Democracy

an interesting bit of american democracy is playing out live right now, i’ve been listening to it on and off during work for a few hours.

How different would the world be if we believed Anita Hill?

Concurrence: Rehnquist, joined by Scalia, Thomas

An Inconvenient Truth

This is the one I always think of and bring up–and actually what I was thinking about as I was drawing. It seems like people have amnesia about this one in particular, but I think I remember it so vividly because I was living in Florida at the time.

Bananas.

We are on the wrong timeline. In the right one, Clarence Thomas was never a Supreme Court Justice.

To anybody personally struggling right now as a result of these hearings and all it dredges up…i feel you. :(:pensive:

If the tragedy weren’t so horrifically dark, I might almost be capable of laughing along with a friend’s synopsis:

Really enjoying the season finale here. I love how it’s tying together a lot themes, both as reprise to ask us, the audience, to revisit our thoughts on previous episodes, and as in-world tit-for-tat between team red and team blue.

There’s the flat denial of an inappropriate sexual encounter, drilling down into words and semantics. There’s that whole thread from last season about the judicial pick just before an election. The last-moment reveals that may or may not be intentionally timed (brilliant!) and may or may not sway a vote (mm hm). The victim grilling. And always against the silent backdrop of a pervert president.

(Bill Clinton:Kavanaugh, Merrick Garland:Kavanaugh, Comey’s late emails:Blasey et al, Anita Hill:Blasey, Clinton:Trump)

The writers are masterfully tying together a lot of early plot lines, moral themes, and character motivations leading to this denouement. So many reasons to cry.

Today’s gonna be a great cliffhanger.

The timelike loops are a bit much. Somebody ought to hit the brakes on this writers’ room.

I was too young to remember Anita Hill. Maybe there was the question there of whether or not she was believed. What is undeniable today, in the wake of yesterday’s senate hearings, is that even when believed…it doesn’t matter.

If it were easy for women to walk away from patriarchy, it would have happened already.

Families are on the line and capitalism is doing nothing to help. So much easier to go along and get along. “those things happened so long ago, we’ve moved on…” or worse, “that never happened at all!”

Heh, and I say “easier” as if it were easy…

Yesterday really drove home (again) the Republican willingness to ignore uncomfortable realities in favor of partisan dogma – whether through some kind of powerful cognitive dissonance or through simply not caring at all .

It would have been so easy for them to have dropped this guy and chosen someone with fewer skeletons in his closet. They actually thought that doing so would hurt their results in the upcoming midterm elections more than sticking with him. In a just and sane world with well-informed and rational voters, the choice they made should destroy the party’s credibility forever.

A rather dark interpretation of these events, which I tend to think is probably spot on, is that as it becomes more apparent this guy is a lying, unhinged, sexual predator dirtbag the more likely he is to be defended as a sort “F You” to the rest of us, as in “he’s one of us, we decided he shall ascend, and he (or more largely, old school mediocre rich white male religious predestined power) will not be denied for any reason whatsoever.” Ta-Nehisi Coates’ idea of Trump being the first white president is starting to resonate with me now much more than when first presented. Bummers all around!!

Also Lindsey Graham’s “I’m just a polite, well-intentioned southern boy come to the big city who just cannot be-LIEVE how cruel people can be” routine had the effect of simultaneously making me laugh and feel like I needed to take a shower with industrial strength cleaning chemicals. Impressive!

Putting this here for anyone who hasn’t read it:

Sadly, I fear the hearings will not be remembered at all.

That makes sense, I guess.

Trump being an obscene cartoon villain was considered a feature, not a bug. I guess the same holds true for Kavanaugh.

It’s not that they don’t believe Ford, and it’s not that they don’t care… it’s that this is exactly what they wanted.

I’ve been coming back to this almost on a weekly basis. Incredibly relevant (war, capitalism, class, systemic racism, international relations, elections, etc. etc. etc.)

“Just how blind, America?”