Disquiet Junto Project 0278: MacConnel's Jingle

Disquiet Junto Project 0278: MacConnel’s Jingle
The Assignment: Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score.

Step 1: The image at the following URL is a photograph of Jingle, a 1980 work by the artist Kim MacConnel (b. 1946). The piece, which is approximately 8 feet wide and is made of acrylic on cotton, hangs at the Parrish Art Museum in the town of Watermill, New York, on the east end of Long Island.

disquiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/kimmacconneljingle.jpg

Step 2: Compose a short piece of music that interprets MacConnel’s Jingle as a graphically notated score.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If you hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0278″ (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, May 1, 2017. This project was posted in the mid-afternoon, California time, on Thursday, April 27, 2017.

Length: The length is entirely up to the participant.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0278″ in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 278th weekly Disquiet Junto project — “MacConnel’s Jingle: Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score” — at:

http://disquiet.com/0278/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

http://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0278-macconnels-jingle/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is a photo of Kim MacConnel’s Jingle, a 1980 work for acrylic on cotton, shot at the Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill, New York, on the east end of Long Island.

Okey doke, the project is now live.

https://soundcloud.com/user-208393504/maccolors-disquiet0278

looking at this i thought of the artwork from tranquility tapes releases, a jangly focused discordant blurred sound, i thought eurgh vaporwave (the statue) and how a dumb meme can seemingly spawn a whole genre these days, i saw the UN symbol in the top right and thought of integration and separation, and i thought about graphic notation as an artificial synaesthesia and then i was wondering if the perirhinal cortex was still implicated in synaesthetic/integrative cognitive fuctioning… TMI!

based on all this i went for experimental ambient, classical architecture so classical music samples (cello, viola, bass clarinet) jangly guitar fx echoes, all recorded in one take, emergent melodies to represent emergent cognition and integration, and that kind of hypnotic sense that fits with a looser more freeform notation

My intention was to use my new bass Shiver Me Timbers and the Junto this week led me to appropriate e.e.cummings’ poetry.

This single take was recorded using my Nikon D5100 and Rode VideoMic. I mastered the audio using Ozone 7 in Ableton Live.

You can read more about the recording here.

I’ll now add the video to Facebook.

The playlist is up and running:

That was super, like a Billy Childish song I’d never heard before.

http://hbrecordings.bandcamp.com/track/subscriber-hb687-disquiet0278
i have been thinking how to use bandcamp more better…
the picture is…
Thunder>>lady>>fireball?>>film>>horse, dog,monkey
i felt. so use sound fx files at first.
i used “taiko” to fireball part. it have similar mark.
then…

Hooo! cool bass its like Ron Carter!!

So the first green lightning reminds me of arps (three green lines) so I made two heights of a three note arp. The first pattern travels up and down between the two arp heights as the picture moves left to right. I might be looking at it sideways!

After, I have pads representing the lady on pink background. They’re meant to sound a bit ancient because she seems very wise in her years. So the pads play a bit.

The third stage is a back and forth between these apostrophes, and with the general chaos of flipping in the background, each apostrophe gives two notes (the duality of direction and color), and the chaos behind creates gating on both notes. They descend downward, flip flopping five times as the apostrophes do.

The next stage is two sets of three inward pointing squiggles in a circle with a rock-star hairdo, so obviously we’re using chords on a rock guitar VST. We repeat the amount of these circles, and since they are separated by thick lines, almost in a percussive way, we add percussion here.

Finally, animal doodles on a calming blue background scream more pads to me, a bedtime story of some sort.

OK GOODNIGHT

Hey All, The monkey part reminded me of the Curious George soundtrack I used to play for my son when he was a toddler. He is much bigger now but still only be beats me half the time in basketball but that will change soon enough. The telephone reminded me of this fantastic conversation that starts of the new Madlib album(excellent BTW)The Venus reminded me of the Venus song by a famous female artist whose name rhymes with Pork. I penciled in the triangle pattern and put the Jup-8 plug-in in.

Peace, Hugh

Kim MacConnel is considered to be part of an art movement known informally as Pattern and Decoration. A retrospective ArtNet piece describes how “P&D artists took both high and low images from global cultures … African and Indian fabrics, fur, feathers, sequins, Orientalist arabesques and floral patterns … and made a special point of incorporating into their work traditionally feminine materials and techniques.”

MacConnel’s work is like a visual quilt of cultural references, overlaid with kitsch imagery and bold chromatic selections. During the 1970’s, MacConnel’s work wasn’t taken seriously as art or even a style of painting. Although he would have likely resisted such comparisons, MacConnel does share some affinity with the Minimalist movement of the time. If there is such a genre as Post-Decorative Minimalism, this particular image is a prime example of it.

For this weird piece, Suss Müsic sought to invent post-decorative minimalist music. We transcribed the five panels of MacConnel’s painting into five “movements” of roughly equal length, inspired by the visual motifs presented in each section.

• Movement 1 = electronic tones and static rendered as angular sine waves, with three synth phrases overlapped to create two composite chords.

• Movement 2 = an attempt to compose a “classical” post-modern string piece, while envisioning Venus de Milo on the African Veldt.

• Movement 3 = the result of pushing a cheesy CR-78 drum pattern through a delayed fuzzbox, with Native American ceramic flute and synth pattern overlaid on top.

• Movement 4 = two polyrhythms for piano, wood blocks and organ played with binaural processing to match the pattern of a telephone cord.

• Movement 5 = a softly muted faux-African rhythm on marimba, accompanied by ghostly vocals and a brief blast of organ.

The piece is titled Appliqué in honor of MacConnel’s first solo exhibition, Collection Applied Design.

Kim MacConnel was a primary in the Pattern and Decoration art movement of the mid-1970s, which had an interest promoting trivialities as seen by Western culture, such as patterning. I wanted to offer this musically and while working on ideas it did not take long to get to a concept inspired by the work of Steve Reich.

The work is scored for percussion instruments, namely xylophone, vibraphone and harp and is available at http://bit.ly/2qgt4bR

Hello to all,
This weeks fun, video soon…https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/stomp-boxdisquiet0278
https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/stomp-boxdisquiet0278
https://youtu.be/An3S67kiFHE

Music - This week began with something simplistic and slightly annoying, a jack in the box. Started in Thor with a very modified Jakob Haq bell patch trying get that box sound. Threw in a field recording of a breaking stuff session and thus began the intro. The beats were made in Gadget Recife and London. Synths are Thor, Wolfsburg and Marseille. Bassline is a Miami patch with a bit of Chicago on top. Everything was brought into Cubasis for tweaking. And last but not least, some crazy pedal board guitar was added through the Steinberg UR-22 and then chopped and mangled with the rest for a noisy ode to something that probably doesn’t deserve such a tragic end :wink:

Video - Shot with a Bloggie, D7000, 100mm macro, 35mm and edited in iMovie.

Comments, likes and reposts always appreciated!

Hey Waz up Junto? Cool assignment Marc.Description on Soundcloud.

Later. Les

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/kloth-disquiet-0278

Five Improvisations on Kim MacConnel’s “Jingle” [disquiet0278]

Disquiet Junto Project 0278: MacConnel’s Jingle
The Assignment: Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score.

Five panels interpreted left to right. Created with a small modular synth. Recorded and edited with Audacity.

In a way this is a bit unfinished as it lacks the influence from the final section of the picture. To represent the first section excepting the drums I used all triangle waves, the second informed the style of the track which I went for Vaporwave. The third panel gave me the rythm of the kick and snare and the fourth implied four sections within the song. At first I had a hard time coming with anything so I had to change my interpretation. Created with Korg Gadget aside from a bit of touching up.