I have bought some vibration motors from ebay long time ago. So nothing really special. Just searched for “vibration motor 12V”.

And FYI Questions regarding hacks of the automat can be posted in the dadamachines forum as well: https://forum.dadamachines.com/

1 Like

Damn I completely forgot about the Automat Toolkit, and I shouldn’t have because it’s super high on my list of things to buy, I’ll keep reading things about it here.

Think people might be interested in it here… I added i2c support to the Automat which is easily accessible on the external extension port. Hope to write some opcodes for the teletype as I’m hopefully borrowing one upcoming weekend. Although I don’t have a teletype so I’m not sure how much future support I can give, but I needed the i2c for another project anyway…

That other project is a small embedded sequencer which will allow you to connect a launchpad (and maybe monome grids in the future, dont own one) to the automat. Its a simple mcu with usb host which connects to the automat over i2c and has a step sequencer.

9 Likes

very cool - does it require a hardware mod?

No! The I2C pins are exposed on the side of the automat case. So you just need to connect the 3 wires and update the firmware :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Resurrecting this thread to see what are people are thinking about the automat toolkit. Very interested in getting one and I wanted to see how other people were using it. Anyone that can comment on pros and cons they’ve found with it?

1 Like

Floex sure seems to have fun with it :

https://youtu.be/OcSx1kowDT0

Personally I still want a kit but can’t justify the cost. But still want it. But…

I got another set of the servo holders etc delivered today from Ponoko…
the design files are on the Automat site

I’m using mine in combination with a set of three Polyend PercPro units, will shoot some video etc over the holidays…

1 Like

How are you using the dada compared to the Polyend? How do they compare quality wise?

I’d be curious of that as well (my understanding is that the Polyend one is more aimed at traditional drum playing and is less “DIY” friendly but they still seem lile pretty complementary offering)

1 Like

I’ll try & remember to comment here in following weeks - I’ve used the PercoPro a bit, but am just starting with the dadamachine… They both seem very well thought out, and highly evolved.
As per @LLK the dadamachine is more open to experimentation/hacking/alt articulation etc… To do anything with it that is the starting point whereas the PercPro are clearly focused on drums
and are very fast & reliable to set up and use on a drum kit or any other drums… But they aren’t built to be customised - they are drum sticks. It was only when I (kinda) broke one of mine (doing speed ramps up to 999bpm against a metal cabinet) that I managed to customise the beater on one of them. They are very robustly built, and it was my fault that the loctite or whatever came free. But it has worked out for the better. I documented it here:
http://www.musicofsound.co.nz/blog/fail-better

3 Likes

I just finished a big project using them (some pics here) and I’m really happy with them.

Being solenoids, they are good at certain kinds of movements, and aren’t silent or anything, so depending on what you need and want, that may impact things for you.

But all the parts and bits that come with it are fantastic. In the end I didn’t use any of them and instead designed and 3d-printed a whole mess of stuff around them (which I’ll post to thingiverse soon), since I had a quite specific use case in mind.

Also the new velocity firmware (video) is really handy. Although not making a massive difference on crotales (my use case), it was useful enough to build in to my patch.

So in summary, a thumbs up from me.

4 Likes

Here’s the teaser video for the project (@tremblap’s FluCoMa), shot by @Angela. The automat stuff is shown towards the end:

9 Likes

Oh dear this is so so so wonderful. Wish I could see that live.

That is incredible. Wish i could be there! What’s in your hand that you’re moving around the snare? (Sounds like creating feedback of some sort?)

1 Like

It’s a contact mic if I recall the creative process behind this well enough, @Rodrigo talked about it in various threads ! It sounds amazing.

It’s actually a condenser mic:
https://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/microphones/x-x-omnidirectional-lapel-condenser-microphone/

The housing around it is a 3d-printed thing I made. Some more pictures here:

It’s largely friction stuff, but also a fair amount of feedback. The overall approach is something I’ve been working on for a few years now (video). The big new thing here is the incorporation of the DIY crossfader thing to apply turntablism techniques.

Then some machine learning stuff along with the Metal Resonance library from @timp.

5 Likes

If you can’t wait to see @Rodrigo on YouTube in a week, you can hear it on the BBC tomorrow: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000c2s3

2 Likes

I’m enjoying the dada system.

I found that the mounts were fun to make but not super robust - I’m cack at diy though. A stronger solution for me has been to use big mic clips and jam the solenoids in. It’s not pretty but they are solid now.

Has anyone got any strategies for minimising the solenoid click? For some situations it’s almost as prominent as what it’s playing.

1 Like

re minimising the solenoid click,
I wonder if that is why the PercPro beaters are fully enclosed?
I havent managed to find a way to take them apart, but some form of dampening (so the solenoid mechanism does not hit metal against metal inside the solenoid when it has fully fired & hitting against the inner shell) and fully wrapping & enclosing the solenoid reduces the mechanism sound…
just a theory!