Disquiet Junto Project 0287: Digital Pause Tape

Disquiet Junto Project 0287: Digital Pause Tape
Make a track using only cut and paste.

Step 1: You’re going to make a piece of music using only cut and paste. By “only cut,” this means any sound in your finished piece of music must have been sourced from one or more pre-existing recordings. As for “only paste,” this means no other effects will be employed (with the exception of adjusting volume). Please note: In the finished work, no two source items should be heard at the exact same time. In other words, there will be no layering of the source audio.

Step 2: Choose sufficient source material based on the requirements set out in Step 1. You may choose to just use two or three elements, or myriad little pieces, or anything in between.

Step 3. Create a piece of music based on the source material from Step 1 utilizing the plan set out in Step 1.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0287” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, July 3, 2017. This project was posted in the early evening, California time, on Thursday, June 29, 2017.

Length: The length is entirely up to the participant, though roughly three minutes is suggested.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0287” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 287th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Digital Pause Tape: Make a track using only cut and paste — at:

https://disquiet.com/0287/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

http://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0287-digital-pause-tape/?source_topic_id=8383

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Flickr member Scott Schiller, used thanks to a Creative Commons license:

creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

The project is now live.

Hey All, I used a recent track(Detritus-tabu3 – Jam-from-97), though it says 97 it was really a few days ago. I took a section and sliced to midi. Then put some arp midi file clips and launched them at a high bpm. I think this meets the challenge because this slices stay the same they are just being triggered for different amounts of time according to bpm and the arps don’t play 2 notes at the same time. The resulting track was then put against the original unwarped and cross fading between the two. This is the result of that.

https://soundcloud.com/detritus-tabu3/jam-from-97

Peace, Hugh

Hi, I chopped a recent track (‘the fault is in ourselves’) into 1, 2, 3 and 4 bar loops, numbered them and then reassembled these loops using a random number generator. The original track used an old news commentary from Ed Murrow and was pretty glitchy already, so this ‘cut & paste’ remix doesn’t actually sound that much different to my original version! :frowning:

https://soundcloud.com/user-812536319/the-fault-is-in-ourselves-cut-paste-remix-disquiet0287

The only processing used on this remix was adding a small amount of tape saturation and applying a fade in / out.

If you’re interested, here’s the original track:

https://soundcloud.com/earthborn_visions/the-fault-is-in-ourselves

Hello all,

My first Junto after a nice, long holiday…

I used pieces from an interview with Mr. Bowie + one with Mr. Burroughs and further, I cut up a poem by Mr. Bukowski and used snippets of Public Image Limited & Nouvelle Vague. And I broke the rules a little… there supposed to be no layering, but I used “97 + 17” from Detritus Tabu III, stretched his song a little, till it was the same length as my cut-ups, est voila… a new song is born

Feels good to be back,

Frank

.recorded the first track off this cassette https://naviarrecords.bandcamp.com/album/saline-celestial using a walkman connected to pc
.played it in vlc cutting between various portions
.recorded in audacity, took out all the microscopic silences from the cuts manually…trying to find them pesky zero crossings
.cheated a bit and did some de-clicking in audition!

original track here https://soundcloud.com/naviar-records/sevenism-deserted-nr001?in=naviar-records/sets/sevenism-saline-celestial

thx @disquiet :slight_smile:

cut and paste tracks from the 'neptune ep

nice work :slight_smile:
poetic sounds

The playlist is now rolling:

three very short snippets from a series of urban field recordings; I really hate these ‘no processing’ assignments :grin:

This is my cut ‘n chop happening.

I took two wonderful pieces from two of our very talented Juntonians,
WURST’s
Watching the clouds from above — disquiet0286
And SUSS MUSIC’s
Dingdong [Disquiet0253]
I used the traditional CUT/PASTE technique to grab fragments I liked from both.
Then I added a melodica jamming just to be part of the party. So the rules are broken again (shoot me!), but I couldn’t help joining this proto-fake-calypso celebration.
Then I accentuated the challenge’s idea of pause as a stop-sound device and I cutted savagelly both tracks, sometimes rhythmically, some others randomly.
This is what you get
0:00 Suss Müsik
0:15 Würst joins with some stabs, I cut Suss Müsik when ürst plays to avoid overlapping
0:21 Melodica joins
0:31 Würst cut-pasted-loop takes the lead
1:50 Suss Müsik is back
2:06 Würst new loop
2:23 Happy Ending

it’s the last time I participate to such a castrating assignment. No processing?, I mean what?!..is this 1490 or something?
:wink:
Nice piece BTW

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

Every track I created for Disquiet Junto so far (0281-0286) was taken, then cut to ribbons and reassembled to make this track. As per the assignment, the source audio was not edited in any way aside from cutting, pasting, and light volume tweaks.

The lack of processing and especially layering made this project challenging to get into…

Frenz Fallout

I decided to grab two tracks of my own work, one from my first album, and another from my current in-progress album. To make the choosing easier I limited the choice to tracks that had the same BPM. (I had considered the fun of using contrasting BPMs but the I would be ponder over all sorts of other things far too long.)

I opted for “Bad Frenz” from my current album (Dance Noise), and “Fallout Culture” from the album Maximum R&D.

But that track is a bit short (and dense), so I also grabbed “Fallout Culture (Sullen Mutant Mix)” since it was longer and had more variety.

I loaded up the wav files into Reaper and extracted a few sections from each source piece as samples. I loaded these into Renoise. I have been recently working on a Renoise tool called “SwapChop” that helps automate instant volume changes among Renoise note columns. The tool makes it easy to experiment with different values (and hence different rhythmic effects) . It’s used quite a bit on “Bad Frenz”.

So, in Renoise, I had a single track with two note columns, and I entered samples in these columns, which SwapChop then helped cross-mix. There’s only one sample playing at any time. The only effects I used are a small amount of reverb and some compression to help pull it together.

I started off with the idea of gradually morphing from one source song to another, but after a bit I tended to latch onto whatever sounded best. I got, I think, some interesting stuttering beats by place notes off-beat for brief sections while swapping samples back and forth. It’s certainly given me ideas to explore further.

While I had a number of samples that were more melodic (albeit noisy melodic), I found that they didn’t work as well for me as the did samples that were mostly rhythmic or droning.

For this week’s project I used four tracks as source material:

Grand Banks Live 4-20-17 https://grand-banks.bandcamp.com/album/grand-banks-live-4-20-2017

John Lindaman, Black Gold https://johnlindaman.bandcamp.com/album/black-gold

Deral Fenderson, Pigaholics in the Tubanonymous March https://fendersonia.bandcamp.com/album/echoes-of-a-new-age-dawning-13th-anniversary-edition

Happy Flowers, live version of Mull of Kintyre from some radio show we did a long time ago

I tried to create something kind of atmospheric but rhythmic but it came out different than I expected-at one point, John and Grand Banks are dueling, and then there’s something about pirates.

Thank you.

:laughing: Actually it’s quite refreshing to be limited like that occasionally, as I think that I tend to rely way too much on processing in a lot of my stuff. On my latest soon to be released album “Stunde Null” I have gotten away from heavily processed sound.

I believe in synchronicity, so I took some tracks I had just rediscovered after having considered them lost for a long time when I got the mail for this week´s task. I cut out sections from this tracks and puzzled them together. Sound quality is not very good, unfortunately, but at the time I did not know any better. I am always struggling with English, and I always hope I understand well enough to comply to the task

long to time no see. i’m glad to be back once more…

this is ¶radio hummingbird’s contribution to this week’s disquiet junto with the serial number 0287. in short, the requirement for this contribution was to record a piece of music which consists only of cut up pieces of one or more previous pieces of music.

this piece has been created using a little eurorack travel synth to create the original source file. afterwards, this 12 minutes long piece has been attacked as if it would have been recorded on real tape (i actually considered doing this but, unfortunately, time constraints made me decide otherwise): i randomly cut down the content to about 1/4 of its original length. one cut at a time at random lengths. afterwards I cut out a large number of random pieces and put them aside to only insert them at random places within the remaining piece. and lastly, i cut random pieces out of this preliminary version and moved them randomly through the song to place them at different locations. all i added was a fade at the beginning and the end and normalised the levels. that’s all.

this is actually my second piece for this assignment. the first version i produced last night consisted only of cut up field recordings from the last year. however, i decided that it would need a significant amount of tuning to make it into what i would envisioned it to sound and therefore i put this little project on hold for now. maybe i will have time revive it later…

happy listening.

Of course I agree, limitations are a great fuel for true creativity. I often impose hard “rules” to myself…
That’s what I like about this challenges, rules, sometimes arbitrary, can be the real spark to fire a nice creative morning.
But “no processing” combined to “previously existent material” was real hard for me! lol

hehe. that’s interesting. personally i do not like processing at all. feels a bit like cheating. raw live sounds is what makes me happy (admittedly not necessarily on an album though)……