Disquiet Junto Project 0256: Music in Place

This week’s Disquiet Junto project will be about recording music in place. This is a placeholder until the project goes live.

Record a short piece of music using the sounds around you.

Step 1: The goal of this project is to record a piece in place using only sounds from that place. Block out time, maybe an hour or so, and a place where you think you’d like to do the work. Also plan on portable equipment — laptop, iPad, OP-1, etc. — that would suit the endeavor.

Step 2: During the time planned in advance during Step 1, record sounds around you and shape them into an original piece of music, editing and processing as you see fit.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Per the instructions below, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0256” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this following discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, November 24, 2016, with a deadline of 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, November 28, 2016.

Length: The length is up to you, but three to four minutes sounds about right.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0256” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 256th weekly Disquiet Junto project — “Music in Place: Record a short piece of music using the sounds around you.” — at:

disquiet.com/0256/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Matthew Betts, used thanks to a Creative Commons license:

flic.kr/p/8feVqm

1 Like

It is Thursday evening UK time and I have the house to myself, my partner is out tonight but my restless son is in bed chatting to himself. In fitting with the challenge I recorded the sounds of the place where I live in quite a literal way. After I had put my son to bed I read the email from Marc but I had a few things to do - eating and a bit of cleaning - domestic stuff.
However I set up two basic Tascam recording devices and a smart phone which was also recording and put these in a few different places around the house. One was near to the speaker monitor which links to my sons room but the proximity of two electronic devices caused the static buzz that opens the track but anyway you can still clearly hear my three year old son chatting to himself. In other rooms I did a few other domestic things and I recorded these sounds; You can hear me loading the dishwasher, the clothes washing machine also features. In my music room I had earlier been playing a record so I played this again and it is audible from time to time - it was the interesting ‘Percussion Profiles’ LP on ECM from 1978 which I got recently for £2 in a second hand bookshop. I did a bit of cleaning, wiping the top of the kitchen units and then poured a glass of whisky and sat down to make the track. There is about 30 minutes of sound from the three sources but I only spent about 10 minutes seeking out the best bits - when you see a linear wave file you can ignore the silences and look for the ‘bumpy bits’ of interest. It turns out a lot of it was quiet so I had to really boast the levels in some places. I then started to edit these out. I put in various effects and looped some bits and slowed some bits down pushing them through resonators till you get some nice ambient tones. I played a few back into through midi keys and got something fairly musical in places. That was more or less it. I did a rough mix and master but it needs more work really. I think I will come back to this soon and develop these sounds.

6 Likes

happy thanksgiving
lotería, parc, aalto

4 Likes

When Marc’s email for the Junto this week arrived, I thought of the church bells that can be heard in Mountford Park.

My recording started after the Anglican church started ringing, then I swung the camera toward the Catholic church as it rang.

At home I used two instances of Iris 2 to create chords from each of the bells. There’s a bit more on my blog, mostly about other recordings I’ve made in Mountford Park.

8 Likes

hi, i love field recording.

https://soundcloud.com/kuromiya-hideyuki/mac-disquiet0256

6 Likes

fit bells and chord. fine day:)

2 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/lionel-benancie/dd92-disquiet-junto-project-0256

Un jardin près de la voie de chemin de fer
Utiliser uniquement les sons de l’enregistrement et ensuite vers un sampler
Et juste une basse cardiaque.

A garden near the railway
Use only the sounds of the recording and to a sampler
And just a low heart

5 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/suss-musik/misophonia-ii-disquiet0256

The door to the Suss Müsik studio leads to a wooden gate, behind which is a garden where birds of all types assemble. Occasionally we walk the path with a small box of birdseed and let the creatures fight it out. At one point, we counted as many as forty birds fluttering about the property.

In totally unrelated news, Suss Müsik has been reading about the pineal gland. This is the part of the vertebrate brain that splits the two haves of the thalamus joint and produces melatonin, the hormone that modulates circadian and seasonal sleep patterns.

The pineal gland is also known as “the third eye,” a term of metaphysical significance to those who pursue a higher spiritual consciousness. There is a theory that the pineal gland is the gateway through which we are able to communicate with non-human lifeforms. Suss Müsik wonders if the birds have a similar means of instinctual, non-verbal communication. But we digress.

This short piece is based on the same field recording that appears in Disquiet Junto Project 0249. In this instance, we dispensed with the hyperactive marimbas and slide guitars in favor of simply letting the birds have their say. The sound of distant machinery adds some color, as does the gently modulated bellow of a local commuter train. The final piece was treated with generous amounts of reverb and compression.

Suss Müsik echoes the sentiments conveyed by the organizer(s) of the Disquiet Junto. Much appreciation is extended to those who have welcomed and inspired Suss Müsik’s voyage into the audiophiliac astral plane.

3 Likes

cool sounds, dreamy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/project-dirigent/en-place-the-desk-disquiet0256

En Place “The Desk” [disquiet0256]

I sat “in place” at my desk and recorded the sounds of various objects around me: the spring on my desk lamp, some paper clips, a crumpled piece of paper, a rubber band and worked them into this track.

Recorded and played in Samplr. Edited with Audacity. Creative Commons license granted.

3 Likes

Again I found this a great exercise for me, pushing me to learn something new. I went to the rehearsal for the pieces in my composition class. Three (or four) of the pieces can be heard. After about 45 minutes I had to leave the room (since it was going to be locked). Then I walked for a couple of minutes and recorded the noisy people sounds heard in the second half of the piece. Then I sat down in the space beside the music room which is in the picture. There I edited and put stuff together for around an hour. I had a meeting after that so it was a bit of a hard deadline. I work more intensely and better under pressure so the time limit was good.

I used a zoom recorder and Abelton and headphones on my laptop. Normally I put sample into sampler, but this time I mostly put them in audio tracks. I think it led to a different result, and I’m glad I did that.

3 Likes

During the first bells there’s a passing car that’s looped, giving a rising and falling that I feel like a kettle drum. It continues throughout.

1 Like

Love how upbeat this sounds. Reminds me of Clifford Gilberto-style sped-up jazz.

1 Like

Love the bells. They sound like a music box with the machinations of the trains.

1 Like

It’s like my knuckles are turning white listening to this. Intense.

1 Like

Feels pretty chill. I like the sound like dog paws scrambling on tiles.

1 Like

Thanks! i am always dreamy…
:grinning:

2 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-diaz/notre-dames-dark-moment-disquiet0256

I live and work very close to Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. My studio and area is quite silent and un-interesting sound wise but boy, when the cathedral’s bells start to ring it is something that resonates in the tiny streets. Particularly on special catholic days where there’s a lot of bell-calling. That particular day earlier this year, can’t tell what was going on but it really sounded as Quasimodo went nuts. And it was a warm afternoon, many people and kids playing around the square by the cathedral and the river. Kids provided some light to that day, but when I frist opened the window and hear those bells going crazy I could imagine people living here on the dark years (middle age) and the sound and intensity was really sinister to me.
I took my lap top and made some recordings with a cheap stereo microphone. This is the first use for those tracks.
Field recording comes and goes mixed with some bells from my collection (real bells but pitch-shifted and compressed like hell) and a couple of synth tracks to make it more musical and more sinister.
This is a messy track really; hope it’s not too loaded.
Happy thanksgiving everybody, and Thank you!
dd

3 Likes

Hello,

As you already know, we don’t have a doorbell, but we have the best wake-up call in the world… it never fails to not go off! This morning/night I went up on the roof and recorded the Mosques performing the Azaan.
Later I started playing with the speed, stretch, left/right channels and put it all together. The beginning sounds like I heard it on the roof, but more to the end it sounds like wandering on Place Jemaa El-Fnaa(at least for me)

https://soundcloud.com/user-242143924/indoctrinatie-2disquiet0256

Thank you Marc… I had fun again with this one

Picture is 1 of the 5 Masjid in the direct neighborhood

3 Likes