Disquiet Junto Project 0304: Let's Buzz

marked-queen-1640094_640

Disquiet Junto Project 0304: Let’s Buzz
Create a piece of music by thinking of the structure of a bee hive.

Step 1: Consider the bee hive. Think about its structure, the activity it contains, how the hive lends form to that activity and how the activity contributes to the hive’s form.

Step 2: Create a piece of music that is based on the structure of the bee hive.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0304” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this following discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, October 30, 2017. This project was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, October 26, 2017.

Length: The finished track’s length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0304” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 304th weekly Disquiet Junto project (“Let’s Buzz: Create a piece of music by thinking of the structure of a bee hive) at:

https://disquiet.com/0304/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0304-lets-buzz/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

1 Like

The project is now live.

1 Like

Some honey bee recordings:

https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=t-11139707&searchField=animals&q=honey%20bee%20-%20Apis%20mellifera

5 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/user-208393504/apecar-disquiet304

2 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/user-941288896-491859901/hive-disquiet0304

6 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/total_energy/death-at-de-bijenkorfdisquiet0304

my husband and i were talking about this project ie. talking bees, when the dutch department store de Bijenkorf popped into my head. then I think i got sad about bees, lol. all the string tracks were made with presets on an EXS24 in Logic. cheers!

7 Likes

A gentleman at work was playing an Indonesian instrument at an event, a mallet instrument with 10 notes. I recorded the scale (with his permission) and I asked a group of friends to generate strings of integers between 0 and 9 (without playing them them scale), then used those strings as melodies. The result was the track “crowdsource gamelan” (the scale, incidentally, is F major pentatonic).

To repurpose this track, I shortened all the strings to six digits (six notes)–reflecting the hexagonal structure of a beehive) and re-played the clips in Ableton(re-creating the song from scratch). In triggering the clips i tried to balance symmetry and structure with randomness–much as in the structure of an actual beehive. The synth is a Live mallet-instrument patch, with some panning and EQ to create a bit of layering.

6 Likes

Live in the Hive: The Queen Speaks

lots of bees…

3 Likes

Pulsing, throbbing, slightly dissonant… are the words I’d use to describe the sound of a hive. For this weeks turn I used a bunch of Reaktor ensembles to create something pulsing, throbbing and slightly dissonant in minimally technoish kind of way.

4 Likes

Hey All, Penciled in a some honeycomb shapes on a midi roll.Went full bee on a synth. Freaked out a guitar with a bouncy beat. This poem excerpt was perfect.

Peace, Hugh

3 Likes

made by converting a beehive picture into sound using
flexibeatz.weebly.com/paint2sound.html 6 seconds of which was recorded in Audacity then layered and looped 6 times in Ableton with 6 second fade ins and pitched up & down in increments of 6 semitones then panned in 6 directions, all to mimic the structure of a hexagon… sort of. the end result came out so noisy that it resembled an apocalyptic event and after further reading about beehives I came across www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-08/c…g-to-bees/8507408 it seemed to fit.

4 Likes

Using the Acid Machine 2 from last week´s disquiet junto to create an underlying rhythm to resemble the constant movement and noise in a bee hive. When you watch a bee hive - the same with ants, for example - there seems to be constant chaos everywhere, but it all is so unbelievably organized, every bee has its task and knows exactly what to do. Unfortunately, with the excessive use of pesticides, one of the disastrous effects is that they have effect on the bees´memory, which they are losing if exposed to too much pesticides. - But this fits in with other effects of us polluting mother nature earth, like 57% of the insects having become extinct…But this is another story.
I wanted to represent both aspects with my three little miniatures, busy as a bee…the seeming chaos and the organized and regulated structure behind it.
Now, I am very excited to listen to what the other participants create with this topic. Have a nice weekend

6 Likes

I did a bees thing

2 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/cboulter/october-27th-2017-disquiet0304

Here’s mine. Synthetic bees, getting busy inside their synthetic hive. Six tone scale, six step shift register for the hexagons.

Done mainly on the eurorack: Ornament and Crime is the main culprit covering the shift register and the scale, under a certain amount of modulation. Four triangle-y waves are different types of bees, then run through some fx to make them sound like there are more of them. Some hissy and scrapey noises added for evidence of their industry.

3 Likes

at the weekend we were trying to find my uncle’s house and i remarked that we would’ve found it easier if told it was near the houses that looked like beehives.
i didnt know that hives referred to manmade structures - bees make nests.

i thought about honeycomb structure before on this album: https://sevenism.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-air

here, i wanted to tessellate hexagons of notes (but all that means is i played 2 notes at 3 simultaneous octaves). i used a sample of bees inside a hive (https://freesound.org/people/pillonoise/sounds/353199/) and tried to make it musical with lots of fx.

⬡⬡⬡⬡⬡⬡

5 Likes

Hello Juntonia! :slight_smile:

No electronic tweaking this week, just messing around with recordings of marbles or ball bearings in a salad spinner. A swarm of each and then a ‘lead line’ of just 7 marbles interacting.

Have a great week!

H U :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Suss Müsik once visited a biodynamic farm in Kentucky. The influence that bees have our ecosystems, both natural and artificial, cannot be overstated. The basic structure of a honeycomb can be found replicated in a variety of industrial uses, from thermoplastic engineering to aerospace.

The architecture of a honeycomb is both hexagonal and quasihorizontal, meaning that each layer is built with a set of open and closed facets. The open ends are shared by opposing cells, which strengthen as they nest into one another. This ensures that the least amount of material is used while protecting the comb’s structure when honey is harvested.

For this weirdly pastoral piece, Suss Müsik sought to create a hexagonal and quasihorizontal musical composition using a similar approach. We played six “cells” on acoustic guitar with open ends, each sounding incomplete when played in isolation. It is only when the fragments are butted against each other that a musical function emerges.

To replicate the spirit of worker bees toiling, a subtle tambourine rhythm keeps time as the guitar parts ebb and flow, perhaps referencing the result of honey being harvested. Just as hexagonal patterns discourage bees from building larger combs, the lattice of guitars is constrained by the simple economy of a repetitious strum in three drone-like phases.

The piece is titled Broodcomb, named after cocoons that darken over time. This is the effect of “travel stains” caused by bees working inside cells of unharvested honey.

5 Likes

For this 304th Disquiet Junto project, I focused less on the structure of the hive and more on the structure of the swarm. There’s two drones (just realized this is a great dadjoke pun) that react to a central sequence, a hive reacting to itss queen. As the queen’s emotion changes, the bees respond. Recorded on four tracks of cassette tape with MN Phonogene and MI Clouds playing the part of the drones, Rene / STO / DPO FM’ing providing the core drone samples and the central voice of the queen.

4 Likes

I wanted to use pairs of oscillators sharply PWMing each other to give the impression of both interaction and flight. I chose a pentatonic scale to represent the harmony of the swarm. Polyphony and some panning gives the impression of different members of the hive coming and going. Originally I planned on many more takes to create a denser picture but settled on a more restrained scene.

6 Likes

The process of conceiving of this was to 1) test out the ES General CV in a more directed way than I had been over the past week 2) evoke the manifold scale of activity inside and outside of a hive. So, in 3-layer Arp mode with modulation from Tides and Rene, a Vibraphone, Xylophone, and warm pad were fed into Clouds in Beat Repeat mode. The triggering of the GCV and the slicing of the resulting sound were in 3/1 and 3/2 polyrhythms to organize the hexagonal primary and triangular Bravais lattices of graphene (the album art). The drones are vocals and Mangrove: the vocals mimicking the sound of standing in an active apiary and the Mangrove calling back to a childhood memory of a low droning pulsation coming from a hive that had formed in my bedroom wall. Further vocals processed through Morphagene are sliced up and granularized version of me counting – i.e. just number station fun – to image the life of a worker drone.

6 Likes