Disquiet Junto Project 0304: Let's Buzz

I wanted to use pairs of oscillators sharply PWMing each other to give the impression of both interaction and flight. I chose a pentatonic scale to represent the harmony of the swarm. Polyphony and some panning gives the impression of different members of the hive coming and going. Originally I planned on many more takes to create a denser picture but settled on a more restrained scene.

The process of conceiving of this was to 1) test out the ES General CV in a more directed way than I had been over the past week 2) evoke the manifold scale of activity inside and outside of a hive. So, in 3-layer Arp mode with modulation from Tides and Rene, a Vibraphone, Xylophone, and warm pad were fed into Clouds in Beat Repeat mode. The triggering of the GCV and the slicing of the resulting sound were in 3/1 and 3/2 polyrhythms to organize the hexagonal primary and triangular Bravais lattices of graphene (the album art). The drones are vocals and Mangrove: the vocals mimicking the sound of standing in an active apiary and the Mangrove calling back to a childhood memory of a low droning pulsation coming from a hive that had formed in my bedroom wall. Further vocals processed through Morphagene are sliced up and granularized version of me counting – i.e. just number station fun – to image the life of a worker drone.

Inspired by the hexagonal harmonic table of the C-Thru Axis, and grantmuller.com/projects/harmonictable/, clicked on C, then the six notes bordering C, then the 12 notes bordering those six, then the 16 notes bordering those.

Multiple instances of Loom 2 and AAS String Studio, and the mandatory delays and reverbs… PSP Stomp Delay, Eos, Modnetic and UltraReverb. Closing out on a CC0 recording of bees by the hive.

Hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/horde-disquiet-0304

https://soundcloud.com/nuunnuun/beehive-disquiet0304

I’m stoked to (finally) submit a track to a junto project! I’ve been following it for a long time but never managed to take part. Until now!

/// process
I started by looking at pictures of beehives on google. From there i got the idea to create a midi track in Ableton and manually ‘paint’ the structure of the beehive with midi notes. I then looking for the appropriate instrument to play these midi notes. I choose Aalto’s FM Plonk (by Richard Devine). I tweaked the settings a little to suit my taste (a little more reverb for example).
Thereafter i remembered i had a recording of bees (and frogs) from a couple of years back. I added this layer. The result is a mixture highly abstract synthetic sounds, representing the structure of the beehive, with the sounds of the bees themselves, buzzing around and in this structure.

/// tools
Ableton live
Aalto by Madronalabs

///
Screenshot of the Midi Beehive :slight_smile:

“I remembered I had a recording of bees (and frogs)” made us smile :smile:

Awesome track. Extra points for including a MIDI schematic.

First Junto. And first time posting new music in over 15 years (!) Thanks @disquiet for the constraints and inspiration.

Main sequence derived from hexagon shaped pattern on the grid keyboard.
6/8 timing.
Background drone.

This is beautifull! I’m glad you’re posting music again :slight_smile:

i thought to make something in 6/8 time to reflect the cell structure of the hive. there would be a ‘queen’ sound which would continually replicate itself. after listening to many samples of hives this is what came out. the concepts are not really reflected, but there is a swelling, chaotic, yet unified feeling.
virus ti, squarp pyramid, delays, panning, filter and compression applied in ableton.

https://soundcloud.com/ethanhein/live-from-the-hive-disquiet0304

When I think beehives, I think hexagons, so that was my organizing principle. The electronic percussion play a pattern from the Groove Pizza consisting of three rotated hexagons, like so: apps.musedlab.org/groovepizza/?sou…museid=SyJNQyrRZ

The bassline and synth parts have buzzy tones and play an augmented triads and a hexatonic scale, respectively. The synth is modulated by some Muddy Waters guitar riffs from his song “Honey Bee,” which beside the title has a nice 12/8 triplet feel for more hexagonalness. Finally, there are some samples of the whole tone scale riff from “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” by Stevie Wonder - the whole tone scale forms a hexagon both on the chromatic circle and the circle of fifths.

Whoa Groove Pizza! That’s way more than 20 characters of cool.

I just tried to make some hive-like sounds, all in the box in FL Studio, ended up using a load of arps and recording loads of messing about then and edited it frantically to have it submitted on time!

Lots of buzzing and humming and…

Got a little off track :-/ Started out looking for three parts to represent the castes in a 6/8 time for hexagon recognition. Lack of time and vision turned a three part mixed time signature masterpiece into this mess of beats and noise ;-D Three instances of Retrosynth, one ES1 and one ES2, along with Drum Machine and Ultrabeat were used in Logic, with questionable results. I do think this fits the darker side of hive life, especially around these parts. The queen outside once before a life of laying eggs, workers taking care of everyone and the sad plight of the drone, mate and die instantly or banished to starvation and a frozen death in winter! Oh well, enjoy your honey, many lives were given for it :slight_smile:

Here’s mine: https://soundcloud.com/plusch/hexatonic-disquiet0304

Focusing on the hexagonal structure of a beehive, I made this piece in 6/8 time and used a hexatonic scale (the whole tone scale C D E F♯ G♯ A♯). And for the synth in the background, I felt I had to use u-he’s Hive!

Variation on my first submission for this week. Created a chord sequence using the same notes as in my first Bee junto… Played into the same synth tracks… Just for a bit of fun!

• The hexagonal shape of the honey combs was the frame for this piece.
  • The first sequence was six notes. Starting in the lower left of a hexagon and moving clockwise, was root, b5, octave, octave, b5, root. The pattern alternated having the root as D or G.
  • A second pattern - played at the same time - was made by imagining a vertical line moving left to right across the hexagon. This gave a four note pattern of 4th, root & 7, root & 7, and 4th. That sequence also alternated having the root at D or G.

Dear people, sad circumstances took me away from my studio, my city, my country and this usual weekly joint, but now from a terrace in an hospital far away from home I’m enjoying the playlist so much…
Some extraordinary tracks this week, great soundtrack for this Halloween sunset.
A bit difficult for me to comment on every single track I like but overall a great breed.
Bravo everybody, really enjoying your contributions.
Love
DD

I wish your father a speedy recovery and you a safe return home … peace.

Thanks, it grew out of my NYU masters thesis and is one of my proudest accomplishments in life.

Hope you’re on the mend.