This one was a pleasure to work on, and all the different approaches have been great to hear.
Here’s some notes on what I did…
After listening to the original recording I really wanted to use the entire thing in my piece and manipulate it very minimally. The tone of the bells is beautiful, and I wanted to preserve the spirit of it while giving it a new form.
I imported the whole recording into Logic and cut a piece for an intro and a piece for the ending. After that I cut the rest of the recording into equal pieces, without regard for the audio content. These pieces are about 3.5 minutes in length.
I then moved each slice to it’s own track and added a fade in on each track, making each subsequent fade slight longer than the ones before it. Each snippet of the recording fades in at a different speed, creating a slow build.
Each track was then panned to a different stereo position, creating a dynamic stereo field from the original two track recording.
The short intro slice was looped and left playing throughout, as a subtle rhythmic pulse.
The ending snippet was cut down slightly to create a rhythm of chimes to close the piece.