Disquiet Junto Project 0305: Three Princes

Hi, I have followed for a while, but this is my first submission!
I started with short samples from tracks 10, 101, and 3.

One of my tracks had a long intro dialog that I decided to keep and layer in, but outside of time-stretching and reverb, I tried not to do too much.

Welcome to the Junto, @Justmat.

Thanks! 20 characters… :smile:

Hey All, I tried to keep it simple. I was more attracted to loops of the non music sort. I like how the music part becomes like an announcement that repeats. I was thinking Origin is a teleportation/Time Travel Station. Humans have spilt their seed throughout TKU and not yet found any intelligent life forms. At the Origin station humans that have evolved millions of years on a million different planets get together briefly before moving on to their destinations. The Master of the Station(somekind of unknown intelligence) has agreed to allow teleportation service but only between compatible planets and times. The Origin is the only place where all human forms can meet and try to find agreements to disputes. Needless to say it is a very busy place. Luckily all screaming and loud talking is done telepathically.

Peace, Hugh

My loops came from “Aadarayai_Karunawai” and “Sri_Maha_Bodhimulehi” and “Umba_Kiya_Kiya” but they ended up being relatively in sync. It just seemed to happen near the end, after I swapped the 6/8 percussion sample for a 5/4 one, I noticed the loops were 20, 10 and 5 beats.

There’s a screenshot and a bit more reflection on my blog here.

In a sense, William Golding’s classic 1954 novel Lord of the Flies examines serendipity gone wrong: a group of young British boys are randomly isolated on a remote island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Unconstrained by parental supervision, laws or even personal ethics, the children’s behavior is increasingly fueled by hormonal desperation and a hunger for conquest—a social parallel to one’s loss of innocence.

There is a lovely accidental moment at the 00:15 mark of “Wandanawe Yamu Pevila Thisarana Sile Wadimta,” likely an audio artifact created when someone pressed the Pause button on their recorder. There is also a fantastic vocal loop that occurs naturally at the end of “Man Rikzo Karaya,” and a terrific interlude in “Aatha Chandana Ime” that braids distant voices into a violent, wailing cacophony. It’s great stuff.

Suss Müsik employed these three elements to create this weird, creepy piece. The piece begins with the first loop sounding almost like a jack-in-the-box or some other children’s toy. A percussive phrase was then created from a small sample of that loop and played as a melody. Meanwhile, two other loops were stretched and phased at different binaural settings, concluding with the bleat of a fourth sample played via EWI device. There’s a little shaky percussion in there as well.

The result made Suss Müsik recall this quote from Golding’s novel: “I was asleep when the twisty things were fighting and when they went away I was awake, and I saw something big and horrid moving in the trees.” Happy weekend!

The piece is titled Mountaz, a rough derivative of the Persian word مونتاز which means “assembly.” The image is a gold-painted leaf.

Great result working with the material that chance gave you.

Using sidechain compression was a good idea. I like the way it pushes the parts in and out of focus, as well as the mixing between them.

Nice. Which track is that percussion part in the opening from? I want to play with that!

Wow! I like what you’ve done here. I’d been tempted to just take the record noises.

Were the piano lines generated from the Sri Lankan loops?

Ha! I’m imagining a battle of sound systems.

Dreamy. The loops drift in and out like an attempt to sleep off alcohol on a busy beach.

I chose my three records on the basis of their cool titles: “Chi Chi Chi Mage Kendare,” “Doi Doi Doi Doiya Putha” and “Don Don Don Dontha.” As instructed, I found a short sample from each one. But rather than just loop and layer them and hope for the best, I went ahead and warped them out so their tempos aligned. I did keep some of the random spirit of the project - the loops aren’t all in the same time signature, so they go in and out of phase satisfyingly. I put on some beats of my own, plus a sample of “The Lesson Part III” by The Roots.

This was definitely one of the tougher ones.

I used a random generator to select three tunes (45, 69 and 138), select the number of seconds into each one (60, 36, and 52) and number of seconds to select for each one (6, 2 and 5).

I looped each in a separate track and faded each track in and out. I listened for something interesting as the tracks collided then tried writing to point to those parts.

Finally, I filled in with variations of the parts I had written to.

This piece includes Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Alto and Tenor Saxophones, and Bassoon.

Cheers -

I was really going to do it right until I heard the intro to “Suralo Sapa De” and I threw everything out the window but making the loops. I cheated and used three phrases from the very beginning of that track because they were too beautiful to leave behind. Took the birdsong from Surathal Ranwan Samanalayo so I guess technically I have an extra prince.

Overlaid some bass and a DX7 “sitar” patch, both with a lot of processing to get the final track.

Here’s mine. I pretty much followed the instructions to the letter.

• Took three tracks chosen by random number generation
  • Made some arbitrary-ish loops out of sections from those tracks
  • Put them into Logic, time stretched them as far as it can, then looped them for a few minutes.
  • Played them back via two methods: through an 4ms SMR set to ‘Indian Pentatonic’ scale; and sampled a chunk into a Morphagene
  • Also, used a comparator / envelope follower to derive some percussion from it.
  • Added some more texture using some ambience through MI Clouds.
  • Added some fairly random modulation from a number of sources.

My kids reckon it sounded like ‘ghost music’. That’s good enough for me.

Tracks 6, 14, and 114 were used for this piece.

Apologies for the lack of interaction of late, but whenever I’m away for a bit, the return is always an enlightening experience on the depth of talent and originality this group possesses, and as always I am humbled!
Once again, thanks Marc!
Vive les Junto :smiley:

I was thinking about extracting some bits and pieces of the loops into Simpler - but Una Cordt just beats it :wink:

I decided to just listen to the source material and see if anything stuck out. I heard bits in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th tracks that I really liked and thought would work nicely together, so instead of spending more time searching I just decided to go for it. I did have to cheat with one section - it was about 8.5 seconds so I doubled its speed to halve its length. With the three loops running together, I kept envisioning a really nice ambient, melodic piece. So… I accentuated some things with EQ and volume, pitched some things around a little, and started playing with effects. I’ve been trying different combos of plugins to accomplish the Eno/Lanois “shimmer” effect lately - the tracks got a mix of delay, reverb, and pitch-shifting all feeding into each other in a controlled feedback loop (or matrix might be more accurate?). Lastly I put a bit of EQ on the master to help push the stereo image outward and clear up some muddiness in the middle. There was a limiter last in the chain just to be safe but I don’t think it ever reached the threshold.