Dadamachines Automat Toolkit

@Rodrigo It’s a bit broad question as you did not attach a datasheet to specific actuator / motor. The automat can in theory drive pretty much every actuator out there. It might need custom electronics and code to do so.

• What Voltage / Amperage does the ERM Motor need?
  • What type of ERM Motor do you want to use. On the webpage are a couple of different ones.

Hi @nevvkid!

I hadn’t decided on an actual motor yet. Based on what’s in the Soundbrenner haptic metronome, which their intro video lists as a “7g ERM Vibration Motor”, I would imagine that would translate to something like this or this. Both are listed as 3VDC.

It was more a question as whether the type of driver signal used in solenoids is the same as what a DC offset motor expects.

If not, what would the custom electronics and/or code be to do so?

It could be done with the automat.
But i think as it is 3V you would probably be better of building your own custom solution based on a standard arduino board. The automat runs in a range of 9V-24V this is as well the range where you can use the Outputs on the unit.
The IO ports inside are 3.3V but the Motors you linked are between 70-290mA which will require external power supply + MOSFETs to run them.
If you would work with a higher voltage the automat would suit the scenario better. Another question would be what kind of behavior you want to see in terms of control?

Oh I see. Hmm.

The expected behavior would be when sending a note on the motor would start vibrating, and on note off it would stop. If that was the case I would probably work out other patterns of smaller sub-pulses to differentiate between different types of haptic feedback.

It would be amazing to have control over intensity as well, but I don’t think that’s presently possible with the automat(?).

I’ve thought about going DIY with it, but that idea/project has stalled for various reasons over the years. The initial plan was to have a wireless/xbee-based solution, but that got downgraded to wired to streamline things. I’ve been eyeballing the automat for a while anyways, and just thought that it could work double-duty on something like this.

So if I used motors that took at least 9V then it would “work” with the automat?

I have released the software for the automat on github yesterday.
The latest version allows velocity for the solenoids. To control the intensity you would need another velocity mode we are still working on. That new mode will allow as well to control the brightness of LEDs or Motor speed for most DC Motors.

I have used 12V Vibration Motors to resonate strings in the past.

The github repository can be found here: https://github.com/dadamachines/automat
And i am happy for everyone who wants to contribute to the code!

Oh man, that’s great news about velocity stuff!

Do you happen to remember what 12V motor you used? I’ve not settled on anything yet for this, and since it’s going to be a wired solution now, it will just be part of an ankle/wrist strap mount and doesn’t need to be too small or anything.

I have bought some vibration motors from ebay long time ago. So nothing really special. Just searched for “vibration motor 12V”.

And FYI Questions regarding hacks of the automat can be posted in the dadamachines forum as well: https://forum.dadamachines.com/

Damn I completely forgot about the Automat Toolkit, and I shouldn’t have because it’s super high on my list of things to buy, I’ll keep reading things about it here.

Think people might be interested in it here… I added i2c support to the Automat which is easily accessible on the external extension port. Hope to write some opcodes for the teletype as I’m hopefully borrowing one upcoming weekend. Although I don’t have a teletype so I’m not sure how much future support I can give, but I needed the i2c for another project anyway…

That other project is a small embedded sequencer which will allow you to connect a launchpad (and maybe monome grids in the future, dont own one) to the automat. Its a simple mcu with usb host which connects to the automat over i2c and has a step sequencer.

very cool - does it require a hardware mod?

No! The I2C pins are exposed on the side of the automat case. So you just need to connect the 3 wires and update the firmware :slight_smile: