Disquiet Junto Project 0297: Domestic Chorus

5986573393_c4e624ee37_z

Disquiet Junto Project 0297: Domestic Chorus
Make music from all the alarms, buzzer, and other alerts in your home.

Step 1: You’ll be making a sonic portrait of where you live, using only the sounds that are made by the domestic appliances in your home: your doorbell, your alarms, the alert on your dish washer or clothes dryer, should you have them, and so forth. Chart the sonic landscape of your home.

Step 2: Record samples of all the sounds that you listed in Step 1. Don’t be surprised if in the process of recording these sounds you think of additional sound sources in your home. Just add them to the list, and record them as well.

Step 3: Imagine a mood for your home: relaxed on a weekend morning, elated during a party, frenzied when its inhabitants’ calendars collide, mischievous when none of those inhabitants are present, etc.

Step 4: Record a short piece of music that (A) matches the mood in Step 3, (B) utilizes all the samples your recorded in Step 2, and (2) changes those sampes as little as possible in the process.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0297” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this following discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, September 11, 2017. This project was posted around noon, California time, on Thursday, September 7, 2017.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0297” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 297th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Domestic Chorus: Make music from all the alarms, buzzers, and other alerts in your home — at:

https://disquiet.com/0297/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

http://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0297-domestic-chorus/?source_topic_id=9139

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image used thanks to a Creative Commons license by Flickr user Ethan.

flic.kr/p/a81KGD

The project is now live.

https://soundcloud.com/user-208393504/home-sweet-home-disquiet0297

Back after a 2-week break…
samples include coffee grinder, microwave, intercom, refrigerator, air conditioner, me dropping things
minimal processing - just a bit of stereo-expansion & delay

I’m on my own personal spaceship orbiting the Earth. I have a lot of time on my hands as my only job is to look after the Captain. So I’ve been playing with some of the alarms on the flight deck.
It’s all quite chilled up here. I think I can see Marc’s house, or it may be Buckingham Palace.
Anyway, must go, I think one of those alarms was to remind me to feed the monkey. Sorry, I mean the Captain.

Sorry I strayed far from the rules, it must be something to do with the oxygen mix we are breathing. Anyway, all the sounds are actual alarms (oven, smoke alarm, C02 alarm, microwave, alarm clock, tumble drier and Alexa), it’s just that they may not have sounded like that originally and I’m not sure I should be using a tumble drier up here anyway.

Hey All, Hope you are safe from the storms. David Lynch one of the founding father’s of the electrical hum drum drone. I did nothing beside looping and mastering (and masturbating but that’s another story and not really important info pertaining to this track- or is it all about the masturbating?)(strokes chin)

Peace, Hugh

Hi all,

I did the same as Hugh, except for the looping and the mastering.

My wife is on a short trip, so I am the boss over the remote control for the television. I zapped and recorded little pieces of every channel(nothing on), cut in little pieces and looped them. It’s a little bit longer as usual, sorry.

Have a great day

-if you want to hear this you’ll need to amplify about 40db-

at the moment i’m not using an alarm and i’ve disabled most of the notifications on my phone. need some peace.

music is made from the alarm on my phone then i made it near silent.

The head exploding project lands,

Kohnarm Destruct (disquiet0297)
A very condensed chronological record of the alerts, alarms and signals that try to infest the abode. Most are usually deactivated, some defy restraint and a very select few are not entirely unpleasant. The recordings were made with the Zoom mic and brought into Ocenaudio for a trimming. The pause or silence between tones was removed for a more frantic feel. While recording the microwave, a wonderful sound appeared. Previously unheard, it seemed like a sort of electrical warning from the microwave to the Zoom, proclaiming “Come any closer and I WILL scramble your logic!” Even at a safe distance, the tension was real, but complimentary, with the left channel’s low hum anchoring the rattling buzz of the right. Most of these sounds are familiar to the point of boring annoyance, but one is full of life. I added a little Cable Guys Pancake for some additional edge, but I don’t think it hides the smell of the original sounds too much :wink: See if you can match the out of order sounds:
microwave
washer
car alarm
radio alarm
alarm clock
oven
kitchen timer
clothes dryer
dishwasher
iphone alarm
phone
Thought about making some sort of extended late night dance mix, but these sounds got on my last nerve while trying. There are some things too broke to fix and too ugly to improve :-/

My first thought was to record the squeaky bathroom door but it seems to have stopped squeaking.

Then I lost my internet connection and didn’t refer back to the Junto directions before I began.

So last night when I noticed that I had a remarkable sandwich on my desktop, I thought I’d make a track from the sounds of supper.

The result is a domestic portrait that reveals how my partner and I spend the days we have at home while our kids are at school.

All sounds made from the sandwich-making, with gates used to focus on the transients and a resonator and a Sinevibes effect on a loop each around halfway through.

Some more comments on my blog. Uploaded via the free wi-fi in town.

The soundtrack at home right now is chaos, workers breaking everything, sanding, piercing, sawing, hammering, major works being done, noise is in the air. Very difficult to work, I could sample the hammers and saw noises I hear all day long but don’t have the nerve.
Instead here I am bringing form my vaults an old track I recorded for a suite called “clockworks” (publisher’s call) where I recorded and sampled as many clocks and metronomes as I could find at home, travelling around, at my parents house, at friend’s places, etc
Then I put together 3 tracks with metronomes and analogue “mechanical” alarm clocks, digital alarm clocks and carillons The first track from that triptych was shared with you on junto 267.
This is the digital one, Maelzel metronomes and digital alarms all over the place, on top of it I play a melody on a keyboard using one of the clock’s samples

There are so many alarms and beeps that disrupt our lives, so I chose one of those days when everything is calling for attention at the same time. Adding to the harassment, every recording I make in the house has a ticking clock underneath it (courtesy of a loud 1780s grandfather clock). Thankfully, these days are rare!

Sources: Fridge unlock / lock tones, Microwave, Roomba, oven beeps, text message notification (a sound I made myself about 15 years ago!), doorbell.

Suss Müsik recorded household sounds whose primary functions are to help us remember something: an alarm clock reminds us that it’s time to wake up; a beep on the refrigerator tells us that the door has been left open; a laundry buzzer indicates that our clothes need to be removed from the dryer. In the meantime, the soothing hum of an air purifier reminds us that we are surrounded by dust mites (a fact of science we would be more than happy to forget).

Existentialist literature considers forgetfulness to be an essential attribute of the human condition. In The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Milan Kundera describes characters for whom “space is an obstacle to progress.” The Danish philosophy Søren Kierkegaard once noted that “the most painful state of being is remembering the future, particularly the one you’ll never have.” Jean-Paul Sartre sang, “Ha! to forget. How childish! How can you keep yourself from existing?” And Charles Bukowski advises us to never forget anything, ever, because “There is always somebody or something waiting for you.”

For this weird and creepy piece, Suss Müsik composed a library from the domestic sounds of everyday forgetting. You’ll hear the items already described, plus amplified room noise and the thump of a refrigerator door closing. The sounds were assembled rhythmically with minimal treatment, except for some light sampling of the dryer buzzer (resembling an oboe or bassoon) which was randomly played with an EWI device.

The piece is titled Destinesia, an urban slang term describing an instance in which one forgets the purpose of a journey upon reaching their destination. The image is an architect’s compass.

Just a wake up alarm and preparing my tea in the morning

Am I the only one slightly saddened by the universally homogeneous sounds of everyday items? I always hoped that someone in some distant land was enjoying a musical cornucopia of alerts that suited their wonderful surroundings. Like the way car horns, telephones and alarm clocks gave a sense of place or region. Unfortunately that seems a thing of the past :frowning:

Agreed. Related note: this article may be of interest: https://www.fastcodesign.com/1671333/ges-new-emphasis-in-appliances-sound-design.

The playlist is now live:

I definitely agree the sounds in my home are far less diverse than I might have imagined they’d be. That said, the slight discrepancies intrigue me. We have a small kitchen timer and I’ve used it for years. Only recently did I noticed that its three alarms have slightly different sounds. This makes sense, and knowing it has changed the way I use the device, but for years I just heard all three as beeps in the generic sense.

Interesting piece, nice to see an evolution instead of revolution. No need to change the ascending/descending natural feel of on/off, but evolving with a different palette makes an intriguing and attainable approach. Interestingly enough, one of the least obnoxious sounds in my mix is in fact a GE dishwasher🤔 Thanks for the link!

I love that the head of the sound design initiative at GE is called BINGham :slight_smile: Nominative determinism works in subtle ways…