Disquiet Junto Project 0283: Rooms Within Rooms

Disquiet Junto Project 0283: Rooms Within Rooms
Make an instrumental song built from the sounds of different rooms.

Step 1: Record the inherent sound, the room tone, of three different rooms. Label them A, B, and C.

Step 2: Create three distinct ambient beds from the rooms by editing the source material down. Label the ambient beds A, B, and C to align them with the source rooms. Don’t add any other effects or sonic material.

Step 3: Create a loose song structure alternating two of the rooms as verse (bed A) and chorus (bed B), and dropping in the third room (bed C) as a bridge at some point. The full piece should be about three minutes long.

Step 4: Go back into the audio and into each bed add tiny elements from the other source rooms. In other words, in the verse (bed A, based on room A), insert elements from room B and room C. Do this as well for bed B (with elements from room A and room C) and bed C (with elements from room A and B).

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If you hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0283” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, June 5, 2017. This project was posted in the early evening, California time, on Thursday, June 1, 2017.

Length: The length is entirely up to the participant, though roughly three minutes is suggested.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0283” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 283rd weekly Disquiet Junto project — “Rooms Within Rooms: Make an instrumental song built from the sounds of different rooms” — at:

https://disquiet.com/0283/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

http://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0283-rooms-within-rooms/?source_topic_id=8030

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image by Shengming Lee, used thanks to a Creative Commons license:

creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The project is now live. It went out to the email list earlier this evening.

Three rooms, one captive!
Room A Plague Bearer Quad fed by Flame Clockwork
Room B Electro Harmonix RTG running
Room D Ibanez Baritone
Three minutes lonelyness…

I’ll be livestreaming this project over on https://www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning. Starting in just a few minutes!

Used my Rode NT4 with FMR RNP and MOTU Traveler, then EQ’d and looped parts in Ableton Live.

You can hear the hum of the Rice Coop, the fireplace and the galahs in the nearby park were restless.

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

Three samples were chosen from across time.

The first was a recording made in 2008 in a crawlspace beneath a building. This space was eerie, eliciting feelings somewhere between meditative serenity and primal terror.

The second was recorded in 2014 in my attic. The constant sound of water being pulled from a tank is amplified by the space’s wooden acoustics.

The third is the most recent, having been recorded in 2015 in my local shopping centre. It’s of a bizarre electrical hum that I could not place.

These elements were not manipulated whatsoever aside from some light EQ and volume envelopes and were arranged as per the instructions in the assignment.

This project was fairly tough, as the samples had to be used ‘as-is’ with no effects.

The playlist is now live:

One of the most famous quotes by the existentialist Jean-Paul Sartre is “Hell is other people.” That sentence concludes his play Huis Clos, written in 1943, in which three characters arrive in a room they believe to be Hell. The paradox is that in order to prove one’s existence, each character must transform the others into objects.

Rooms often take on the ambience of those who inhabit them. Sartre describes shame as an acknowledgement that we see ourselves as the objects that other people imagine us to be. “My original sin is the existence of the other,” he wrote. Rooms contain objects that dampen or accentuate sound, but then again people can serve the same auditory function. Screaming in a crowded room is a very different sonic experience than, say, screaming at the bathroom mirror by yourself. You’ll have to trust that Suss Müsik has deep knowledge of both these conditions.

For this piece, Suss Müsik recorded the following: (A) an empty room in the Northeast US; (B) a large hall in Canada where people came in and out; and © a very crowded lobby in Texas. Each room had various sonic properties that dictated their ambience, both human and machine. The pieces were sliced and arranged with no manipulation, other than a bit of EQ and panning to push the dynamic range a bit.

The piece is titled Koinoniphobia, named after the fear of rooms full of people. The image was taken at the Antoni Gaudí House in Barcelona.

this was a hard one because of the lack of processing, so I wound up playing the A sample at two different speeds (C/B).

Room A: Hospital Waiting Room, with ‘machine’ talking about the underlying tone
Room B: a Pharmacy
Room C: In the car going from A to B

Room 1: outside the elevator
Room 2: in elevator
Room 3: garage

recorded on my phone as video, edited in ableton live–I created clips from the best bits and put them in session view, set up a couple scenes. No effects except a limiter on the master, mods to the clips were volume, timing/warp, cuts/repeats.

BTW if you want to use your phone’s video recorder for audio, you can export it as audio only from iPhoto and drop it into your DAW.

http://hbrecordings.bandcamp.com/track/beats-within-beats-disquiet0283
A.my studio. rec by blue en core 200.while i was listening the following vimeo.
https://www.hongzhao.org
B.sample file.office sound.flip it then mute the sounds of loud keyboard.
C.sample file.house sound.

rendered it in 8bit. pitch down in ableton. then layered with original.
thank you very much for listening.

nice. percussion is like some budda bells. underground sound.

sooo sick vox cuts!
cinematic sound.

quartz? clock? …oh you use key

@disquiet: language question, what exactly do you mean by “ambient beds”?

Hi. An ambient bed would be the underlying, backgroundy tonal foundation of a track. Here, though, we as very little to it.

i used the sound of the fishtank humming in the lounge
the sound of the cutlery draw in the kitchen
the sound of birds in the garden

protoplasm, ambience 0.1, ddly, podfarm were used to make the hum more musical. had automation on the fades so the birds, cutlery, hum were going in and out at different times. the fading in and out was pretty random so luckily there’s points where each sound is alone.

Thanks for the exaplanation!

Hello Juntonians,
https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/syclabsdisquiet0283
Syclabs(disquiet0283) https://soundcloud.com/user-651760074/syclabsdisquiet0283
Had no idea what to do with this weeks prompt, but started field recordings at work in an attempt to find some interesting room sounds. Of course I didn’t have a patch cord for my Zoom :-/ and with no easy way to transfer recordings to the pad, I ended up using the built in mic. I made a continuous 25 minute recording into Audioshare while i went about my business, hoping to get some hidden gem somewhere. In the end 4 rooms where used; 2 labs, 1VFD fan room and a lobby/stairwell. The stairwell intro leads into the 1st verse which is a section in the lobby. The chorus is a repeating section from lab 1. As the noise progresses, little samples are added to the repeating verse and chorus. The bridge uses the VFD fan room as its foundation but again with little samples taken from the other rooms sprinkled about. I just about wrote this off last night, it was just too dry and dull. But then the stairwell footsteps gave me rhythmic inspiration, so I built on that with a deep kick from Patterning and found some tension! And while mixing track volumes and panning this morning, the gem appeared…a random stair climber was hidden in the recording. Since my recording was unattended at times, and this was an under breath comment, I only found it after tweaking track volumes. Now there was drama and tension :wink: This whole mess was edited in Cubasis using only kick and track compression and a very, very light reverb on the finished track for cohesion.
My Videos- www.youtube.com/channel/UCc_iQ5JFusPt9EIwKIZ5rew

Totally. It’s funny you asked about “beds” because there’s a project coming up later this summer (well, summer in my hemisphere) about “pads.” They’re sort of related, beds and pads.