Disquiet Junto Project 0279: Word Interiorities

lovely sounds :slight_smile:
nice work!

https://soundcloud.com/geoffrey-waterman-76060124/fffffindinkkkkk-disquiet0279

I had a lot of ideas for what I wanted when I found this word, but I ended up going with something relaxing, because it’s Saturday and why not.

Chapter 3 and I rolled the word “forgetting” and promptly forgot what the other instructions were. In FL Studio, I recorded a quick bassline. Then I used auto generation based on existing parts to create new parts until it was too full. Mixed it and uploaded it. The original idea was that the fourth bar was always something purely improvisational. Could you tell? I’m forgetting something…

Ah yes, well I kept meaning to record the word but somehow it never made it.

Interesting idea… brilliant execution
loved the ending

The word chosen with a little help from a dice it’s “HOW”:

A little bit as Berio (insert shameless face here) in the piece “Thema - Omaggio a Joyce” I choose to use french, english and italian languages, speaking either by female and male voices.

“HOW”:
In italian it’s “come” or “quanto”,
In French it’s “comment” or “que”.

I sampled these words from female and male voices (thanks to iSpeech TTS app) into the OP-1 and then I made some experimentation.
I recorded the results into the combo AUM/AudioShare and added effects to the single voices.

Finally I used AUM as a looper and I play an impro with start/stop and volume faders.

…And a big thank you for let me know a great artist from my homeland!
(Berio was from Liguria as I am)

The peer pressure got to me. I’ve now remixed this track with the inclusion of a TTS sample “forgetting” doubling many instrumental tracks. It fits the theme much better now…

PS. Can remove the other track as this one is better suited to the theme Word Interiorities.

Here’s mine: https://soundcloud.com/plusch/first-disquiet0279

I used the dice method to arrive at my word, which was “first.” Then I recorded myself saying the word, sliced up that recording in Geist 2, and created some beats with the slices. The more pitched sounds were created by looping tiny sections within the slices. The piece begins with the unprocessed word.

I used the dice and came up with a chapter that wasn’t on the google link. So I went to a random page and took the 13th word, as my dice directed. Orchestra. I have been wanting to make a song with my breath, too. These are the 2 major elements to the song. Instead of chopping the word up, I felt a bit more John Duncan-ish and left it cleaner.

https://soundcloud.com/dascott/variation-disquiet0279

For this project I chose the word “variation” as spoken by me (no dice involved). I transformed the sounds in the word iin 3 ways. First, I broke it up into 7 sounds (smaller even than phonemes). These are then played back randomized and harmonized, but over the course of the piece, the order becomes less and less random, so by the fade-out, we hear the whole word repeated, build out of the 7 sounds, over and over. Second we hear a 75x time dilation of the entire word using a phase vocoder, again harmonized and now much higher in pitch. Lastly is a 30x harmonized dilation using linear predictive coding resynthesis, bringing out both the sounds of the vowels and also the pitch inflections in the original speech.
All processing was done using the RTcmix software toolkit.

Great beatboxing vibe here!

Caving in to peer pressure…:confounded:
jk - like this one much better

These are my doubts:

A number of different recordings of a single word (iPhone in various environments) were heavily processed using Audacity and AudioMulch, run through convolution reverbs using my own IRs.

My first plan for this project was to dust off a method I had used before: playing the word in a sampler with the sample length initially very short so we only hear the first sound, and then increasing the length so we eventually hear the word (a technique I used here www.juanmariasolare.com/CD_Sn.html), but applying it to vowels and consonants. But it just didn’t work with such small snippets.

So I tried out an idea which had been on my backburner, which was to recreate Brian Eno’s use of tape loops on Music for Airports. Eno used long loops of different lengths. I chopped up the word “becoming” into 7 pieces and set each snippet to loop at its own piece. Eventually they would synchronize again. I didn’t feel mathy enough to calculate when that would happen, so I panned each snippet at a different place in the stereo field and listened for when the whole word appeared and shot across my ears in a linear fashion.

When that happened, I strengthened the reemergence of the word “becoming” by doubling it with the original audio sample. To keep it from being stale, I added a slow-moving auto-filter set to “notch” to slowly sweep up and down the frequency spectrum, so it sounds a little different each time.

I also used the reemergence of the word “becoming” to be the start and endpoints of extreme time-stretching of the word. These are panned hard left and right - one is Warped using Ableton’s “beat” setting, the other one uses “Complex Pro.”

At the end, these extreme-time stretched words are compressed back to something like the original length of the word. They sound different from the original, as they should!

Some other studio trickery happened - I added a slow-moving notch filter on every instance of the word “becoming” to make it sound a little different every time. I also put a kick and snare compressor on the phased word snippets to give them the timbre of a drum beat. The final tweak was to make them disappear for a bit: classic drop!

Love your description of the process.

Disquiet [disquiet0279]

Disquiet Junto Project 0279: Word Interiorities
Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word.

A short voice improvisation on the word “disquiet”. Audio processed through Echophon and Clouds, modulated with a Wogglebug.

Recorded and edited with Audacity.

Oh, thank you for this, very much.

I started by recording the word “intergouvernementalisations” which is the longest French word, according to Wikipedia. I isolated 5 short sounds (less than 10 ms) to create a hi-hat, a snare, a bas drum, a bass and a lead sound.

I also fed the recording of the whole word into the Paul stretcher to make an ambiant background.

I used Expert Sleepers Crossfade Loop Synth to playback my short sounds as it has some interesting features to tweak playback.

Thanks! (with 20 characters)

Really, really interesting combination of techniques, and really great explanation!