Democracy

Yeah, my point was a bit oblique, but it boils down to the idea that we don’t stop fighting just because we aren’t currently winning.

Indeed, that’s when you need to fight harder.

No, but part of the reason ‘we’ aren’t winning is because ‘they’ (ugh - I dislike the political binary) have disenfranchised so many. That is getting worse and may cement the Republican hold even with massive mobilization.

I hate it if we’re talking about D vs R. But I’m ok with it if we’re talking about human rights vs. loss of humanity.

Pretty much…

I tend to think electoral politics are hopelessly mired with careerist hacks, but this is nice anyway :grinning:

yesterday: it can’t really get too much worse
today: …

I think it’s time we created a Supremer Court. It’s like the Supreme Court, but moreso.

As I’ve read elsewhere: we were far too used to thinking of the Supreme Court as being the ones who save the day when the other two branches of government fail the people.

We can blame this on Mitch McConnell’s delay of Obama’s SCOTUS pick. And we can blame low Democrat voter turnout in 2010 and 2014 for Mitch McConnell. And the Democratic Party establishment deserves a bit of the blame for that low voter turnout, by failing to serve and inspire people enough to go vote. Too often, people vote against the other side rather than for what they believe in.

I hope Ocasio-Cortez’s primary victory is a sign that’s changing, and I hope the party leadership learns something from it. I hope the legislative branch can be reclaimed this fall. And I hope RBG is immortal because we need her.

We should also consider disenfranchisement as a potential cause for low turnout.

Also true. There needs to be considerable reform where it comes to the voting process itself (automatically registering everyone, having a national holiday for voting, early voting, fixing gerrymandering, etc. Adding ranked-choice voting in there too would be nice.)

For Presidential elections, re-examining the Electoral College and the parties’ systems for choosing candidates is also necessary.

But the Democrats’ #1 priorities right now need to be fighting Trump on every front, and getting people to the polls to flip seats blue. They can’t do much else until that happens.

:100: I have been excited twice recently by American politics:

• The turnout to defeat Roy Moore thanks to the Alabama NAACP
  • Ocasio’s win yesterday in the NY 14th district house primary. Her campaign video (not to mention the issues she mentions on her website) is great:

I want more of this, less of the middling, lukewarm BS!

It’d be great to flip seats in the mid-term elections.
I have the sneaking suspicion that the dems will run Hillary again in 2020. She’s still really visible and I don’t remember that ever happening with any other opponent (of course the ubiquity of social media could have something to do with my perception). The dems need to run someone else.
If she runs again, she’ll lose again.
…but I want to be optimistic and believe there’s no friggin way the dems are that tone deaf.

No way.

I think we need to demand new candidates during the primaries. I don’t want anybody who ran in 2016.

I think it’s long been common wisdom that running presidential candidates with too much of a political track record is a big mistake most of the time, but that was preempted by a sense of propriety for Clinton’s campaign, as well as decades of coalition building from her.

I can’t imagine anyone seriously recommending trying the same candidates as last time as a path to success.

In her defense (which, I’m not inclined to do), there was also 25 years of coalition building against her. Fair and accurate or not, people had a lot of strong ideas of who she was as a person and candidate.

Today was an emotional rollercoaster to say the least :confused:

Things are looking pretty grim for lefties in the USA. The Ocasio-Cortez story is inspiring, and I love her message(s), but remain very skeptical this will be enough to cause democratic leadership to recalibrate. More broadly, as the supreme court wills itself into irrelevance (as far as them being a supposedly mostly nonpolitical body of fair arbiters etc) I fear this is more of a reflection of an actual constitutional crisis. Ie. our constitution no longer being enough to sustain a functioning republic. Approval ratings of congress being steadily comparable to that of herpes, the extreme stratification of individuals’ political views melding into tribal identities, previously mentioned lack of election oversight (and the general failures of the structural elements like the electoral college system, gerrymandering, under representation of urban/non-rural voters, vast presidential powers, etc etc), the push by one party to make voting as difficult as possible for potential members of the other party, low voter turnout, voter apathy or burnout… is it time to rethink things on a very broad scale?

Probably, but how? Democratic institutions were supposed to be our means for accomplishing that. Are we going to organize via 1000 online forums? Seems unlikely.

Haha I know… I’m thinking of a rewrite of the constitution… obviously never gonna happen, but I do wish we (as a society) would consider that this is not some magical document written when God, Buddha, Einstein and Oprah sat down over a beer and hashed out this representative democracy thing once and for all. There’s a little tiny bit of precedent at least
https://www.npr.org/2011/12/10/143354018/reconstituting-the-constitution-how-to-rewrite-it