Deportes / sports

No I haven’t. It’s really weird to see as an outsider. It’s not like sports aren’t important in the US, people go crazy about that shit, but something about soccer (football) is terrifying, specifically given how ingrained it is.

It’s the cross section of nationalism/jingoism, entertainment, class struggle, and hooliganism that is fucking crazy.

(getting sidetracked here though, hehe)

Not sidetracked at all if you read the Ballard book, because that’s exactly what he gets into. It’s one of my favorite books of his.

Anyway, I completely agree.

I didn’t see the match cause I’m not following English football as much I used to (and have no real interest in either team)

but having watched the tackle my first thought is that the ref probably could’ve prevented the situation if he’d done his job properly…I could be way off base, particularly since I didn’t watch all 90+ mins, but Kun is not the type to lash out like that

He mustve been provoked and frustrated that the officials hadn’t protected him . not an excuse for deliberate violence but the best solution is usually consistent control from the ref and his assistants

Without the tackle and ensuing fight, the Fernandinho-Fabregas clash doesn’t even happen

Hey sorry I missed your message a few months back…long story but yes I’m an arsenal fan by way Dennis Bergkamp & Wenger. I have several teams I lend casual support to but they all take 2nd place to the local club (DCU). Only Dortmund and Arsenal come close and I check results/highlights for each pretty regularly.

Also have had fleeting attachment to Boca Juniors, Atletico Madrid, Fiorentina, Bolton, Barcelona, and Chelsea. Several national teams as well but the list changes based on style and players employed.

Dunno if it really counts a sport, but I got heavily into longboarding this year. One of the great things about it is the culture surrounding this pasttime.

There’s this outsider aspect to all kinds of skating which encourages looking at the world differently. I love the weird excited feeling when you’re driving up a quiet road & suddenly realise you’ve discovered a wicked downhill run. Skating culture in all it’s incarnations seems to foster something of a hacker mentality toward law, property & freedom.

Of course there is a competitive aspect to longboarding, with organised races & such. But I think the appeal there for spectators has more in common with live music than the tribal experience of, for example, a football match.

[quote=“rick_monster, post:25, topic:2863”]
Skating culture in all it’s incarnations seems to foster something of a hacker mentality toward law, property & freedom.
[/quote]I’ve never been good at any skate related but it did change my view of public property forever

In DC yesterday I chuckled seeing knobs installed on the new granite ledges around the Dept of Commerce building (across from the African American Art Museum). They’re the perfect height with really nice surroundings to skate.

Randomness: yesterday, while walking to the car with my eight year old son from a movie theater, I stopped him in front of a new skate shop that recently opened in my neighborhood, and I pointed at the old school Powell & Peralta sticker in the window and said “they made my favorite board when I was a kid. A little older than you–a young teenager. That, and a Dogtown.”

That’s over 35 years ago. Makes me shiver to think about it.

The pools…the pools…

That Dogtown and the Z-Boys doc rules. Sometimes I’ll play that for my 8th graders if we have weird scheduling issues like snow days to remind them that history is more than dead dudes in wigs. Plus, the empowerment/impact that teenagers specifically had, and the environmental factors leading to that era of pool boarding. Man, it’s so magical.

There were a few pools walking/skating distance from my high school. One required climbing a fence in to a garage type area–it couldn’t be seen from the alley. That one had a pretty harsh transition and tremendous vert. Wasn’t actually that good. Someone finally threw a few buckets of sand in it to keep us out.

The other was glorious; broad, gentle kidney, part of an old motel that was condemned. Then it was torn down, but the pool remained for a while. It was covered in spraypaint. Bunch of us would show up, with a box, blasting tunes, and we’d skate. Sometimes twenty kids.

Unrelated to anything beyond the open ended topic of sports, the Philadelphia Flyers have won 9 straight. Anyone besides me a fan of hockey? I’ve been working on learning the game the last few years and it has been pretty fun!

[quote=“sellanraa, post:30, topic:2863”]
Anyone besides me a fan of hockey?
[/quote]grew up playing w my brothers after learning to skate…hockey is the sport I’m best at playing (not sure how)
used to obsess over the peguins during jagr-lemieux era but lost nearly all interest after the 2004 lockout
still decent fun to watch but it’s always best in the arena as a spectator

The only game I went to was a Red Wings / Kings game in Detroit. My coworker is from there and hooked us up with the Red Wings box which was insane. One period we all rotated into the first row center ice. I was right behind Mike Babcock. So fast, so exciting…

My step-dad’s son is designing the new arena and we’ve discussed going up. My dream is to take my step-dad to an outdoor game, if not the Winter Classic, something. Pens v Flyers is this winter and would be awesome to see at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Time to see if tickets are on sale and how stupid I’d be to pay for them :slight_smile:

Nice. Most of the games I went to were because a close family friend would use Red Wings v Caps as an excuse to visit us from NC.

Hope you can get tickets cause there is something magical about hockey outside. Most of the time my buddies played on a full sized concrete rink near our neighborhood. Wasn’t until I lived in rural NY that I met guys who played on frozen ponds and lakes. We’d also hijack outdoor basketball courts and one guy flooded a small area w/ knee-high boards he’d built. Insanely fun time and great excercise

Grew up in WI, but didn’t have a lot of experience playing hockey, but we did play on a lake some and our school actually had a rink. My memory of that was playing soccer in it more than hockey though. Doh!

Tickets start at $180 for the game in Pittsburgh, oof. Someday though…someday. :slight_smile:

yeah actually soccer on outdoor tennis courts is hands down my fav activity but basketball and American football were far more popular growing up…I played them all

That’s indeed what drove me into skate at young ages, i was never interested in other sport before, but the “outsider” , “break the law” culture, or however you name it really got into me, was the only serious thing in my life apart from music actually… BTW minute 4:36 it’s a 14 year old me … :joy:

Football in the UK is great!! I think its because it can get so primal. I don’t follow a top team - Greenock Morton was my local team, and I still follow them today. We are in the 2nd tier in Scotland. But no less passionate than some of the bigger sides. There’s something great about standing in the terrace surrounded by people chanting for the team. For me, it is about spending time with my Dad. My mum and brother dislike football so it was the 2 of us for many many years. We could talk about anything at the football.

Morton are based in a deprived area of Greenock (once recognised as one of the most deprived communities in europe!) The club have been really active in the local community. Engaging with schools, dementia groups, weight loss schemes etc and don’t turn anyone away from playing for the youth teams because of ability/size.

FWIW - Greenock Morton will be playing Hibernian on BBC Alba (TV or iPlayer if you get a VPN) on Saturday at 5.15pm UK - if you want to see what an old fashioned “stadium” looks like!!!

The nonsense that accompanies some teams is out of order though. (My colleagues son was killed because he wore a Celtic shirt in the wrong part of Glasgow just after they beat Rangers).

Wasn’t sure if this fit better in the latest tracks/videos thread. But since skateboarding was mention above I figured here was just fine

This is a little teaser for a skate video my brothers are working on featuring music by moi. Hope you enjoy! Warning they have a fairly childish sense of humor. But I mean it’s a skate video haha

I fell in love with soccer while traveling in Europe during the 2004 Euro. Van Nistelrooy, Rooney’s debut, and many other fond memories there. I still watch a match or two on the weekends when I have time, but one of the best decisions I’ve made was to join in on a friend’s pickup group. I had no soccer training past the age of 8, so I had to learn how to play with people who’ve been around the game their whole lives. But it’s been worth it. It’s a very diverse group and we play twice a week. Watching everyone show up laughing and playfully trying to insult eachother in a mix of English and Spanish; it’s a special feeling, akin to losing yourself in enjoying or making art. Needless to say it requires a good group of people, but I’d encourage anyone to think about playing the sport they love to watch.