Disquiet Junto Project 0298: Dungeons & Drum Machines

Disquiet Junto Project 0298: Dungeons & Drum Machines
Make a track with two rolls of a 20-sided die.

Major thanks to Jason Wehmhoener for initiating this project, and for plotting it with me.

Step 1: Download the chart at this URL: https://goo.gl/Gew88N

Step 2: Note that there are two columns: one for melodic segments, another for rhythmic segments.

Step 3: Roll a 20-sided die once to be assigned a series of pitches. Roll the die again once to be assigned a series of beats.

Step 4: You will play each pitch for the duration represented by the corresponding beat. When you run out of beats or pitches, you wrap around to the beginning. In this way, while both pitches and beats are looping, the phrase itself takes longer to repeat.

Step 5: Use the result of Step 4 as the foundation for a track. This might mean one of several things. (A) This might mean employing it as an underlying foundation and improvising on top of it. (B) This might mean using it for part of a track, and alternating it with other material. © This might mean combining a programmed and live rendition atop each other. (D) This might mean inserting slight variations to introduce phasing and patterning. (E) This might even simply mean letting it play for awhile unto itself. (E) Or you might have some other take on it.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0298” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this following discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, September 18, 2017. This project was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, September 14, 2017.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0298" in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 298th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Dungeons & Drum Machines: Make a track with two rolls of a 20-sided die — at:

Major thanks to Jason Wehmhoener for initiating this project, and for co-plotting it.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

Subscribe to project announcements here:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image used thanks to a Creative Commons license by Flickr user Konstantin Lazorkin:

Already like the acronym D&Dm, although finding my die could take some time :wink:

And the project is now live. Major thanks to @jasonw22 for having initiated this one.

Is using http://www.roll-dice-online.com/ ok. My d20 days are behind me!

Of course! Any way of choosing a random number between 1-20 is fine.

Save time hunting with this: http://www.roll-dice-online.com/ :slight_smile:

Apologies, didn’t realize you had already posted this URL :slight_smile:

Thanks, but since I’m both lazy and impatient, I remembered AppBox on my pad has a random number generator…so now I just have to finish everything else so I can get started :unamused:

Brilliant idea @jasonw22! Can’t wait to get stuck into this.

edit: I’m using this site as a helper, might be useful if anyone has a similar approach, https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

Hey All, I got 10 and 18 when rolling my 20 sided die made of genuine orc’s tooth. I just penciled it in going each beat a 1/32 note which ended up making the tempo in 5 something(I dunno). I searched Dragon and came across this poem( www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazi…tentId=17633 ). I am sure to folks way back in the past usually had little warning of an approaching storm and gave the credit for all the damage to powerful creatures and gods. Nowadays we have science to explain what is happening and warnings can be given. At least we have science for a little bit longer I hope.

Peace, Hugh

I rolled a 6 (melody) and 4 (rhythm)! I had a grand piano playing the melody but that sounded kind of boring, so I added some drums (sampled from the intro to “Living After Midnight” by Judas Priest).

Still sort of boring so I thought to put on some guitar, but to make it more interesting I tuned it to the notes in my randomly-drawn melody (ABCD) and put pink stickers on the notes in that four-note scale (see the picture). Chance the Dog came in for the final mastering process :slight_smile: .

Then to make things a bit more odd sounding I did a bunch of cut and paste with the notes in the melody and drum track, just to thicken things up a bit, and overlaid some alternately rhythmic and soothing guitar.

Up next, some lead guitar, a Floyd Rose Discovery guitar through a Fuzz Factory into a Smokey cigarette-pack amp, close miked with some delay added in the DAW (Ableton live).

and on the outro, went to half-speed, and overdubbed a little mandolin. (Idea given to me a while ago by my 13 y.o. daughter–mix in some unexpected sounds)

All the above were created as clips in Ableton Live and then triggered from Push for the initial recording, then lightly edited, with compression, eq and a little reverb here and there.

More on this 298th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Dungeons & Drum Machines: Make a track with two rolls of a 20-sided die — at:

Major thanks to Jason Wehmhoener for initiating this project, and for co-plotting it.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

Subscribe to project announcements here:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

No worries. First die rolling site I found haha!

Very quick and dirty, only had an hour today. I threw a 17 and an 18. Used the same pattern for each track, triggering arppegiators and pattern generators. Bass line and stutter piano shifted down a fourth.

Rolled a 8 for pitches & a 10 for beats. Took my OP-1 and played the theme with BAGB & 28888. The rest comes up slowly…Have fun!

OK, didn’t use any of the number generator sites - opened 2 pages in a book & reduced the numbers to between 1/20;
8 - 44884

not my usual way of working; actually used notes rather than sounds… strange how you can’t really tell the difference in the final product.
random sound sample input in above sequence; glitched & delayed.

Apologies to anyone who labeled their track “disquiet0297” as it was supposed to be “disquiet0298” and I messed that up in the emailed instructions. I just sent a correction email out.

And … the playlist is now live:

I’ve been playing with a patch on my modular synth for the last few days, playing different length sequences against each other and using a limited set of notes. The patch consists of three sequenced voices and a kind of legato lead sound. It was perfect for this disquiet.

I rolled 3 and 19 which gave me BBCBAB and 8848888. I created also made an 8 step pattern for modulating the envelope lengths, creating a sort of 168 step pattern. For the other patterns, I used the B locrian mode, focussing on the notes A, B and C.

I used a sequencer I made ( https://widdly.github.io/plexus/ ). It has 4 voices, but I swapped the gates of the first two voices so that I could get the different lengths for the melody and rhythm. The legato voice is a saw wave fed into a resonant filter then into a delay pedal then into a vca.

I got 11 and 6, so set about making something different. I saw that the note names were given, but no octaves… so I created a melodic line that spreads over a few octaves, making for a longer and more interesting repeating unit. I then used MuseScore to create a full orchestral piece using that unit. I used canons and also transposed a few of the instruments in thirds and fifths, to create some more interesting textures. I added a few extra notes at the end to allow for a more satisfying ending. I like the way the brain sort of latches on to snippets of melody from each instrument. Although not a particularly good composition, it has some nice moments I might revisit. The overall piece to me has the feel of leaves floating down a stream.

Production Notes

I rolled a combination that gave me a pitch of A-F-E-E and a rhythm of 4-8-8-2. That meant this was pretty much „4 on the floor“ from the start, so I decided to go for a more conventional piece.

You can hear the phrase right from the start and throughout the whole track. It sometimes changes to a different instrument. It is accompanied by another phrase which is slightly longer (one note added), sliced into pieces and spread randomly.

Added some chords (Kontakt), some bass line (Serum), some Reaktor (Piky).
Also, I had an old voice sample from Egoist (a nice iPad app from a Berlin company), which I always wanted to use.

Mixing and making was fun. My daughter liked it, so I consider myself lucky with this one.

Oh, and the „Anonymous Cormorant“ was something Google displayed in the status line when I was looking up the chart Marc provided.

I was trying to imagine a sonification of the last data coming from Cassini as it died tonight, as signal broke down and it came into communication range for the last time. I rolled 3 and 8 on the dice, created a loop of the 2 phrases, inverted the notes in some places and fed the resulting audio through a number of effects recursively.