Deportes / sports

wow, that argentina v nigeria game was epic…it really felt like the world cup
especially with the telemundo cats re-discovering their argentinian accents!
and can we now say, with authority
that VAR can’t solve all
even with video replay, the calls are subjective :slightly_smiling_face:

not surprised

nigeria always loses to argentina (except 1996 olympics)
they played too poorly in the first game of the group stage to expect anything but elimination

i’m glad they earned some respect in the last two games but i’m ok with the result

side note: i remember watching john mikel obi and messi facing off years ago in the 2005 u-20 WC final…time flies, very different careers for the hype they received but it’s incredible to see them captain their sides at the senior level in another high stakes head-to-head match

Gutted for Nigeria. They deserved a draw. Argentina looked very poor though. A shadow of their former selves.

I think this World Cup has been great so far (lots of excitement).

Gutted for Nigeria too. I think they looked like a decent side.

But, Argentina have Messi, which is both good and bad. Good: they have the GOAT in their squad. Bad: he is relied upon every time to get the rest of the team out of trouble,

None of them seem to put a proper shift in as they must just think ‘well we’ve got Messi… he’ll sort it out’.

Also enjoyed the England game on Sunday. It was weird watching England and it being a stress free, enjoyable experience. I’m excited to see how we do against Belgium… I hope we go for it and play the same squad.

Super thankful for the results this morning playing out as they did. I would’ve been sad if Mexico hadn’t made it after such strong play and Germany sneaking in with their poor play would’ve been a shame. Plus, I felt like Sweden had been hosed in multiple matches and am glad they made it through.

I’ve found VAR to be a good addition to the tournament. There was a lot of talk suggesting it was going to be a disaster, and FIFA didn’t really put anyone at ease about its implementation, but it’s definitely reduced the number of horrendous mistakes by refs who get overwhelmed by game situations in a frenetic environment. It’s been a great world cup for a neutral, so far.

Korea winning over Germany has been my highlight so far!

Round of predictions based on form in their 3 games so far

URU v POR
Uruguay will easily win

FRA v ARG
Neither will break through in 90’…France wins on PKs

BRA v MEX
Toughest to pick but expect Brasil to have a slight edge…might need extra time

BEL v JPN
I wouldnt be shocked if Japan stunned them. Referee will play a huge role. Still picking Belgium as winner

SPA v RUS
Spain wins in overtime

CRO v DEN
Croatia

SWE v SWI
Toss up but I choose Sweden

COL v ENG
I expect Colombia to win in regulation.

I went for Uruguay to win the tournament. I think it may be v England in the final. (As much as it pains this Scot to tip England).

URU v POR
Uruguay.

FRA v ARG
Too late for predicting.

BRA v MEX
Brazil. Well, because Brazil.

BEL v JPN
Belgium to win by 3, and step up their performances so far.

SPA v RUS
Spain by 2.

CRO v DEN
Denmark (but only coz I have them in the work sweep).

SWE v SWI
Sweden by 1.

COL v ENG
England buy odd goal in 3.

This England v Colombia game is incredibly embarrassing and would serve to confirm to soccer haters why they don’t like the sport. So much flopping and manufactured drama. :confused:

Yes, pretty pathetic sportsmanship on both sides.

One of my best friends has got me interested in hockey. Going to my first game in a couple weeks (Glasgow Clan). Have chosen to follow buffalo in the NHL. Being UK I have no affiliation to a team so decided to root for the underest of underdogs. Roll on the new seasons of EIHL and NHL.

huge hockey fan, even did some writing this season on one of the bigger Penguins blogs. my team is not quite an underdog, ha.

Buffalo should be good again in the next 2-4 years. they just got the best defensive prospect in a long time. have fun and feel free to ask any questions that come up.

They remind me of the Dallas Cowboys when Danny White etc retired and they began to build with Aikman/Smith etc (and similar recently with Dak/Zeke). Hoping for the same long term!!

:slight_smile: zion wright’s brilliant skate that won it in the final on saturday

Even when I’m rooting for the Cubs they manage to disappoint me. I had paid about $350 per ticket to see the Brewers play the Cubs in Chicago (if they had won). It was the only game I could’ve made it to and a friend from childhood was going to fly in from LA to see the game. I haven’t seen him in almost 20 years I think. We grew up going to games and listening to Bob Uecker call games on the radio in Wisconsin.

Not sure how I’m going to get a game now unless they keep winning and get to the NLCS or World Series.

Sad and venting. Would’ve been super cool to see an old friend as much as share in the experience of the game (and would’ve been my first time at Wrigley). :confused:

I am a huge Portland Trailblazers fan and I like going to MLS games as well (Timbers and Thorns).

NHL season is upon us!