Disquiet Junto Project 0281: Pattern Interruption

Disquiet Junto Project 0281: Pattern Interruption
Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations.

This week we’re exploring the interruptions of patterns. The project was proposed by Lin Mu. It is inspired by CRISPR, the prominent gene-editing technology. The word CRISPR stands for “clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats.”

Step 1: First, create a brief musical pattern of individual notes that will be looped. The pattern should be a palindrome in form — that is, its center-most point should serve as a mirror’s edge, so that its latter half repeats the first half, albeit in reverse.

Step 2: Create a piece of music in which that initial loop from Step 1 plays several times in a row. It should then continue to loop, but you should add notes in its midst as it proceeds. Some of these sounds might be added to the loop, thus breaking the palindrome form. Other introduced sounds might never repeat.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If you hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0281” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, May 22, 2017. This project was posted in the early afternoon, California time, on Thursday, May 18, 2017.

Length: The length is entirely up to the participant.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0281” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 281st weekly Disquiet Junto project — “Pattern Interruption: Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations” — at:

This week’s project was proposed by Lin Mu.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

Subscribe to project announcements here:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is from Wikipedia:

By James atmos – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7821536

The project is now live.

My palindromic 4 bar loop is shown in the image accompanying the Soundcloud track - I thought it (vaguely) looked like a spider seen from the front, hence the track title!

After a couple of repeats of the loop, I began to add in extra notes and kept the palindromic nature intact. About a third of the way through I began to add non-palindromic notes, and the second half of the track is a mirror image of the first half. The synth is a pretty straightforward sine-ish lead with just a dash of FX added.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else’s tracks for this week’s brief :slight_smile:

The project playlist is now live:

Waz up Junto, Started out with extended midi penciling the pattern in over 4 bars. Started cossfading in different sounds, found some cool sentence palindromes here www2.cs.arizona.edu/icon/oddsends/palinsen.htm

Later, Les

Before settling on an instrument, I knew I wanted to use a Soundgarden song, so the notes EBC were made into a palindrome as EBCCBE.

Then I considered using a delay to intersperse alterations, before remembering the gated effects chain that was already set up.

recorded some melodica and palindromed it
in ableton i had it looping with lots of oscillation and gradually different octaves coming through as well as different delays (pingpong, reverse, platter, ddly) with more and more feedback. i thought this would deal with the variation rather than actually playing different notes.
feedback cut down in the last minute
improvised and recorded in one take

image from www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/mmg_disp.jsp?med_id=73108

good morning my track:

The first thing I thought of was Bach’s Musical Offering with its palindrome score. However palindromes can occur in many places in music. The arrangement can be palindromic, the dynamics or tempo can be palindromic. Latin percussionist sometimes talk about “turning a beat around” which is changing from a 3-2 clave to a 2-3 clave. Even the individual notes can be palindromic in terms of waveform, spectrum or envelope.

For my tune I used a palindrome for the lyrics, a symmetrical arrangement, a palindromic chord progression, a sample played against it’s reversed form and a melody that is the same forwards and backwards.

The instruments used are acoustic, classical and electric guitars, a ukulele, a kalimba, bongos, a synthesizer and vocals.

Thanks for the project Marc, it really got me inspired and kept me busy all day!

To achieve this, I had a 5 note palindromic sequence in my Dark Time sequencer, with a few other notes between each of these that are initially skipped. Two other sequences of different lengths are also running, as well as a quantized random CV source (A-149). All of these sequences are run through the A-185 precision adder, so they can be turned on at will. This is sent to Ripples in self-oscillation, and also to BrainSeed for sampling and sending on to a ring-modulated pair of A-110 VCOs. The A-155 sequencer also plays the five note sequence throughout, on Tides, as well as providing triggers for some basic drum sounds. As the track plays, I add in additional notes to the Dark Time, gradually increasing it to a 16 note sequence. I then start to add in the extra sequencers, ending with the random voltages, so by the end this track has lost all resemblance to the original 5 notes - the mutation is complete.

A video will follow shortly… as soon as I can get YouTube to upload it!

This is pretty great. Right now, @ZeroMeaning is livestreaming the production of a track for this week’s Disquiet Junto:

It’s 7:30am in California as I type this, and the production has been going for about three hours straight.

My palindrome pattern goes A-E-B-A-B-E-A on a piano, then a second piano plays the same pattern but on half time and an octave higher.
Main piano starts adding notes here and there, keeping the repetitive thing going but breaking the monotone and palindrome aspect of it.
A Martin J15 guitar plays the same palindrome (double tracked L and R), and a second Martin (also double tracked L and R) plays the palindrome an octave higher.
Finally a third guitar part (always double tracked L and R) slams chords breaking the symmetry again. Then, that guitar plays a muted power chord 1/8th note riff and the palindrome is buried and forgotten, but not entirely gone.
At the end the palindrome implodes and breaks down.
I added an upright bass playing a single low La.
Recorded by DD on Friday 19 may 2017in Paris, France for junto 0281 challenge.

photo by dd (april 2017, fondation luis vuiton, paris)

Somewhat dull video of my track being made here:

I use only Bazille Uhe,
and a sample thunder for climax!
2 presets(lio) of Bazille on 6 tracks with cut-of work and pan + glitch-track.
Just impro in the last part, with 2 tracks for it, with same preset!
Bazille is good, i re-discovery it! Zero Fx and no “traitement” ! Thank’s Disquiet! And Reaper So! :slight_smile:

This is one of those ideas that came in fits and starts, where each attempt resulted in things quickly turning to mush. I finally realized that it needed to be a single line to allow one to follow what was going on. This piece is a bit longer than my other works but that length is necessary to allow things to play out.

The initial palindrome progressively has notes added to the row until it is filled, then notes are continuously removed by lengthening others, eventually returning to the original row.

The piece is scored for piano, though if brave performers can be found then it could be adapted for pretty much any instrumental duo.

The score is available at http://bit.ly/2r0Ww6l

The first tomatoes harvested for food were considered fatal to wealthy diners but harmless to the poor. This had everything to do with chemistry, not economics. During the 1500’s, the tomato’s acidity would interact with pewter flatware commonly used by the rich, who upon ingesting would soon die of lead poisoning. Poor people ate off plates made of wood and thus had no problems.

Today’s tomatoes are the result of thousands of years of genetic sculpting. In the 1950’s, researchers discovered a wild strain of plant where the tomato stayed longer on the vine due to a thicker “joint” holding the fruit to the stem. When crossed into existing breeds, however, the outcomes were disastrous: too many flowers, not enough fruit.

After screening 4,193 varieties of tomato plants, a team of genetic researchers led by Zachary Lippman have recently discovered how to engineer more productive crops through CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing. By minimizing the gene that bears flowers and strengthening a modified joint that can hold heavier fruit, it is hoped that tomato farmers will soon have better and more predictable yields.

This is the method by which Suss Müsik created this piece for three pianos. It opens with a seven-note palindromic sequence, interspersed by two patterns of chords played with two separate “joints” — one “thick” and one “thin” to reflect changes in meter. (It made sense at the time). The opening loop is interrupted by another palindrome about halfway through, slowly dropping notes the way a tomato falls off the vine. A lightly bowed electric guitar adds a bit of color.

Suss Müsik admits to being inspired (and a bit intimidated) by the wonderful red ips spider by earthborn visions, a lovely composition in which loops seem to organically flow into each other. A real gem.

The piece is titled Inflorescences, named after the process by which flowers form on branches.

I started with a simple synth line, then adding a few notes here and there as I went. Brought in a little verb and delay part way in to add some textural interest. And as you might be able to tell from the waveform image, half way through i went meta :slight_smile:
I used an arpeggiator to get the repeated notes. An unexpected aspect of that is the arpeggiator seems to randomly interfere with the release envelope on some notes and not others. I liked it so i kept it. The approach to the initial melodic palindrome was to make an exact mirror in the step sequence editor - hence the slight rhythmic offset in the 2nd half of each loop. The 1st half is on the beat, but if you graphically mirror that exactly in the editor, the 2nd half will be slightly late.
Gear - all in the box on this one, as I am getting my new Surface Pro set up - thought this would be a good exercise for it. Ableton Live, Arturia Jup-8, Valhalla Shimmer and Room, EchoBoy, Fabfilter Saturn. And Reaper to assemble the 2 halves.

Cheers all, this weeks noise…https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/evildidlivedisquiet0281
Made a short 2 bar pattern then mirrored it for 4 bar total. Stacked three synths, Chiangmai, Berlin, Kiev and a matching Recife percussion pattern. Bounced this, brought it into Paulstretch and then exported back into Cubasis where one instance was left stretched and another was shortened with stretch in Cubasis. To add a taste of my last weeks experience I brought in a field recording from the video of the massive hailstorm that hit here Monday :-/ Did a bunch of eq work and gated the hail for a nice natural randomization. Added some spacial effects and a little Roomworks verb to finish it off. Nice and dark, just like the skies of late!

cool sounds, cool video :slight_smile: