Disquiet Junto Project 0301: Parts > Sum

Disquiet Junto Project 0301: Parts > Sum
Artfully reduce an album to something less than itself.

Step 1: Download the album 5 Minute Meditations by Lee Rosevere. It’s available here from the record label Happy Puppy Records:

Step 2: The album has 11 tracks. You’ll be focused solely on tracks 1 through 10. Review the material to get a sense of the music.

Step 3: Create a five-minute track of your own using audio extracted from each of the first 10 tracks on the album 5 Minute Meditations. Important: The goal for your track is that while it will contain material from all of those 10 tracks, the end result (the sum) will be less than total of the constituent parts. In other words, your own 5 Minute Meditation will take Rosevere’s source ambient recordings and produce from them something even more ethereal, more ambient, more artfully threadbare.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0301” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this following discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, October 9, 2017. This project was posted in the early afternoon, Manhattan time, on Thursday, October 5, 2017.

Length: The finished track should be roughly five minutes long.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0301” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is required, per the source audio’s Creative Commons license, that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 301st weekly Disquiet Junto project (“Artfully reduce an album to something less than itself”) at:

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

Subscribe to project announcements here:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is the cover of the Lee Rosevere album 5 Minute Meditations, which was the source audio. The music and image are used thanks to a Creative Commons license:

More from Lee Rosevere, who is based in Vancouver, BC, at

The project is now live.

I approached the problem literally, by speeding up the entire album and crossfading the tracks so they fit into five minutes.

Hi Everyone,

Here’s my offering for 0301:

All 10 original tracks were layered on top of each other and the resulting mix noise-reduced (by 30dB) using the ‘noise profile’ from 1 minute into the track. Three quite narrow frequency bands were then extracted, using SpectralLayers with a little more accent on the very top end to explore the resulting digital noise and high-end artefacts …

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

h u

I used all 10 tracks (see below) with a 30-second window for each track to be the most predominant one playing. This was all run through a strange mixer, a couple of Reaktor FX modules, mid-side equalization, and a stereo widener/imager.

recorded each track 30 seconds with AudioShare, build two Samplr Sets one with 6, the other with 4 samples, played Samplr sets through strymon BigSky and recorded in Cubase.
Have fun!

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

The idea here was to create something that sounded fragile and breaking, yet was entirely artificial; a synthetic corruption of the pure tones in the original album. Each of the 10 given tracks were taken in full, then EQed to fall into three types of frequencies: high, medium, and low. These were manipulated individually using ring modulation and heavy distortion. EQ was again applied to each track. Ring modulation, reverb, cutoff, and EQ envelopes were drawn over the whole piece.

I enjoyed this project very much, since at the moment I hardly find time to meditate, and listening a couple of times to the wonderful album by Lee got me in the right frame of mind to get to work. I rather randomly chose several parts from tracks and looked for ways to combine them thinking it in a way a pity to cut something off of this beautiful music, but putting them together attempting to create a tranquil, meditative, soothing, calming atmosphere. I am so in love with Lee´s music, that I hope I managed to create somehting new with his music and still maintaining the beauty of his music.
Now I am very very interested what the other contributions sound like

Five random seconds from each track back to back. The I added five seconds of silence at the start and the end. Then, in Audacity, I used the Paulstretch effect at Stretch Factor 5 and `time Resolution (secs) of 1.25. Then I removed the silence from the beginning and end and slowed down the tempo to give the whole track a five minute duration.

Sections from each of Lee Rosevere’s ten 5 Minute Meditations were combined into an electronic file and accompaniment by string orchestra was added.

The piece is written for Violin, Viola, Cello and String Bass.

The score is located at http://bit.ly/2yMPjH4

loaded all ten tracks into sampler and trimmed them at random; played all in F# with the occasional F thrown in. Recorded two and a half minutes, dropped speed to 50% and added delays

Thank you! This is a very interesting ‘medley’ approach… I like how the abrupt changes indicate a change of location or scene.

Constant live mixing. I altered individual track volumes way down to varying degrees, and made the track panning more extreme. Near the end of the piece I faded out some tracks before others.

Overall, I think it’s very “smoothed out”, which I like, and that dissonant patch near the middle provides some interesting flavor.

Water is distilled when its impurities are removed through boiling, after which the steam is condensed into liquid form. Repeating the steps (a process called double-boiling) renders distilled water of even greater purity.

Ambient music is much like water in that it assumes the shape of its container. Suss Müsik is intrigued by the concept of sound being filtered over time, a single droplet extended until the brain can no longer differentiate between individual tones. The entirety of Pauline Oliveros’ excellent Deep Listening work reflects this approach.

For this piece, Suss Müsik captured a 30-second excerpt from each of the ten tracks on Lee Rosevere’s 5 MInute Meditations. Each excerpt was then sampled and stretched to five minutes each. A 5-second sample was then pulled from this result (an audio form of “double-boiling,” if you will) and again stretched to the five-minute mark.

The ten distilled textures were each played on separate tracks with some form of MIDI instrumentation, for a duration of five minutes apiece, which we then faded in and out in sequential order. The segments overlap by ten to twenty seconds to produce the final result.

The samples felt a little thin, so a subtle deep beat was added to fatten the mix. The drum sound underwent the same “filtration” process described above.

The piece is titled Rosevere. The image is a magnification of water drops viewed from inside a glass jar.

We did something (sort of) similar. At one point following our “distillation” process — see our description for details — we played all ten tracks at once, just out of curiosity. It sounded like a mellotron sicking up.

Comprised of tracks 1 to 10 of Lee Rosevere’s album “5 Minute Meditations”. Layering and effects (the wonderful Glitchmachines FractureXT, Eventide UltraReverb, Pecheneg Tremolo, dfx Buffer Override and Transverb, D16 Antresol and Decimort, SoundToys Filter Freak), and six instances of Ableton Simpler.
Maybe not quite fitting the Junto brief, I struggled to make something yet more minimal than Lee’s gorgeous modulations, so I threw caution to the wind with this one, and worked with the source material as best I could…

Hope you enjoy…

All ten tracks layered ontop of each other. Each of the first 9 with a bandpass filter ascending in frequency by about 10Hz each. The tenth is left intact, though with a flanger added. Grain delay and compression round out the master. Trying to achieve "more less"
This was a challenge as I have mostly only worked with sounds that ive made.
Interesting experience to compose before listening to others submissions, though I really wanted to see what others had done, just so I wasn’t doing the same. fun challenge, thankyou

:grinning: Some brilliant surprises from iterative processes … and a few disappointments :slight_smile:

The sum of all the tracks is all the tracks panned. A bit of dissonance and beats never hurt anyone, right?

Soundcloud’s suggested tracks are obviously made using audio analysis. This time it got it quite well: