Disquiet Junto Project 0303: Out of Sequence

DrMotte

Disquiet Junto Project 0303: Out of Sequence
Pay tribute to the Roland 303 by doing something that is apart from how you think it was intended to be utilized.

Step 1: This is the 303rd weekly Disquiet Junto project since the series of compositional prompts was founded the first week of January 2012. Naturally, we’re paying tribute to the Roland TB-303.

Step 2: If you have a TB-303, well, congrats to you. If you (likely) don’t, consider one of the various emulators that have come out for it, or just pay tribute to it by other means. There are a variety of emulations out there, including this one:

There’s also, of course, Roland’s own tribute, the TB-3.

Step 3: Record a short piece of music that is somehow apart from how you think the 303 was intended to be utilized.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0303” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, October 23, 2017. This project was posted in the early evening, California time, on Thursday, October 19, 2017.

Length: The finished track’s length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0303” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 303rd weekly Disquiet Junto project (“Out of Sequence: Pay tribute to the Roland 303 by doing something that is apart from how you think it was intended to be utilized) at:

https://disquiet.com/0303/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0303-out-of-sequence/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Photo associated with this project is by Dr. Motte. It’s used via Flickr thanks to a Creative Commons license:

flic.kr/p/kG6St

creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

And the project is now live.

We were to tweak a 303 to new territory. I took a route more in lines of Freiband than Plastikman, forcing my modular into a 303 beat driven land. Recorded 1 track, duplicated and track 2 over a tiny bit to get a great stereo sound.

My initial idea was to finally make use of the Roland TB-3 I bought this year but I really want to use it to make acid.

Then I remembered this tune from a couple of years back and think it does a good job of putting a 303 emulator into a new-ish context. Sure it’s a 303 bassline but it’s a song with a very metal aesthetic.

Still hope to record some acid to share over the weekend though.

https://soundcloud.com/user-812536319/drone303-disquiet0303

I might be wrong but, as far as I’m aware, Roland never really had the intention that the 303 should be used to produce dark, drone-based soundscapes. Personally, I think they missed a trick - it’s an obvious use for their famous ‘squelchy’ bass synthesiser :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In simple terms, here’s my method to transform a 16 step pattern (32bpm) into a dark soundscape…

ABL3 (303 emulation) > 4 x delay / reverb sends > 2 x Michael Norris spectral plugins (+ auto-panning + reverb)

Real time changes were made to the 303’s cut off as the track played through, but that was the only adjustment made.

I’m out this week as travelling. Shame.

I’m in this week, squelching as we speak! Joy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-208393504/sorry-lve-the-505

Created by DD on Friday October 20th in the morning for junto project #303:
"Record a short piece of music that is somehow apart from how you think the 303 was intended to be utilized."

All sounds here are the actual samples (waveforms) from the Roland TB303 but used on different sample player and soft-synths.
Tried to use the TB-303 in a “contra-natura” way somehow.
I guess most people using this great little toy usually stick to the normal 4/4 time signature, in my time using drum machines and sequencers I was striving hard to make beats in “weird” signatures so I went for it now that I’m free from the hardware UI an restrictions.

This is a maniac and stubborn (albeit a bit lyrical) 7x4 beat using bass waveforms from the TB 303 in my own 2017 workflow.

I wanted to retain the classic 303 trademark Acid sound but imagine it was sitting alongside strings and piano on a formal concert stage…!
Acid sounds come in about 40 seconds but really get going after a minute or so…

Well, given the 303 started life as a means for guitarists to have simple basslines without the need for a bass player, pretty much everything it has ever been used for meets this criteria :slight_smile:
I have a FAT FB-383 which is a fully analog TB303 “clone” which I haven’t used in ages. So, I dug this out, dusted it off, and set to work. Initially, I thought about playing folk tunes on it live, but it didn’t quite work out, so I took my Dark Time sequencer and created a 15-note sequence, which I could then use with panned echo for creating space. I wanted to start out not sounding like the classic 303 acid sound, but I did want that sound to make an appearance at least. I set the notes of the sequence quite high, so not using it for basslines. I also took the output and ran it through a filter (Ripples - which is a Roland filter clone, quite good for squelchy acid basslines, though not used that way here) and an echo (Disting) before running that into Clouds for glitchy sampling. To this, I added a BS2 on a sound that uses the 303 style ‘Acid’ filter, using a very slow arpeggio - this is added to the mix entirely wet with reverb - no original signal is included. I also added three Doepfer oscillators - one static, one gently moving, and the other with a fast sequence. These were put through a single filter (uVCF) and again all reverb and no signal into the mix. I added a bit of echo as I faded the signals in and out, which brings a little of the original signal in as the track progresses. I then set about live tweaking all of this to create something a bit Berlin School - certainly not what the original TB303 was intended for. The FB383 makes an appearance initially via clouds, but at around the 5 minute mark in its raw form. This is a single live take - no overdubbing, all manual tweaking of sounds and levels.

Love weird time sigs, especially when they work that well! Mine is in 15/8 :slight_smile:

That works really well - love the way the track evolves from its calm beginnings.

messed around with the 303 emulator at 350bpm and 100,000bpm and managed to crash the browser. not before recording some nonsense tho. had this running thru protoplasm, sine chorus, echo platter and ozone imager. as echo platter makes it more formless imager should have increased the stereo width. mastered in audition.

The playlist is rolling:

took a 3.03 second snippet from a recording made at 303bpm on the Acid Machine 2 303 emulator and Paulstretched it 303 times which came out at 15 mins, so edited it down to 3mins 03secs with 3.03 secs fade in + out.

Just looked and you posted this 3 minutes ago! I’ll try and listen to it 3.03 times!

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

A simple 303 pattern (using Bioroid Creakbox) was recorded and a small section was sliced into microfragments to form a custom synth. This was then copied, pasted, cross-faded, and pitch-shifted over multiple layers to form an ambient outline of the piece. Subtle (and not-so-subtle) distortion and cut-off filters were overlaid, and each strata was given band EQ.

The final touch was to pitch-shift the entire track up an octave, drown the whole thing in reverb both forwards and in reverse, then mix it deep in the undertow of the piece.

This one kind of happened by chance . . .

I told a friend about the latest disquiet brief over lunch at work. After booting up the errozero acid machine on his PC, he started messing around whilst eating - the last bit of his wonderful spontaneous play was caught on iphone, comments and all. This was going to be the source material for a composition, but I realised it was already a beautifully sculpted little sonic entity all of its own already, so I ended up just topping, loop-tailing and mastering it a bit to bring out the random traffic noise, air con and mouse clicks . . .