Disquiet Junto Project 0302: Gronkytonk

Disquiet Junto Project 0302: Gronkytonk
Record a single in the genre introduced in Malka Older’s novel Infomacracy.

Step 1: There’s a genre of music called “gronkytonk” in Malka Older’s novel Infomacracy. You can see the word in context on this page:

Step 2: Consider what gronkytonk might sound like.

Step 3: Record a gronkytonk single.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0302” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this following discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, October 16, 2017. This project was posted in the late morning, California time, on Thursday, October 12, 2017.

Length: The finished track’s length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0302” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 302nd weekly Disquiet Junto project (“Gronkytonk: Record a single in the genre introduced in Malka Older’s novel Infomacracy) at:

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

Subscribe to project announcements here:

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Photo associated with this project is by Michael Banabila. It’s used via Flickr thanks to a Creative Commons license:

The project is now live.

Here’s the original context of the use of the made-up genre:

perfect storm (almost)
2 random samples played at various random speeds.
loaded into Psycle, split into 3 - left and right tape delay at random settings; center glitched with Hysteriesis - random preset

hardly had to do anything…it just assembled itself - gronky-tonk at its finest

headphones highly recommended for this one

i thought: piano dirge. i thought : i really dislike the word gronkytonk.

found an old solo piano track put through the mangle and guitar fx… detuned and lots of delays.

John Oswald. Am I right? Wish I could be as clever, but not even close. So take this as a shout out to him, Akira Rabelais, Ernest Tubb, Ornette Coleman, Howard Shore, and William S. Burroughs.

Selected this for the Gronk:

And this for the Tonk:

Downloaded them with this:

And processed them with this:

Your mileage may significantly vary.

The playlist is now rolling:

festival in singing mode --> wav
athenaCL --> midi --> timidity --> mp3 --> audacity --> reverb --> flac

The subject reminded me of geese, so some notes from parts of “Honky Tonk Women” turned into a 3 part generative piece and then played by timidity (saxophones) and dumped to an mp3 … everything imported, trimmed and arranged in audacity, reverb applied and exported to a flac file.

lyrics: it’s time to gronk your tonk into the night somehow … I know we’ll stop time … it’s through the air … and smoky is the smell … it’s not hell its where we are right now

for this track, I decided I wanted a dirty rock n roll feel. I also decided to use the worst gear in my collection.

Drums: I used the aluminum pan shown in the picture and put the SM57 underneath it, then banged on the pan. (It’s one of those disposable pans used in a steam tray)

Guitar: I used the Hannah Montana guitar shown here. It’s actually not a terrible guitar–eminently playable, and with a funky loose sound. So to make it sound a bit more wretched, I jammed the SM57 into the sound hole, so that the business end was wedged inside and the back end was dangling out of the guitar. This made it impossible to play the high strings, but I figured I didn’t really want to get too fancy anyway. I tripled the result for that epic arena-rock feel :slight_smile:

Piano: I took the keyboard shown here, turned it all the way up, and played it while holding the SM57 against the speaker. It occasionally malfunctioned while recording, or maybe that was me (hah!)

Vocals: I inserted the Sony micro-cassette recorder into my mouth and sang (“sang”). I did have lyrics but thought, why bother–incomprehensible anyway. I just improvised. I then recorded off the Sony’s internal speaker using–yup–the SM57.

Last, the little wooden coffin shown here makes a spooky sound when opened, so I stuck that on the front end. (It’s a box my daughter made to hold my guitar picks)

Put the guitars and piano thru amp plug-ins, added various bits of limiting, EQ and reverb here and there. Voila! Dirty rock n roll!

Hey All, The music genre gronkytonk was the direct result of the nefarious chemist Henry Dillinger and his partner in crime, the artist known as Detritus Tabu, and their musical tours crisscrossing the Southeastern United States in the early 2020’s. Dillinger developed a syrup that combined opioid, psychedelic and cannabinoid properties that they would distribute to the audience at the music shows they would put on. The drink was dispensed in small whiskey bottles like those commonly seen on airplanes. The bottle had a simple label on it that said “GRONK” 3 times and was handwritten with a red Sharpie pen. The drink was given free of charge before each show. It was a sweet drink that had a grape flavor that many found quite delicious. The effects on people varied from euphoria to severe drowsiness but there were no reports of overdoses or violence associated with the shows. The music at the shows consisted of Hank Williams Sr. songs pitched and slowed down considerably with a heavy kick drum for a beat. A looper fx was used to create a fast tempo jam at the end of each song in which the audience would form a huddle and spin slowly around together. The last show was held at the Cow Palace in Corbin, Kentucky after which the converted school bus that the pair toured in exploded on a country road later that night. Two bodies were found inside the bus but the remains could not be positively identified. The GRONK bottles became collectors items usually sale for around 300 Trump dollars on ebay. The recordings taken from the soundboards are the only known authentic “gronkytonk” recordings known to exist. Gronkytonk made a brief comeback in the 2050’s after this track appeared in the popular horror film “Hillbilly Hitman”(2052- Paramount).

Peace, Hugh

OK, so I went a bit Sci Fi soundscape with the intro. I’ve recently re-watched Blade Runner and was thinking about the music playing in the night club scene when Deckard calls Rachel…

Long Sci Fi soundscape intro, then mutated vocal samples, vocoders, analog drums and a “guitar” solo on a Korg Kronos.

Greetings from Gronkytown
Gronkytown it’s the birthplace of Gronky Music.
It’s in the North.
It’s underground.

For this track I used standard Gronkymusic instrumentation: electric guitar, delays, synths and noises.

Photo by Yeshi Kangrang

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

The word ‘gronkytonk’, coined by Malka Older in her novel ‘Infomocracy’ was considered while making this piece of music.

The majority of this track was created using a Steim Kraakdoos (Cracklebox). Parts of this were programmed to a beat, other sections were made into synthlines.

A drum machine was added to give the track more drive and movement.

Additionally, a single synth (Bitboy) was dispersed throughout.

Actually not totally sure what triphop is, but it sounded like what I meant! The Gronk:

I decided to go with a basic blues structure, but wanted to push it towards the noise and full-stops of Brazilian samba. Then, I realized that anything called gronkytonk would OF COURSE have to feature New England’s own, The Gronk. For the rest, I tweaked various brass jazz practice sessions with paulstretch, pitch and tempo changes, wahwah and reverb, until they became serviceably noisy tracks for rhythm and melody, which I then cut up and staggered.

great prompt! (gronkytonk)

Hello Juntonians!

404(Where Have I Been){disquiet0302}
I love new genres, so open to interpretation! For myself, gronky-tonk implied an end of night, gritty winding down after a long bout of craziness. Of course it had to have a steel guitar and a slow shuffle, so that’s where I started. Six tracks in Logic; drums, steel guitar, bass guitar, lead guitar, suitcase piano and synth bass. All of these simple parts have some variation of pedal board, mostly distortion and fuzz :slight_smile: But the real fun comes on the master channel, a nice Space Designer verb and an automated send to Glithmachines Hysteresis for a fun glitchy feedback end :smiley:
The name could be the length, the time of day, location, the state of being or state of mind…so many choices, too little time!

Excellent prompt Marc :smiley:

In the future, 60’s punk rock and 2010’s trap dominate, and lead to Gronkytonk. An instrumental, stripped of its obscene, to our ears, lyrics: I came up with a chord progression as a throw-away, added lead guitar then loops of vocals (int the wrong key) then bass synth. Compression helps somewhat in the final mix…